Cabinet, microwave, fridge doors open on the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kesch4

Morning, I have an 2015 Itasca Sun Crusier, Not my 1st class A.  I really do not understand how we are sent out on the road not having any locks or brackets to lock these doors!  I think it is a real safety issue, we have already replaced several times plastic door Latches, on top.  Also the Bottom freezer has nothing to keep it closed, So when going down the road the 1st couple of times the doors just open. Until my husband rigged up bungees. Also on the convection oven the door once in a while pops open.  We have also had the problem with the bottom freezer freezing up on us!  Really not liking Whirlpool Products and along with Itasca sending these out on the road with these safety issues.  We had residential Frigidaire and never had any of these issues.  Does anyone have any idea's to rig up the convection oven door?  Terrible to have to rig these things up, along with the many more items, I will not even go into.  Thank you if anyone has suggestions

Whirlpool doesn't make RV-ready fridges (nor does GE or Frigidaire). It's up to the RV manufacturer to provide the RV-specific necessities, so you should probably contact Winnebago about your safety concerns. I thought they did provide extra gadgets for travel conditions, so maybe they forgot on yours?  Or have something extra available?

I recently installed a GE residential in our coach and used the bungee cord method. It's inexpensive, easy, and still provides ready access during travel.

Our GE Spacemaker convection/micro has a real sturdy latch and it has never opened on its own. What brand/model do you have?

In 100,000 miles on the road with our Horizon, I'll have a grabber latch fail every year or two.  I think I've replaced four or five of them in total.  Our GE Advantium microwave/oven has never opened on the road but maybe it's built a little better than a lower price point microwave (it's about $1K.)

I really don't know what Winnie is doing to secure residential fridges, maybe we'll get somebody else to provide us some details that has a Winnie Class A with a residential fridge.  When we got rid of the Nocold for a residential fridge, I made a very simple latch that works very well. Click here and near the page bottom I show a Velcro method and then the turn latch method of securing the doors.

Yeah, what Gary said is correct. When it comes to residential fridges, Maytag didn't build them with latching mechanisms for RVs. We found that out the hard way. Our fridge doors have never come open but our bottom freezer door has when it's got some weight in it.

Here's what I came up with - it's a child safety latch for cabinets. I mounted it just above the freezer door, between the two fridge doors, so it's completely out of sight when all the doors are closed. To open the freezer door, you push on the latch with your finger tip, and it lifts up enough to clear the little black "catch" that's between the two screws, then you pull the door open. Works great.

Kev

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 51
John Canfield said:
I made a very simple latch that works very well. Click here and near the page bottom I show a Velcro method and then the turn latch method of securing the doors.

Nice job John. I will keep the wooden latch method when we decide to swap out ours. The fridge is still running good right now. Maybe I can sell it and it would pay for the residential fridge. It's 4 years old so I don't know what it's worth.
I like Kevin's idea too except you have to unlatch it everytime you open the doors but it's something to think about.

Way back  in 1979, the refrigerator door came open, and a homemade lemon meringue pie came out and landed upside down on the floor,  except for some meringue stuck to the door.

I have had many RVs since, and it has never happened again, due to my always making sure latches are secure or replaced. No depending on the manufacturer.

I still mourn that pie.

Our Suncruiser came with a very simple latch that you turn down to lock the freezer door.  The refrig has latches that are the same as the latches they put on all the drawers, but don't count on them to keep the doors closed if you hit a big ripple at an angle.  I have the eggs in the floor register to prove it. We put a couple of wraps of velcro around the handle and don't think they could ever come open now.  Don't see how it is possible that the convection oven door could ever come open if it is latched properly.  The bottom 2 drawers in the bedroom would come open so I just doubled up on the latches on both and that solved that issue.

We have a 2016 Adventurer with the same issues. You would think Winnebago has been making RV's long enough to now they need to put latches on doors and drawers. On the domestic refrigerator we use a strap around the two door handles. On the convection oven I put a strip of velcro on the underside of the door that I attach to the underside of the oven when we travel. Our unit has drawers behind a door for kitchen storage. I secured each of those drawers with a barrel bolt type latch.

bross said:
We have a 2016 Adventurer with the same issues. You would think Winnebago has been making RV's long enough to now they need to put latches on doors and drawers. ...
I'm surprised they don't provide some sort of latch.  :eek:

I'm surprised they don't provide some sort of latch.

Me too, John. Winnie is usually good about providing stuff like that. I guess somebody figured the standard magnetic "latch" is good enough? It may be so much of the time, but not 100%.

Apparently all the old engineers have retired, and a lot of young whipper-snappers have taken over.

Back in 2000 when they built my RV they used drawers you have to lift up to slide out. The fridge doors have built in latches.

Designers have gotten so into making the coach feel like a million dollar house, they forgot that it spends time on the road.

After seeing a lot of older Winnebagos and looking at the new models every year at GNR, I think the last year of really decent motor homes was 2004. It is nice when you see the new models and don't really have any inclination to buy a new one, because you like your older one better. I don't worry about always having the newest and latest and enjoy getting a lot of miles out of my vehicles. To me a virtually new vehicle has a 100,000 miles on it. I drive my vehicles over 300,000 miles. I don't have any more problems it seems than do some with almost new vehicles.

srs713 said:
..Designers have gotten so into making the coach feel like a million dollar house, they forgot that it spends time on the road.

John Hilley said:
After seeing a lot of older Winnebagos and looking at the new models every year at GNR, I think the last year of really decent motor homes was 2004. ..

I've noticed a design evolution in the last ten years or so since we bought our then queen of the fleet Horizon.  The interior volume kept getting larger, more cu ft., at the expense of some of the basement storage.  While I haven't studied specifications of then vs. now, it's a 'gut feel' based on my looking at coaches at the GNRs.  Also there's a focus on bling that in my opinion is now a bit out of control.  I would rather see an improvement in the quality of the cabinetry, upgrade of upholstery and other materials, side and not rear radiator, larger engine - an ISM or ISX as an upgrade, slow down the production lines so that more time can be spent to do the job right the first time.

The steel sheet panels could be aluminum - no rust and a significant weight loss.  Oh man, I could go on and on and on.....

Another random thought - since we went through the sailboat upgrade path (13' to 21' to 28' to 40'),  I was determined to buy our last coach first.  We will keep this Horizon until we have to hang up the keys, then I'll probably pass it on to a relative.  Even though we've spent maybe $25K in maintenance over a ten year period ($10k at one time), it's still way cheaper than buying new and eating depreciation.  For those folks that like to upgrade every year or three - my hat's off to you, you are keeping the factories running and people employed!

John that is what I say every time we get in ours, and then look at a new one, it just feels cheap, no matter how many lights, and cup holders they have they feel cheap. I would gladly trade ours for a older even, higher end, and I'm not talking about more expensive, just one that looks like someone gave a crap. :mad:

I agree that not everything is perfect in the new coaches, but some of the new technology is a definite improvement over older models. Inverter powered domestic refrigerators are high on my list of improvements. No more worring if the coach is level enough to keep the ice cream frozen. Power management systems with inverter assist and load shedding eliminates stumbling around in the dark to reset the the parks 30 amp breaker after the wife fires up the hair dryer. Automatic generator control that starts and stops the generator to keep the inverter batteries charged when boondocking is pretty sweet.

Don't bash them too bad, they may not be as classy as your 58 Edsel, but there are a few pretty nice improvements under the hood. ;)

When I replaced our failing Norcold fridge with a residential fridge, I installed modified window sash locks to keep the doors closed when in transit. A quick flip to lock them, and flip down for normal use. They cost about $3.50 each at Home Depot.

Attachments

• 2015-12-03 14.59.54.jpg
    2015-12-03 14.59.54.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 2015-12-03 14.59.36.jpg
    2015-12-03 14.59.36.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 19
NY_Dutch said:
When I replaced our failing Norcold fridge with a residential fridge, I installed modified window sash locks to keep the doors closed when in transit. A quick flip to lock them, and flip down for normal use. They cost about $3.50 each at Home Depot.

Dutch, do you have another picture showing what the latch catches on or did you have to put some kind of slot in the door?  Or is the mating piece attached to the back side/edge of the door?

The mating part of the latch is attached to the door, Rene. The only modification I had to make was to file off a small tab because the door part is actually installed backwards from the normal window installation.

Attachments

• 2015-12-03 15.00.52.jpg
    2015-12-03 15.00.52.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holtt
Back
Top Bottom