SRW vs DRW Truck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clockdrfla

School me on the differences in towing with each truck.  Purchased a 5th wheel that dry weight is 10580, payload capacity, 2115, and hitch weight is  2225.  Due to the great advice and responses on this site, I have decided to go with a one ton even though I have been told a 3/4 ton would handle it.  Wife doesn't like the dually so thinking about a one ton SRW.  Truck I am considering is a 2011 Ram 3500 SRW crew cab, 4x2 diesel with the l6 engine.  Dually will probably offer more stability than the SRW.  What other factors should I consider?  How about resale value later on?  Thanks again.  Forgot to mention the payload capacity of truck is 3310.

For starters, the pin weight is about 20% of GVWR or 2, 540 lb and to that you would add hitch wright, passenger weight, and cargo. Assuming the payload you cite is from the yellow tag on the door post (not a general number that usually represents payload for a base truck with no accessories), you still have a couple of hundred lbs for cargo, but you are close. 

As to the dually question, think about controlling 12, 695 lbs if you should have a rear tire blow out.

Ernie

Based on the numbers you reported, you should be fine with a SRW in the 1-ton you have decided on.  The DRW increased capacity is small, not a huge advantage if the SRW is your preferred choice.  Where the DRW advantage really shines is in payload capacity, which would come into play with a larger/heavier 5th wheel with a high pin weight.

The stability is much better with the DRW as wheel as increased pay load and the safety factor in the case of a rear tire failed.

I think you will be okay with a SRW.  Generally speaking, the bottleneck is pin weight and it looks to me as if you'll be good there. 

Basically, you are trading ease of parking, etc. for more stability when towing.

People with DRW's say they learn to accommodate the wider rear in when parking and people with SRW's say they don't feel especially "unstable" when pulling.  I think both are right.

I tow a 34' 5ver with a SRW F350 and am quite satisfied with it.  While I understand the "more stability" argument, I also know that "more stable" doesn't mean a SRW is "unstable."  If more wheels is always better I guess everyone would be towing with Frieghtliners. 

GR 'Scott' Cundiff said:
...If more wheels is always better I guess everyone would be towing with Frieghtliners.

I believe there are people on this, and other RV sites, that would have you believe that pulling anything larger than an 8' popup, with anything smaller than a Peterbuilt 579 is just "Asking for trouble".

I have a 3500 SRW RAM, 2015.  Mine has a higher payload.  However, I think you should be just fine.

Beware the Keyboard Warriors that start their post:  I think, You should, It shouldn't, I don't think it should.

When I switched over to a DRW, it made a world on difference in towing stability while pulling my 5'er. Every DRW driver I have talked to has said they would not go back to a SRW pickup to tow with. Take my word for it after about ten miles towing your trailer down the freeway, you'll  have a big smile on your face.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I spent most of my money on Women, Whisky, And Beer and the rest I just wasted.

sadixon49 said:
I believe there are people on this, and other RV sites, that would have you believe that pulling anything larger than an 8' popup, with anything smaller than a Peterbuilt 579 is just "Asking for trouble".

Ha - yeah, I've seen the same thing.  Because of that I generally avoid posting to threads on the topic.  In this case, the OP described almost exactly the set up I've towed over 10,000 miles the past three years so I thought I'd "weigh" in. 

I sweat blood over the issue when I bought my truck - even though all the math looked good.  I didn't know for certain that I had made a good decision until we were already in it fulltime and I stopped at some scales and had it all weighed.  That stop revealed that I had, indeed, misjudged my pin weight a bit but was still under the maximum according to the pickup specs. 

However, as I was considering the truck it drove me crazy for people to say "You won't know for sure until you've weighed it all."  After all, I don't think the dealer would have wanted me to put hitch in the bed of the truck, loaded it up with all my stuff, hooked up to the 5th wheel, and taken it down to weigh it all!"  So, up till then, the best I could do was make some estimates and "think" I had enough truck.

When I switched over to a DRW, it made a world on difference in towing stability while pulling my 5'er. Every DRW driver I have talked to has said they would not go back to a SRW pickup to tow with.

I've heard them say that. The question is, "how many of them came from an adequately sized SRW tow vehicle"? When the details are known, it is often the case that they previous rig they are comparing to was just plain inadequate to begin with.  If the truck is sufficient for the task, it makes little difference how many rear tires it has.

This DRW or SRW debate is one that maybe never can be won just as chevy vrs ford vrs dodge wars are never won. But to look at this differently think about our motorhomes, think you could feel as stable with SRW's, you know you could get a SRW to handle the weight!

Finding an available "good" used truck that can be afforded is often more difficult than is expected.  If you have already found one that meets your needs then that one is the one to buy.  BUT, if you have a choice between SRW or DRW, a decision factor that is additional to those mentioned above is:

How sure are you that you will not decide in a year or two that you want to pull something that is heavier?  Many of us us here have had more than one size or type of TT and/or 5th over the years.  We are on our third now and if we go full time, we will likely consider larger and heavier.  Others we know have decided to go the "toy hauler" route and/or have decided to get a larger BR or whatever.

I am VERY happy with my DRW for all the above stated reasons.  I am somewhat unhappy with my DRW, compared to SRW, over the difficulty in tire maintenance and the additional tire replacement costs. 

Back
Top Bottom