Weighing camper and truck for GCWR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

71newlands

Hi I know i read it here somewhere  but cant find it now  Where can i take my truck and camper to get weighed for GCWR?  Thanks in advance for any help

I use the CAT scales at truck stops. They usually charge about $10 for the first weigh and $2 or each additional re-weigh done same day.
https://catscale.com/cat-scale-locator/

Reggie

The local moving company has certified scales available for public use. $10 gets you two axles...or two wheels if you want to weigh then individually.

Also a place where they sell crushed stone will have scales. Our local landfill (dump) has a scale.

I'm going to try the local scrap dealer I went to the CAT scale and don't believe what it came out as. I don't think that a scale that routinely weighs 164000 pound (Michigan max weight) trucks can accurately weigh a 23000 pound truck.
They also may add a little to your weight because they guarantee that they won't tell you that you are legal and then you get a ticket they will pay.

The CAT (or similar) truck scale is accurate at that range, nor do I think there is a fudge factor, or at least not one of any significance (a few hundred lbs?). I've weighed 22,000 lb gas motorhomes on them, for example.  However, it is a split scale, designed to give individual axle weights. You need to total all the axles, truck & trailer, for a combined gross to compare against GCWR. And it's up to you to get all the axles on the scale.

The CAT Scale web site has a useful set of instructions and diagrams on how to weigh any vehicle/combination.

CAT scales have the same tolerance as the scales we have at work, 20#, from almost 0# to the limit of the scale. I walk both of ours every morning as I have to pick up the report from the previous day and if either doesn't read my weight normally,  my next move is calling the service company to get them corrected. They weigh trucks in excess of 100,000#.

okk think i am completely confused now    went and got trailer and truck weighed at a cat scale    total weight 9180    front truck axle was 2590 back truck axle was 2870 and camper axle was 3720  for a total of 9180  trailer axle was 100 pounds less than trailer supposedly weighs  and truck was about 600 over what it supposedly weighs    i know tounge weight comes into play here but not sure how  if anyone can help me with this it would be much appreciated          trailer 3840  can take 585pounds    4400pounds    15 acadia  4835  can carry 1600 pounds    ownres manual saysGCWR IS 10450  family of 5 weighs between750 and 775  TRAILER WAS PRETTY MUCH EMPTY AND TRUCK HAD half a tank of gas  thanks

When I've weighed my trailers at a CAT scale, I did the following:
1. Pull onto scales with front axle on first scale, rear axle on 2nd scale, trailer axle(s) on third scale. Push call button, Let them know this is your 1st weigh.
2. Go inside to weigh master and pay for your weigh ticket and let them know you will do a re-weigh shortly.
3. Go park and unhook your trailer.
4. Return to scale with truck only and place front axle on first scale, rear axle on 2nd scale. Push call button and tell them it is a re-weigh. They will ask for a number off of your first weigh ticket.
5. Go back inside and get your re-weigh ticket. Usually $2.00 for each re-weigh within their specified time frame.

Total weight of first ticket minus the weight of the second ticket is the weight of your trailer as loaded with your stuff.
Pin or hitch weight will be the difference between the weights of the front and rear axles of your truck on your first weigh and second weigh. Example:
First weigh:
Truck front axle  2590
Truck rear axle.  2870
Total.                5460

Let's say your re-weigh on your truck is:
Front.  2560
Rear.  2600
Total.  5160

Hitch or pin weight is 5460-5160= 300

Hope this helps.
Reggie

Yes, they mean the same thing.  How the weight is distributed between the truck and trailer axles depends on whether on not you're using an equalizing hitch.

The equalizing arms form a bridge across the hitch, lifting the hitch ball and restoring the truck and trailer to a level posture instead of having them sag at the hitch.

The tighter you crank the equalizing bars, the more they will lift the hitch, removing weight from the truck's rear axle and re-distributing it to the trailer axles and to the truck's front axle.

In an extreme case, you could theoretically crank the equalizing bars enough to lift the truck's rear axle off of the ground.  This means all of the weight would be carried by the trailer axles and the truck's front axle.

Thanks Lou. I should have used the correct terms. Hitch weight in my explanation means weight applied to the tow vehicle by by the trailer tongue as on a travel trailer. Pin weight is the weight applied to the tow vehicle by the 5th wheel "king pin" to the 5th wheel  hitch coupling on on the tow vehicle.

ok  feel like i am starting to get it  will take truck back tomorrow and get it weighed and let you know where i am at  thanks again

ok  first weight yesterday  steer axle  2620
                                        drive axle  2940
                                        trailer axle  3720

2nd weigh in  acadia only  steer axle  2700
                                              drive axle  2180        total weight of firsy weigh inn  is 9280 minus second weigh in of4880  = trailer weight of 4400
1st weigh inn steer and drive axle were5560  2nd weighin was4880  Tounge weight of680 pounds???  only variable was my daughter was in car for first weighin  she is 100 pounds  can somebody check this and see if i have it right

Almost. Second weigh of vehicle was off due to weight of daughter not in vehicle, so let's add 100 lbs to second weigh. Vehicle weight adjusted to 4980.
First weigh total 9280
2nd weigh    -    4980
Trailer =.          4300

1st weigh tow vehicle axles    5560
2nd weigh tow vehicle axles  - 4980
Tongue weight =                      580 , which is 13% of trailer weight. (Good)

Thats good news  tounge weight seemed like alot  still does  is there anyway for me to reduce tounge weight further??

You don't want the tongue weight less than 10% of your total trailer weight. Too little weight on the tongue will cause trailer handling issues. You can move some of your trailer cargo to the rear of the trailer to lighten the tongue weight some, just be careful.
I assume you are using a weight distribution hitch, and if so, you can move some of the tongue weight to the front axle by adjusting the hitch.
Good luck.

yes have a wdh set up  verr little weight in front of camper will see if i can lighten up some more  my concern is gmc  says max tounge weight for acadia is 600 pounds so i am a littlw closer than i want to be

Try adjusting the WD to shift more weight forward on the Acadia. Tightening the spring bar chains another link should do it.

You may also find that the tongue weight actually decreases as you load the trailer more. This happens when weight is loaded behind the trailer axles, thus lifting the front end slightly (think of a teeter-totter). It is fairly common that adding some water to the onboard tank(s) shifts the balance rearward and lifts the tongue a bit. Depends on where the tanks are, of course.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom