# of bolts holding King pin box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Glh1

I have a 2004 32' Mobile Suites GVW 14,000 lbs.  I have swapped the original King pin box with a Flexaire.  Currently the front of the 5th wheel is 4.5" higher than the rear from the ground.  It appears that I can raise the King pin box two inches higher than it currently is which would bring the front and rear closer to even.  However if I do that there will be only 5 5/8" bolts securing the King pin box instead of the 6 that the original King pin box had.  Are 5 bolts adequate?

The most important thing before you go too far with this is how much clearance are you going to have between the bottom of the RV and the top of the truck bed rails. At a minimum, it has to be at least 5" but 6" is preferred.
I'm not a engineer but if it's designed to have 6 bolts, than that's what it should have IMHO.  I'm sure they've designed it with a safety facture but I would want to take the chance.

Mine only has 4 in it. I don't know what came factory though but you won't get 6 bolts in withou drilling.

Glh1 said:
Merc123,  what is the GVW of your 5th wheel?

Trailer weight is 6700. GVW off the top of my head is 10 or 12k I think. Didn't realize yours was 14.

Just talked to the manufacturer, a grade 8 5/8"  boltvconfiguration with five bolts per side should be good to about 21,000 lb GVW.  He indicated I was in good shape.

I'd stick with the six bolts. Most 5th wheel hitches are adjustable up and down. Maybe raise the pin as much as you can utilizing all bolts, and then lowering the hitch in the truck, maintaining the 5 1/2" to 6" clearance between trailer and truck bed. If more is needed, quite a few trailers have adjustable spring hangers that would allow a couple inches of rise to the trailer. If you don't have them trailer shops can install them fairly reasonably.

Hope this helps.

Glh1 said:
Just talked to the manufacturer, a grade 8 5/8"  boltvconfiguration with five bolts per side should be good to about 21,000 lb GVW.  He indicated I was in good shape.

Five bolts per side? 

Yes, there would be five bolts on the left side and five bolts on the right side for a total of ten bolts holding the King pin box to the frame.

Glh1 said:
However if I do that there will be only 5 5/8" bolts securing the King pin box instead of the 6 that the original King pin box had.  Are 5 bolts adequate?

You're originals post is confusing then.  It sounded like you were only going to have 5 bolts holding the entire pin box.

Back
Top Bottom