But.... I really liked the TT... Sorry TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rockingnm

So I've done my research and pretty much think I know my options. I picked up a TT recently, my first, Keystone Bullet 272bhs. 5180 dry, 6070 loaded (calculated wet, food, gear, not weighed), with an extra 1400 in the TV (water, wood, fuel, and we), 7500 totes (again calculated/estimated). My TV is an 07 F150, 5.4, 4x4, 4dr lariat with the factory tow option and 3.73 rear. Hitched by a Husky centerline WD/sway. By the books, this rigs good for about 8600 (20in rims). I intended to stay under 65% of my TVs tow rating, but the wifey really liked this one so what was I supposed to do!

First run a few weeks back and the truck worked ok, in the mountains it grunted up the switchbacks with plenty of gusto, on the flats it was very confident, wind was hitting us broadside with gusts to mid 30s and I didn't notice so I think my setups working pretty well. But on the open road and specifically long grades at speed (60-70) it had a few "doggish" moments where it dipped into the 40s, largely because I was being conservative and didn't let the engine RPMs exceed 4000. OD was off for all towing and the temp never budged over nominal, trans temps not currently monitored...

I'm at a crossroads... Do I put a few G in the TV, or just go a little bigger.... The 6.2 is callin my name!

As soon as those timing chain tensioners and cam phasers start making your truck sound like a diesel or half the plugs brake off in the head when you're doing a tune up and you'll wish you had the 6.2. I'm a ford guy turned wrenches for them a few years even went to college for them but the one thing I learned is I won't own a 5.4 3 valve ever worked on too many of them . If you can afford the 6.2 go for it .

Sounds like time to upgrade. All the mods in the world will not change the capacity numbers on the yellow door sticker. Also it is easier to get a heavy rig going than it is to stop it so you will benefit from bigger brakes as well.

Then after you dump a ton of money on this truck Mama will find a 5th wheel she really likes and you will need a bigger truck again. :)

And don't be runnin' 70mph with your travel trailer if you have ST tires. They're only rated to 65 mph max, and it's best to stay around 60-62 mph. :)

I think your performance expectations are quite high, but the bigger truck will certainly help achieve them.  But you really should not be towing that trailer over 65, if for no other reason than that its tires probably have a 65 mph speed rating and probably operating at their max load limits as well. Fuel economy will also benefit substantially from lower speeds.

Thanks for the boost guys. We actually took another trip this last weekend in some steeper more mountainous terrain that we would like to visit fairly frequently. I kept the truck under 3k and at times it crawled at about 18-22mph, I was quasi ok with the dips into the slower speed but it's obviously not made for this and the trans was definitely not happy, it made us pucker more than just a little. I also had to tow it out of the campsite in 4 low because of the steep grade to get back onto the main road. This is abuse, just a matter of time before I do damage. So after this trip the wife has agreed to bumping up our TV a notch or two.

3v 5.4, yeah mines making the phaser deiseling sounds and I'm doing the plugs this weekend.... Or am I?... Hmmmmm.

Not to hijack my own thread but my tires are trailer King st radials, says speed rating L which I read was 75... I thought 5-10 under was concervative... Am I exceeding?

You should have no problems running in overdrive unless you feel it shifting frequently at 65% load you are really not too loaded at all.

Spend the dough and go Diesel.  You will get an Exhaust brake which will ease the pucker factor going down hill.  Also you will get better MPG's when towing that make up the difference very quickly.

Not to hijack my own thread but my tires are trailer King st radials, says speed rating L which I read was 75... I thought 5-10 under was concervative... Am I exceeding?

Maybe not exceeding the tire rating, but even a few extra mph kills the fuel economy, and speed also means harder to stop. And a truck/trailer combo is always more challenging if an emergency maneuver is needed and additional speed makes that harder too. None of us plan on that, but it happens just the same.

I kept the truck under 3k and at times it crawled at about 18-22mph, I was quasi ok with the dips into the slower speed but it's obviously not made for this and the trans was definitely not happy, it made us pucker more than just a little. I also had to tow it out of the campsite in 4 low because of the steep grade to get back onto the main road. This is abuse, just a matter of time before I do damage. So after this trip the wife has agreed to bumping up our TV a notch or two.

I hate to beat up on anyone who treats their tow vehicle conservatively, but I think you really are babying it.  If you were pulling all day, every day, it might be abuse, but for occasional weekends I don't think the moderate extra wear & tear is a concern. But it's your truck, and you have the first hand experience with how it performs. Besides, you can never have too much truck!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom