Winegard SK-SWM3 antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
We've been trying to leave Dodge for several weeks, but have been delayed by issues with several contractors. After finally getting them sorted out (or fired), I've procrastinated on replacing our King Dome auto antenna; It's been progressively unreliable, and will no longer find satellites with our latest DTV receivers. We watch relatively little TV while in the coach, and the cost of a new antenna was certainly a factor in my procrastination.

After reviewing alternatives, including Dish, and talking with folks on the phone, I finally pulled the trigger on a Winegard SK-SWM3 Slimline Auto Multi-Satellite Antenna (for DTV).

It means an additional day or two delay in our departure but, due to signature requirements, it's easier than trying to get it delivered to our destination. Hope to post positive results.

I hope you are looking at the DirecTV Genie whole home setup to distribute video throughout your house. Setup has one multichannel receiver and uses wired or wireless clients for other TV locations.
Good luck and enjoy!

We have the Genie at our S&B house. Hadn't planned on using it in the coach; Was going to use two separate receivers for the two TVs.

Tom said:
We have the Genie at our S&B house. Hadn't planned on using it in the coach; Was going to use two separate receivers for the two TVs.
If you have them, that'll work☺. Don't need to reinvent the wheel especially if you already have cables ran and equipment in hand.

Good luck Tom. We have had our Winegard for over three years without issues except those caused by us.

Tom said:

We have an HR44 Genie in the MH with a C41 in the bedroom.  It's nice to be able to pause a recording we've been watching and then finish it in the bedroom.  Not a big deal, but nice to have.  What is really nice is that the Genie runs far, far cooler than the HR22 it replaced and its speed of response to commands is much faster.

I might throw the Genie in the coach before we leave.

We have HDTV!

The RV repair/handyman at the park is booked solid for several weeks, so we figured we'd install the SWM3 ourselves. I removed the old (no longer used) Direcway/HughesNet antenna, and the obsolete King Dome. Getting the new puppy on the roof was a bit of a challenge, but we finally got it up there safely, secured it and applied the requisite sealant.

Ran temporary cables to the coach, hooked up the Genie, and we're watching movies in HD via 3 satellites. I'll get the bedroom TV & receiver hooked up tomorrow.

A note to self, the SWM3 needs to find the satellites before the receiver recognizes the antenna.

The only issue I've had with the Genie is that 90% of the time when setting up at a new location we have to do a reset. Either it comes up with no satellite access or it is missing the HD channels. In theory it should work if the dish finds the satellites before the genie is powered up, but that has not been the case.

btw, we are still using our 7 year old Winegard SK 3005 using a SWM switch to convert for the Genie. One satellite guy told me that the reset problem would go away if I bought a new SWM 3 Dish. Until the old dish dies I'll save my money and just use the reset as needed!

ken

Aye Ken, I think I'd also put up with the minor inconvenience of resetting the receiver rather than replacing the antenna.

Ken & Sheila said:
The only issue I've had with the Genie is that 90% of the time when setting up at a new location we have to do a reset. Either it comes up with no satellite access or it is missing the HD channels. In theory it should work if the dish finds the satellites before the genie is powered up, but that has not been the case.

btw, we are still using our 7 year old Winegard SK 3005 using a SWM switch to convert for the Genie. One satellite guy told me that the reset problem would go away if I bought a new SWM 3 Dish. Until the old dish dies I'll save my money and just use the reset as needed!

ken

We have exactly the same setup and experience the same need to reboot the Genie whenever we move.  But, since the reboot time is short compared to older DirecTV DVRs, who cares? I just do the reset/reboot as part of my setup these days without even bothering to see if I have reception.

Joel

Ken & Sheila said:
I must be doing mine wrong. I just go away and leave it alone and it will come up. Once in a blue moon I am in a hurry and I may reboot mine to get it back on track.

Ken & Sheila said:
btw, we are still using our 7 year old Winegard SK 3005 using a SWM switch to convert for the Genie.
Me too, same setup.
Bob

Looks like I can use existing coach wiring to run the bedroom TV on its own receiver; Works just fine. Tomorrow I need to drill the roof for the SWM3 cables, and remove the cables from the two old (removed) antennae.

The RV repair/handyman at the park is booked solid for several weeks, so we figured we'd install the SWM3 ourselves. I removed the old (no longer used) Direcway/HughesNet antenna, and the obsolete King Dome. Getting the new puppy on the roof was a bit of a challenge, but we finally got it up there safely, secured it and applied the requisite sealant.

And you created quite a stir among your neighbors in the RV park with the method of getting that satellite antenna up on your roof 8)......

LOL Marsha. Chris came up with the idea of stacking tables to act as "stairs", and we were able to progressively move the antenna higher in steps. We wrapped the antenna in a blanket, primarily to avoid scratching the coach. For the last leg, I was on the roof pulling on a rope, while Chris was on a ladder pushing up on the antenna. But hey, it worked.

I think we caused even more of a stir when Chris was on the roof attaching the dish and with the sealant gun in her hand. One neighbor was heard telling another "she's on the roof of their coach, and I'm afraid my husband is going to want me to go on our roof"  ;D

Being on a roof dealing with an antenna is not a new experience for Chris (see picture).

Attachments

• CJ_dish.jpg
    CJ_dish.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 23

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom