Ford 460 hesitating

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be great Jerry, thank you very much!

The procedure for attaching a file is the same as for attaching a photo, see here. If the file is too large for an attachment, you can always email it to me (click the 'envelope' icon beneath my avatar). Jim can also get it to me, so whichever works best for you.

Thanks Jim. No big rush, whenever you have time.

Removing and Replacing the tank is quite simple once the fuel is out of it.,  the  replacement of the pump and filter are right on too once the tank is down.    Not a difficult task  Much easier than on a Ford van or pickup,  It's just a larger tank.

Attached is the procedure I used to replace the fuel pump on our Bounder

Attachments

• Changing fuel filter on Bouinder.doc
    24 KB · Views: 45
Jim,
Thanks. That sounds pretty straightforward. Now I need to get a pump ordered and beg, borrow, or steal a floor jack. Down to about 15 gallons of fuel in the tank, so I should be able to transfer that to some Gerry cans... or run the generator until the batteries have about 1200ah in them. ::)

Karl,

The floor jack I used was a small one, 4000# that I carry on the motorcycle trailer.  And I do not think I was much lower on gas in the tank than you are now. 

Forum member Jerry Groah kindly provided his procedure for changing the in-tank fuel pump on a Ford on an F-53 Chassis. I've combined this with Jim's procedure for dropping the tank on his 1991 31? Bounder and uploaded the combined procedure to the forum library.

Thanks to Jerry and Jim for providing their respective procedures.

I've dropped them on a couple of units when we where  doing a lot of repairing older units and never used a jack.   Good ole knees and blocks of wood can do the trick.

I can see it now. A Bounder sitting out in the desert all by itself with its fuel tank sitting on top of a skeleton beneath the coach. ::) ::)

I can see it now. A Bounder sitting out in the desert all by itself with its fuel tank sitting on top of a skeleton beneath the coach.
... and an Attack Cat nibbling away at the parched bones while the coyotes circle, waiting their turn  ;D I haven't ordered the pump yet, but be assured I will keep you all informed of my progress... or lack thereof. With my luck, the tank will strike a piece of piezo-quartz, and the rest will be just a warm and fuzzy memory ::)

Karl  Where is this unit sitting. Better yet where will it be when you work on it.  If I'm anywhere near you, I'd be  more then willling to assist you in the dropping and working on the uniit.  Just let me know where and when

Lake Pleasant not that far from here and I do have a couple of Jacks just in case as well as a vacuum tester and pry bars for lifting.

Oops, error  on my part  :-[  ... Jerry's procedure is for changing the auxiliary fuel pump external to the tank, not the in-tank pump. I'll get it corrected when we stop for the night. Apologies if it caused any confusion.

Heck  om  I've never followed directions or instructions in my life, no sense in starting now.  I've always learned the hard way.

Back
Top Bottom