$600 carburator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
rvpuller said:
One more thing to look at, with the bowl off look at the bottom of the stem and see if the plug has come out. It plugs off the machining hole that is made when they made the passage for the fuel from the jet to the intake. If it's not there it will pull fuel out of the bottom of the bowl and you will get fuel coming out of the intake like you have now. If it's missing take a piece of rubber fuel line and trim it down until it fits into the hole tight.

Denny

ModEdit: Fixed quote tag -LS

I decided to do a permanent fix on my carburetor, you can see the hole I'm talking about. I used a piece of 1/8 solder that fit pretty tight and just melted the end to make sure it stays in there. Originally it had a piece of rubber that I think the ethanol got to.

Denny

Attachments

• 2016-06-15-12-29-56-240x427.png
    2016-06-15-12-29-56-240x427.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 2016-06-15-12-30-36-240x427.png
    2016-06-15-12-30-36-240x427.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 57
Runs better than new with the propane conversion kit installed. A little tricky to try and adjust the load block on the regulator and control the A/C from under the coach, but with the help of my boss, got it done. Had to extend the 1/2" gas line from the fridge to the generator but it was a straight shot. While under there I found the gen mounting bracket sticking out into the exhaust pipe hole in the case. Most likely the source of the banging I would hear on occasions when starting. Other Trend owners have reported the same noise.

Fuel pump is inhibited, disconnected the 12 volts, and the gas fuel line now has a valve to shut it off.

Two other Trend owners have reported the same issue with there 2800s, one bought the $600 carb, the other pulled his off and has good luck with cleaning it, worked fine when reinstalled. All have been following the manual as I have. Since the Trend is part cabin part touring van we all are getting 12 months a year usage except a couple in PA.

We'll see over time if the LP works out better than gas. Onan needs to work on a better carb. If Honda gets in the RV market...

Mike

Mfreyder said:
If Honda gets in the RV market...

Mike
Honda used to make RV generators, EV4010 and EV6010. Both were two cylinder liquid cooled. I'm sure that they would have the same carburetor problems as Onan without routine exercise. Their portable generators suffer from plugged up carburetors as well. I have a Yamaha 1000 watt generator that wouldn't run without partial choke. I ran some SeaFoam through it to fix it up. Since then I only use non-ethanol gas in it.

Most likely was the ethanol gas that left corrosion in my bowl, metal used in the bowl not compatible with alcohol. Since the gen pulls gas from the MH tank, I can't run it on non ethanol fuel. The main point of this thread is to point out the ridiculous cost of the replacement carb. Looking around, a carb for a 196cc engine runs less than $10 on amazon. $600 is a rip off. Three Trend owners have run onto this same issue. If Onan had a decent replacement parts policy we would not be having this conversation.

Right now it is doing well on LP. If I come across a carb at a decent price I may address it again from a standpoint of having dual fuel, but for now I'm sticking to LP.

Reply from another Trend owner, about a dozen of us so far with Onan gen carb problems.

Hi Mike,
Our Viva is at the dealer now mainly due to the generator starter failure leading to the carburetor over priming and now so claimed gunked up because of that. The carburetors are currently on national back-order. I love it, national back-order, does that give anyone a clue that there is a major issue with the carburetors!

Mine is still running great on LP and I have not added any LP to the 13 gal tank since I made the conversion. US Carburation makes a great kit.

Back
Top Bottom