CB Antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gone soaring

We have a 2005 Itaska Suncruiser which is missing the CB antenna. The part number is 123256-01-000. I am not able to find a replacement.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

I would NOT replace it.. Just seal it off if needed.. The factory CB antenna on most RV's is...... Not good

Assuming a non-metal skin on the RV. a FIRESTICK NGP (no ground plane) model (Most any decent truck stop) is the antenna of choice.. it's not what I use but what I use is roughly identical.

I used a common MIRROR mount, this mount is designed to clamp over the horzontial arm of a "West Coast" type mirror.. I used only the half the antenna mounts on, 4 lag screws into the "A" pillar (Where the windshield meets the body) and positioned so my NGP antenna is also a "Height Stick" for the RV.  Or you can put it up to 13'6" high if you like (my RV is 12'6" unloaded)

Now where I am stuck, I hear a lot of "Traffic" from the truck stop about 3 miles down the road and truckers on the freeway so it's well beyond "If you can see them" which is really about all I ask of CB antennas.

(You don't want to knwo how far the other radios reach).

John From Detroit said:
I would NOT replace it.. Just seal it off if needed.. The factory CB antenna on most RV's is...... Not good

Assuming a non-metal skin on the RV. a FIRESTICK NGP (no ground plane) model (Most any decent truck stop) is the antenna of choice.. it's not what I use but what I use is roughly identical.

I used a common MIRROR mount, this mount is designed to clamp over the horzontial arm of a "West Coast" type mirror.. I used only the half the antenna mounts on, 4 lag screws into the "A" pillar (Where the windshield meets the body) and positioned so my NGP antenna is also a "Height Stick" for the RV.  Or you can put it up to 13'6" high if you like (my RV is 12'6" unloaded)

Now where I am stuck, I hear a lot of "Traffic" from the truck stop about 3 miles down the road and truckers on the freeway so it's well beyond "If you can see them" which is really about all I ask of CB antennas.

(You don't want to knwo how far the other radios reach).

How about a picture?

Thank you John.  I used to be from Detroit as well, St. Louis now.

Pix would be helpful.

Rick

If there is a connector of some sort that joins the cable to the old antenna, you should be able to use most any brand or style of replacement, perhaps using an adapter to match up the connection. Plenty ofthem available.  If the antenna wire was just broken or cut off, than it's a bit more difficult (have to attach a new connector). Still perhaps easier than running a new antenna wire to your CB.

The alternative is to mount a new antenna, e.g. John's suggestion, elsewhere and run the wire to your existing CB. That may be hard or easy, depending on where the CB is located and where you put the antenna.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/collections/cb-antennas

I have a 36" Firestick. Works very well. Range is about 3~4 miles.. all I need. SWR's are about 2. something.

With the advent of Cell Phones and all their features.. CB's are not as popular as they used to be (?).

I've had one in every Tow Vehicle we've owned, and still do. I find it very handy for local road conditions and hazards, Mine has a Weather Alert feature which has come in very handy, many times.

A CB is also nice when traveling with another RV'r who has one.

The Down Side is.. the language can get "spicy".. I just turn the volume down, or change channels for a few. (sadly, spicy language is purdy common theze Dayz  :()

Werks fer me. (still)

http://www.wearecb.com/cb-antenna/
If that link works it is to cb world. Bought my firestick from them they have lots of info that may be quite helpfull

Is CB radio the preferred?  Well I do not know that there is a preferred.. But with CB.. often if there is a traffic backup you will hear about it in time to "Take evasive action"
Some history
Back long time ago Coming home from family Christmas.  Black ice, freezing rain. The CB (Chan 19) warned me of an overturned truck. Too late to avoid I started slowing down.. Just in time to provide shelter for two families who had their cars totalled in a 4 car accident (The other two famalies limped to the next exit)  I'd have had a crash of my own except for the warning

A few years ago headed south I heard of not one but TWO fatal accidents in the road ahead. Took an exit and overnighted. NO blood pressure rising issues.

Last fall I detoured around an over turned truck
And almost did it again returning north this spring.

Now my primary mode is now D-Star (ham radio) and I'm finding a lot of truckers to chat with but where as CB tells me what's going on say 5 or 10 miles down the road. D-Star.. Well i'm in MI and the driver I was talking to today was on his way to Atlanta Ga to pick up a load for Jacksonville FL (and he's in GA as I'm talking to him...  Distance. is not a factor. all signals are like the chat I had on Sunday were I was talking to another ham seated...  On the other end of the picnic table I was seated at (There is more to the story we were using non-compatible radios via a translator system and we were proving it works).

Seriously consider a Technician class Ham LIcense..  a D-Star. YSF or DMR radio and a hotspot.. Tons of fun.

HappyWanderer said:
Was it ever?
To honestly answer Happy's question, Yes, It was at one time.  Then in the late 70's, the band got so crowed and abused that it became nearly worthless.  Truckers still use it because it is available and inexpensive.  But it is still often too crowded and abused to be of any real value.

We had one recently, but when DW was driving, she refused to even turn it on.  The cable got damaged and I removed it and the antenna.

Matt

Matt_C said:
To honestly answer Happy's question, Yes, It was at one time.  Then in the late 70's, the band got so crowed and abused that it became nearly worthless.  Truckers still use it because it is available and inexpensive.  But it is still often too crowded and abused to be of any real value.

We had one recently, but when DW was driving, she refused to even turn it on.  The cable got damaged and I removed it and the antenna.

Matt

I've found just the opposite.  Last winter, I hooked up a CB in the motor home, and I've had one in the Jeep for a while.  Drove the coach over 3000 miles during the month of March and hardly heard anyone talking on the CB except around truck stops and traffic problems.  I know the units work as I had a conversation with my wife in the Jeep and we were at opposite ends of Quartzsite at the time.

As I said. I keep mine on on the highway because of the "Around traffic Problems" part.

Now if I"m on county roads (2-lanes) like between Seneca and Fair Play SC.. keep 'em off but if I hit 85 or 75 or 69. it's on. (Interstates)

John From Detroit said:
As I said. I keep mine on on the highway because of the "Around traffic Problems" part.

Now if I"m on county roads (2-lanes) like between Seneca and Fair Play SC.. keep 'em off but if I hit 85 or 75 or 69. it's on. (Interstates)

X2. Its... A Handy Option.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom