WIFI booster antenna to USB on Smart TV, will it help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cutman

We are setting up a Smart TV in our trailer. Have heard campsite wifi is often very weak depending on several factors. I know a Smart TV will detect the wifi. Wanted to know if anyone has tried to connect a wifi booster antenna to the USB on the Smart TV? Hoping to improve a weak/intermittent signal to the tv. The retailers of the televisions don't know the answer. Reviews on the antennas show good results when using them with a laptop for this purpose.
Thanks!

I understand that in theory, but wasn't sure if the TVs are set up for the antenna to work. I haven't found anyone who has actually plugged a wifi antenna into a smart tv and can verify it will work. Didn't want to spend the money on an antenna for it not to work.

One thing I will recommend against is streaming video.. Most parks do not have the bandwidth.

I also recommend agains Smart TVs for a different reason... These TV's have a camera in them and a hacker can likely access same and have all sorts of fun.. He can see if you are home. He may well be able to see you walking around in a manner of dress you'd rather not have posted to the internet.

I streamed a lot of video in this park before I got my own account and never had any problems. My smart TV does not have a camera in it and if it did no one would get past my firewall.

Thanks for the feedback. After the info provided I checked and the TV does not have a camera and will order the antenna.

The USB port on the tv is probably not for wifi input. Usually The USB port on a TV is designed to handle a media device, e.g. a memory module or maybe a disk drive with a USB cable attached.  That enables you to display photos or play movies stored on a USB stick, for example.  Smart TVs use either wifi or or direct LAN cable connections. A typical Wifi antenna with a USB plug on it probably will not function in the tv USB port becasue there is no device driver in the tv to operate it via the USB port. Check your tv manual concerning what can be plugged to its USB port.

If you want to boost park wifi to assist your tv, you need a wifi booster gadget that re-broadcasts the wifi. Maybe something like this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/d-link-n300-wi-fi-range-extender/5052300.p
The tv's own wifi receiver will pick up the signal.

I doubt if any of this will make tv streaming any better in most RV parks, though. Typically they lack an internet connection that can provide the data rate that video demands. It may work ok in off-peak hours, but other users in the park will interfere during prime time.

As Gary said, the USB port is for media devices most often, software updates and diagnostics occasionally.  If the TV has wifi you're stuck with whatever antenna and interface it has

If you think you're going to be able to stream wherever you go you will be disappointed. Regardless of what you may have been told a booster will not increase available bandwidth.  Because someone was able to stream in park A doesn't mean you will be able to stream in parks B, C or D.  In the last 2 years we've stayed at one RV park with adequate bandwidth, and that got gobbled up on the weekends.

Some parks take such a dim view of bandwidth hogs that they block all media traffic.  I've shown several how to do it.  The smart parks monitor and limit bandwidth on a per device basis.

New to this RV wifi stuff. Thanks Muddy for the info. Your reply is what I thought. Good feedback on this forum... thanks!

You might be able to accomplish this by using a device similar to the WifiRanger with its router. The WifiRanger router has a wireless signal that the TV would connect to. I've never done this with mine but I think the WifiRanger people would be able to answer that question.
Edit: Or you could just plug into the router with an ethernet cord.

As previously stated, there might not be enough bandwidth available at most parks.

Back
Top Bottom