Electrical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TOT

Hello, I have a 08 sunnybrook 32 foot tow camper. The problem I'm having is when I plug up the camper at home it keeps tripping the main breaker in the camper. Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

Stop!
What are you plugging into at home? You need to verify that your house outlet is 120 VAC. You may be plugging into a dryer connector providing 240VAC. It can do serious damage to your camper!

OK, so what items in the camper are turned on? A single household outlet doesn't provide much power, 15  amps at the most. Less if there is some other outlet sharing the branch circuit.

Seems to me the OP said it is tripping the breaker "in the camper", not the breaker in the supply from the house.

Are you saying the fridge is running off 110 volt AC and not just propane?  And what about the water heater. Is that also 110 Volt AC?  and the convertor may  also be running.

I would still check power at the outlet...there should be no way for the camper main breaker (I assume 30 amp) to trip before a residential 120VAC/15 amp breaker. This assumes the house breaker is working properly.
Running the AC and not much else can trip a 15 amp house breaker.
Does it immediately trip or only after operating a while?

Sorry - I missed the main breaker part of the original. But something is fishy here, since there is no way the house 15A outlet can supply enough power for an a/c and the fridge, and remember the converter/charger is drawing a bit as well. And the 30A main breaker in the camper is tripping?

I have seen breakers fail to trip in my day. The 15 amp breaker feeding the trailer from the house may not be tripping when it should, causing the main in the trailer to trip.

TOT said:
So should  I try and get a 240 outlet for the camper and see if the problem persist?

NO, NO, NO!!! If you have a 30 amp RV, it is 120 volt, not 240 volt. If you plug into a 240 volt outlet for a clothes dryer or welder, it will burn up a lot of equipment in your RV. The outlet must be no larger than 30 amp, 120 volt, specifically for an RV. If you use an adapter to use a standard 110 volt outlet, you will not have enough power to run your a/c unit. The best bet for you is call an electrician that is familiar with RV's and have them check it out.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Sorry - I missed the main breaker part of the original. But something is fishy here, since there is no way the house 15A outlet can supply enough power for an a/c and the fridge, and remember the converter/charger is drawing a bit as well. And the 30A main breaker in the camper is tripping?

Though today MOST house outlets, and wiring and breakers are 15 amp (Cost savings) when I install outlets I often use 12ga wire (rated for 20 amp) 15/20 amp outelets (T-shaped neutral) and 20 amp breakers.

WHY.. Well... I might want to power my RV

At the house I used to have I had a 20 amp breaker and 12ga feeding a 30 amp outlet.. Worked great.

Converter: (Batteries full)
Fridge

A/C or Microwave OR water heater (only one from that list)

And it worked.

Back
Top Bottom