Valance Removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prairiegirl

I am doing window treatments in my trailer.  I hate the Valances!  I would like to put up regular curtain rods so I can cover whole window with curtain.  Has anyone used just the plain curtain rod that stands out 2 1/2 inches so I can mount blinds behind curtain?  Do they shake off when rolling down the road?  Thanks, Mary

That's a great question.
We are doing the same thing.
Haven't tried driving with them yet.
Not quite at that point of putting everything back together.

It all depends on the interior wall construction. Most RVs have thin wall panels that don't hold screws or nails worth a damn, so yes they would probably fall off. You may be able to find something a bit more solid close enough to mount the brackets with short screws, or you may have space to use hollow wall anchor of some type (good hardware stores should have several varieties available).  If you can get something like that in, they should hold up ok as long as the curtains aren't real heavy.

I went to pinterest and saw quite a few remodeled trailers sporting old fashion curtain rods.  Gary is right about paper thin walls.  I plan on adding 1/2" wood to wall above windows.  I will fasten it to the studs, and then hang mini-blinds and the pull down roller blinds to it.The curtains will cover the blinds.  I have started removing the valance above the dining nook.  I have a wood planner that I can use to thin the wood.  I may replace the wood trim around the windows with real wood and trim it out like a "real" window.  I'll post pictures when it comes to that.  The fabric I am using for most of the windows is sunscreen fabric.  It is very light weight.  It will let any breeze there is through the windows, allow light, and yet obscure the view that is offered both from people looking in and dogs looking out.  At night or when needed I have mini and roller blinds.

That's the plan...
Mary

prairiegirl said:
I am doing window treatments in my trailer.  I hate the Valances!  I would like to put up regular curtain rods so I can cover whole window with curtain.  Has anyone used just the plain curtain rod that stands out 2 1/2 inches so I can mount blinds behind curtain?  Do they shake off when rolling down the road?  Thanks, Mary

I did it on my Winnebago,... no problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MrWvn_l4Oc

I hate those valances and removed them on both of my class As. I bought blackout drapes and curtain rods at Walmart and attached them to the wall with screws.

tngw1500se said:
My seat faces backwards now!!! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you're very welcome...lol I post the wrong video :D, but if you go on my you tube's theres a bunch more,.. rv's ,wheel bearing failure,fix it stuff,... shocks , sumo's how to quiet a v-10..where the rattles are under the floor... handling fixes...hill tests .. gaser vs diesel on 6% grades ... allegro pulling a triple axel trailer with the backs kit...boats, schiadas halletts and the baddest cheeta deck with a 525 ...my journey,and my excursion dp's

MYRV2, you really did a great job. Your drapes look like they came with your rig. You have a nice coach.  My trailer is a work in progress going very slowly.  It seems every time I start a simple "fix me up" a half dozen new things pop up.  I do enjoy working on it and it's good to see the small steps forward.  I come to this forum to see what a great improvements people make to their rigs.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Mary

prairiegirl said:
MYRV2, you really did a great job. Your drapes look like they came with your rig. You have a nice coach.  My trailer is a work in progress going very slowly.  It seems every time I start a simple "fix me up" a half dozen new things pop up.  I do enjoy working on it and it's good to see the small steps forward.  I come to this forum to see what a great improvements people make to their rigs.  Thanks for the inspiration.

Mary

sold that    one and got an alpine 34'r    check it out in the remodel sec...

I hated our valences, too! So what I did was remove the valences and was lucky enough to have regular curtain rods underneath to use for hanging my handmade curtains. We did have to replace some hardware but used small screws to attach them and they look great.

I used caf? clips and a lighter weight material with backing. So the curtains open and close with ease.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom