misc questions!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolyn Worl

we just bought our 26ft 5th wheel and i can't wait to go shopping!!!!!

first---i was told i should buy plastic type dishes so 1. they're not as heavy and 2. they don't break.  i'm actually wanting to use a selection of misc. dishes my mom has packed away, but they are not plastic.  should i buy pastic type dishes?? if not, what's the best way to store them so they don't break.  i have a rear kitchen.

second---i was thinking of buying a tv/vcr/dvd all in one combo.  for normal home uses i wouldn't do this, nor would i get a dvd/vcr combo, but seeing as we're only using the 5er (that's the term for 5th wheels, right?) for weekend vacations, i don't see it getting much use on a regular basis and don't see the problem with getting on.  any thoughts here??

third---it stands to reason that if it's cold outside and we have our heater on (i'm thinking over night while we're sleeping) that condensation would/could form on the windows.  is this a problem?  other than squeegying them off, is there anything that should/could be done?  i was told lighting candles helps reduce the moisture in the air but 1. i have small kids and 2. i wouldn't leave them burning over night.  thoughts?

fourth---k, i really can't think of anymore questions at the moment.  SO, any tips for a new owner?  i've been reading through the threads and have learned a lot already. :)

thank you!  Carolyn

If you want TV-VCR-DVD I'd go with a Stand Alone televison and a "Dual Feature" VCR/DVD.

Or,  you can use a portable DVD (Say a 5 or 7 inch) and use the optional video/audio cables to feed the line in on the VCR to the television (This works rather well in practice, hard to describe however, You need 2 each 1/8 inch stereo to RCA adapter cables from any audio/video store including Radio Shack, one for audio, one for video, you also need a couple of pieces of yellow tape for the video cable (one on each end) you will leave one connector taped off and unused (the digital audio (S/Pdif) out on the video cable)  Unless... of course.... You got a Dolby surround sound system... Then you use that connector

Condensation is an issue with all windows in the winter, Stick house or rolling house, don't matter, do what you do at home if possible

I would not be overly concerned with the dishes.  If you find plastic that you like, then go with that, but some types of plastic tend to discolor.  If you decide to get conventional dishes, then you can use the anti skid rubber between each plate.  There is also a foam type product that acts as a cushion.

Consider adding some type of additional locking device to your cupboard that contains the dishes to prevent it from opening while in transit and spilling the dishes.

I cut a piece of plexi glass that fits inside the frame of the cupboard by sliding it into place before closing the cupboard door.

Carolyn,

Many people like to use Corelle dinnerware by Corning. They're relatively light weight, don't stain, are virtually indestructible, and can be used in the micro, unlike plastic.

The combo tv/vcr/dvd would not be my first or even second choice. Eventually you'll want satellite tv and surround sound, and typically those units don't have the required inputs for adding external units like TIVO which, for boondocking, is almost essential as local reception is iffey in many locations. Go with a seperate component system - cd/dvd unit (vcr only if you have a lot of tapes you  want to play), a decent tv with audio/video inputs/outputs, and (this can be added later) a surround system. They can be had quite inexpensively ($50-100) and makes viewing a much more rewarding experience.

If your 5er has dual pane windows, condensation is usually not a problem - unless you're boiling 50lbs of potatoes at a time and it's 20 below outside ;D Reduce moisture release by covering pot and pans while cooking, if possible. The propane furnaces supply dry heat to the interior, unlike an open flame like a stove burner which creates water vapor, so that's not a problem. Candles may be good for creating a mood, but not for removing excess moisture - same reason as above. 

Carolyn Worl said:
i'm actually wanting to use a selection of misc. dishes my mom has packed away, but they are not plastic.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
second---i was thinking of buying a tv/vcr/dvd all in one combo.

Go ahead and use them.  I cut small (about 4" x 4") squares of the anti-skid stuff to place between each plate.  With a rear kitchen, things will bounce and this helps keep plates from banging against each other.

I would go with the combo tv/vcr/dvd.  The separate components some people are recommending take up a lot of space and you are looking at weekend use.

Re condensation:  If you have a vent fan over your stove, use whenever you cook something that lets off vapor.  We vent out our trailer every day.  We have two fantastic fans, so we put one on "in" and one on out".  You can do it with one fan if you open some windows. 

Enjoy your "5er" (also known as 5W).  Either term is correct.

Jeannin

thank you all for your replys! :D  much appreciated and most helpful!!!

re: boiling 50lbs of potatoes in 20 degree weather...please say you didn't really do it!!!!  :)

i think i will go with using the dishes and cutting the pieces of non skid rubber!  GREAT idea! and i saw on the camping world website that there are bars you can put on cupboards and even fridges.  anyone have these?  do they work?

i'll have to look again to see if ours has dual pane windows....i have no clue.  but will definately keep all your answers in mind as i'm cooking, etc.

thanks SO much!!  i know i'll more questions as we get settled in our new toy!

Carolyn,

You will probably enjoy using dishes like Corel much more than melamine or plastic.

As for the bars that expand you saw at CW, we use them for drying towels in our shower compartment in the skylight section where they can be friction fitted.

