Wiring a trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thegrillsergeant

I bet this one has been covered 100x. I'm doing a cargo trailer conversion. I'm assuming that with an A/C, microwave, hairdryer, tv ex. I will need to wire it for a 30amp 120v connection. I'm not an electrician and I'll have some professional help but can someone give me a dumbed down but detailed explanation on the wiring.
    For example what would I need to purchase and what connects to what as far as a breaker box, converter? Any advice or other ideas are welcome. Thanks!

There's a lot of things you can skimp on wiring is not one of those things . Call an electrician .

I have a good friend who is an electrician. He will help but I'm trying to gain some knowledge on the subject. This way I can know a little before bugging him too much. Safety is my biggest concern

Being that you are starting fresh on the wiring,  I would suggest going with a 50 amp service. You can always adapt down to 30 amp when necessary.

kdbgoat said:
Being that you are starting fresh on the wiring,  I would suggest going with a 50 amp service. You can always adapt down to 30 amp when necessary.

With 50 Amp service, you'll be able to run pretty much everything you have all at once whereas 30 Amp, you may be restricted a little.

As a retired electrician my advise is to hire an electrician. The National Electrical Code is way to complex to try and explain to someone on the Internet. An electrician is cheaper than a burned down trailer.

SeilerBird said:
As a retired electrician my advise is to hire an electrician. The National Electrical Code is way to complex to try and explain to someone on the Internet. An electrician is cheaper than a burned down trailer.

Along with possible loss of life.

No matter how completely somebody explains the process, they might forget to say something that seems obvious to them.

Many years ago, I installed a ceiling light fixture in a bedroom that had only been wired with switched outlets. After a neighbor saw it, her husband came and asked "Do you know how much money you just cost me? Now I have to hire an electrician.

I told him that he didn't really need an electrician. "It's easy. I'll tell you everything you need to know." I gave him detailed directions, even including simple drawings of how to hook up the wires. I explained how to cut the plaster board, and how to install a bar hanger and box. I gave him a list of everything he needed to buy.

I really thought I had told him everything. I was wrong. I had neglected to tell him that when walking in the attic, he should only step on the joists. He landed on his dining room table. When he told me that he now had to hire someone to fix his ceiling, I was going to tell him that it was easy and he could do it himself. However, I thought better of it. I went over and patched it for him.

Joel

Make sure your electrician does not connect neutral and ground together in the RV breaker panel.  They are bonded together at the main electrical panel and most electricians are in the habit of doing this if the job only has a single panel.

RVs are an exception and ground and neutral must be kept separate in them because the RV is a subpanel on the campground's distribution system when you're plugged into shore power.  Subpanels do not tie ground and neutral together.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom