Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: 2014 Tour Power Issue  (Read 1040 times)

holstin

• ---
2014 Tour Power Issue
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:28:48 PM »
I have a off the wall issue happening with my power inside my Motorhome. It started about 3 weeks ago and what is happening is about 11 or 12 everyday my inverter/charger would display on the inside panel "battery voltage high" and then various items in the rig lose power. After 5 minutes the alarm would clear and things would power back up. At first it appeared every time the rig would first see sunlight for the day since i am in the mountains. I decided to totally disconnect my solar panel and this seems to stop the issue from happening for about 3 weeks. however, just yesterday it happened again but didn't happen today. I am starting to think i either have a bad house battery or something going wrong with my charger. Does anyone have any advice as to how to isolate the two and how to properly test the house batteries in case its a bad cell. I did a physical look at them and they all seem fine and no bulging or corrosion. I am work kamping in the mountains and there are no RV places anywhere near me to take the rig to.

Raylc

• ---
Re: 2014 Tour Power Issue
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 09:25:00 PM »
I have a off the wall issue happening with my power inside my Motorhome. It started about 3 weeks ago and what is happening is about 11 or 12 everyday my inverter/charger would display on the inside panel "battery voltage high" and then various items in the rig lose power. After 5 minutes the alarm would clear and things would power back up. At first it appeared every time the rig would first see sunlight for the day since i am in the mountains. I decided to totally disconnect my solar panel and this seems to stop the issue from happening for about 3 weeks. however, just yesterday it happened again but didn't happen today. I am starting to think i either have a bad house battery or something going wrong with my charger. Does anyone have any advice as to how to isolate the two and how to properly test the house batteries in case its a bad cell. I did a physical look at them and they all seem fine and no bulging or corrosion. I am work kamping in the mountains and there are no RV places anywhere near me to take the rig to.

I have a 2012 Tour it has a system that takes the charging into float status when the battries get totally charged. I think but not sure but you can do this manually on the control panel for the inverter. What are you charging the batteries with? I leave mine plug in at home when not in use.
Ray and Sheila
Huntsville, TX.
2012 Winnebago Tour 42QD

holstin

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 09:41:51 PM »
i am always plugged in at a campground. I am a fulltimer living it it all the time. Its being charged by the shore power. its in float all the time so that is why I assumed it might be the Solar panel as that would be the only thing beside the inverter/charger doing anything.

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 01:32:16 AM »
I doubt that your 100 watt panel could be causing the problem. You've probably got six 105 AH AGM house-batteries, and that 100 watt panel wouldn't be able to overcharge them on its own - especially with a res-fridge.

The first thing thing that came to my mind was you might have unstable shore-power. On our Tour's Magnum control panel, I can toggle through the settings and see how much voltage is coming in on each leg of the 50 amp service. Have you checked that? Are you hooked up to 50 amp service or dog-boned down to 30 amp? The Magnum has some internal protections that might be kicking in if it's detecting abnormally high voltage. Do you have an aftermarket surge protector of any kind?

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

holstin

• ---
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 06:49:53 AM »
i thought that also about the Solar panel but it just seemed funny it would happen when the sun first hit my rig in the morning. i installed an external protector after it started to see if it helped and it didn't. My shore power seems fine as I monitor it constantly. I am thinking i either have a bad cell or my charger is going bad. The system does disconnect everything when the voltage shows its climbing and then it trips back after 5 minutes when the voltage drops back down. i am on 50 Amp's and Shore power seems to be fine. Its only happened that one time a couple days ago since i had disconnected my solar about 3 weeks ago.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
I don't see how a bad battery would cause a too high voltage condition. It will trigger the inverter/charger to run constantly, but the voltage is still regulated to safe levels.

Have you checked the incoming 120vac voltage when this happens? Excessive input voltage might well cause the charger to produce excessive DC voltage. I know you said you monitor it, but what about at this exact moment?

The solar does produce rather high DC voltage, but presumably it has a regulator, plus the battery bank should dampen any voltage spike from the panel.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 11:37:21 AM »
Interesting scenario, the voltage produced by the solar panel must tie in somehow to the issue.  Have you kept a log of your battery voltage or are you just using the charger display of over voltage as an indicator?  Did Winnie provide a separate house/chassis bank voltmeter in your unit?  You need to double check what the Magnum display is reporting.
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

holstin

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 03:03:23 PM »
my power display shows my batteries run about 13.6 on the house and on the chassis around 12.5 most of the time. Its my magnum that shuts down with the high voltage alarm. Its funny though as i still will have power throughout the rig except for what runs off the inverter like my TV's. Microwave, and Fridge. Most of the time I am not around when this is happening as it only lasts about 5 minutes. I have been home twice but the other times I just know its happened because the clock on my microwave needs resetting again.   

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 06:32:12 AM »
I think I would run that by Magnum, maybe it's a problem with that unit itself.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:01 AM »
My guess is that you are continuing to run via battery 12v when the Magnum shuts down. Eventually that would run out as well.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
^^ Ditto ^^
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

holstin

• ---
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 11:04:09 AM »
the book states it will run on batteries until the power on the them get back to normal and then everything turns back on. That is why i only lose it for 5 minutes or so during the alarm.

Hosted by Over The Network