I would not trust them for holding your dishes in a cupboard, however.  Would suggest something more secure, like an additional latch with a positive locking device or the plexiglass idea I suggested or a piece of thin plywood inserted in the inner part of the cupboard frame while in transit.

yes, i'm thinking the plexi glass idea may just be it.

and NO, i don't have to wash paper plates. :)  i'm sure for a while, that's just what we'll be using!

OH OK...more questions!

those paper plate and napkin dispensers that go under the cabinets...they look a bit cheesy to me, but to save space i'd consider them.  does anyone here use those?  have used them?  heard anything positive or negative about them??

also...as you enter to the right there are two cupboards one on top of the other.  but they are only about 4, maybe 5 inches deep.  what do YOU put there?  have you learned of things NOT to put there?  any storage containers (or similar things) that work/don't work well there?  obviously being as they run from floor to ceiling it's best to use this space, but i just can't see what i'd put there or what kind of storage containers i could use to make the most of the space.

always, thanks!

I made my own napkin holder out of scrap corian.  Can't send a photo right now, because I'm away from the coach.  Cut two pieces of corian into rectangles 8" X 3 1/2 ".

Next, get some 1/2" wooden dowel or even better if you can get some lucite dowels.  In one piece of corian, drill a 1/2 " hole at both ends all the way through.  In the second piece of corian, drill  1/2" holes part way through.  Finish the corian edges by wet sanding, then glue the dowels into the corian with holes part way through.  The top piece of corian slips on top of the first through matching holes and that's your napkin holder.

You could use wood instead of corian or any other reasonably heavy and decorative material.

Shallow cabinets can hold cassettes, or video tapes or medications.

Carolyn Worl said:
also...as you enter to the right there are two cupboards one on top of the other.  but they are only about 4, maybe 5 inches deep.  what do YOU put there?  have you learned of things NOT to put there?
-----------------------------------------------------------------
i saw on the camping world website that there are bars you can put on cupboards and even fridges.  anyone have these?  do they work?

I have two cupboards about 4" deep.  I use them for water & wine glasses, canned goods, etc.  The cabinets face the rear of the rig, and things can fall out when I open the cupboards after a day of travel.  I've cut some pieces of foamboard about 2-3" high that are the width of the cupboard.  Easier to make than the plexiglass strips Steve mentioned, but not as nice looking.

I use expanding rods in the refrigerator to keep things in place.  At first, I took them out whenever we arrived somewhere, now I just keep them in place.

Jeannine

Carolyn,

50 lbs of potato(e)s ? Of course not. But 30 lbs of brats and an equal amount of burgers - now that's a totally different story, and that's what we do every year at Quartzsite, AZ. Cooked in beer and onions (just the brats; burgers get their own special treatment), along with lots of other goodies supplied by some of the worlds best cooks and combined with much talk and good fellowship - well, that's what it's all about!!! Just bring your wit, wisdom, and appetite ;D  A few tall tales wouldn't hurt either - we all have them (some more than others) :D :D

You know what they say. Once burned. I had a set of dishes break in my 5'er, and 10 year later the new owner is still getting slivers. Anything under 30' gets a rougher ride. Grip between plates and bowls is a must. Line you shelves with grip also. Turn glasses upside down.  Anything that is too tall, or stacked too high, will go flying. You can buy tension rods at wal Mart or K Mart. A small velcro strip thru handles keep cabinet door closed and easy to get into if necessary. A flashlight, rain gear, and a key holder goes nicely in cabinets near the entry door. Cut a empty paper towel tube, and use it to secure the glass plate in your micro.  Elastic bands that go around garbage cans, work great on under the cabinet coffe pots.

Barb
Co-Pilot
Sometimes 5'er driver

<first---i was told i should buy plastic type dishes so 1. they're not as heavy and 2. they don't break.  i'm actually wanting to use a selection of misc. dishes my mom has packed away, but they are not plastic.  should i buy pastic type dishes?? if not, what's the best way to store them so they don't break.  i have a rear kitchen.>

If you have any storage space in the midships over the axle that is where I would try to locate the dishes. Rear kitchen designs are nice but stuff kinda gets tossed around. Use rear storage for pots and non breakable stuff.

Nelson

thanks for all the tips and ideas!!  i started putting stuff in my new toy this weekend!  i'm so excited to get things for it and get things in it! :)  your suggestions definately helped! :)

Carolyn,

Glad to hear some of the ideas were of help.  Hope you will make the RV Forum part of your regular online activites.

<first---i was told i should buy plastic type dishes so 1. they're not as heavy and 2. they don't break.  i'm actually wanting to use a selection of misc. dishes my mom has packed away, but they are not plastic.  should i buy pastic type dishes?? if not, what's the best way to store them so they don't break.  i have a rear kitchen.>

We have been using Corning's Corelle dishes for some 10 years the trailer and about 20 in the house.  They are almost indestructable, microwave proof, knife proof,  and even look ok.  Buy them at outlet stores and they are even cheap. 

Carl

the only problem with Corelle is when it breaks it explodes with small chards all over. It is not often but it has happened to us a couple of times.

Nelson

Back
Top Bottom