New Keystone Hideout 177LHS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pickles3

We just sold our pop-up and are excited to upgrade to a light weight travel trailer. It needs to be under 3500 lbs. Towing with a 2013 dodge Durango AWD. We are seriously looking at a new Hideout 177LHS. Does anybody have pros and cons of this trailer. Thank you!!

Welcome to the forums!

http://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2016/Keystone-RV/M-177-LHS/6557214/Specs

So...we just bought a travel trailer - and did a lot of looking from pop-ups to fifth wheel trailers.

We settled on a Keystone Summerland.

There's lots of help documents on this website - and good specs on the trailer at NADA guides.

Check the door panel of your truck - there's a sticker there with tire pressure AND tow ratings. It should be OK to tow that little trailer, but just being AWD is not really that important.

As far as buying NEW - we didn't. Why? Because the price depreciates a LOT in one or two years. If you buy used, you get the benefit of significant cost savings, AND whatever wasn't working when the previous owner bought it is probably fixed.

Keystone is an OK brand. It's not Airstream, but still good.

Hope this helps!
J

Thank you so much! We are very excited about upgrading from a pop up. And definitely something to look at regarding used vs new.

Hi,
Just bought a Keystone Hideoutm 177LHS on October 9th, have taken it out 2 times and now sits in a campground for the winter ready for some wither camping.  How have your first 6 months been with the 177LHS?

Crazycain--We're picking up our 177LHS sometime in the next two weeks. Very excited about getting into it. We really liked the rear dinette. Did you have any problems when you picked it up?

We love it. Perfect amount of room for my wife and me..Tows very easy, no swaying or much bouncing. The one thing that is bothersome is the screen door, when opened by itself, will not latch and stay closed. Looks to me like the hinges on the door itself are not designed well causing it to have a spring effect on the door..but nothing that can't be fixed easily ( is under warranty)

Attachments

• TT.jpg
    TT.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 22
We live in the southwest so we ordered one from the factory with the optional 13.5k air conditioner. If all you can find that is a problem is the screen door then that is pretty good! I have a Ram 1500 which is probably about the same as your Silverado 1500 as a tow vehicle. Do you use a weight distribution hitch with anti-sway?

Since we live in Michigan, we never know what the day or next day's weather will be like..  8,000 BTU A/C unit is just fine, we like the fact that it is in the wall. The guy at the dealer said if it breaks down, you can replace it cheaply. He said Menard's sells that type of unit..I use only a anti-sway bar and have O issues pulling it with my truck. I'm sure your Ram 1500 will pull it like a champ just like my Chevy does!! Thought about a WD hitch, but decided to try just the bar first, glad I saved the money!!

Unlike the other single axles thaat one actually has a halfway decent cargo capacity but don't overload it personally I like the wall air conditioners better than the roof units  feel that they cool better. And you can run on a 2000watt generator.....  Only draw back is the small holding tanks.  But if you mostly camp at campground with hookup. It's a none issue.......... you will probably do the same thing in your first thunderstorm that I did when I upgraded from my pop up to a travel trailer .........lookk honey I'm touching the walls and they're not leaking. 

Funny you mention a thunderstorm, our 2nd night out in the TT we had a pretty good Thunderstorm roll through. I got up to close the windows, laid back down and sleep like a baby..

you may have your heart set on the Hideout, but take a moment to look at my write up on trailer selection here:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,85612.msg773605.html#msg773605

Thanks for the suggestion of the toy hauler, but my wife and I only have a couple of bicycles that we may carry on some trips. And I wasn't interested in anything longer or higher than the 177lhs. I think we'll be happy with the 177lhs...at least for a while  ;D

Tom--I'm getting a whd for the trailer, I'm not that used to towing since the only thing I've towed since I was a teen is a pop-up which, of course, is way easier than a traditional TT.

As for the ac, I had the dealer turn on the air at the dealership one day when we had looked at one and it just didn't cool that great, it was about 96 that day. Since anywhere we would camp within 300 miles of us the late-spring to early fall temps will be in the mid to upper 90s, or higher, we decided to go for the larger unit in order not limit us to high mountain sites except in the dead of summer.

I hear you about not needing a Toy Hauler, but a great suggestion to people that do need one.

You are making a good choice in hitches. You have to go with what makes you the most comfortable for sure.. :

Again, smart move on a larger unit. We are not worried about it because we do most of our camping up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Heading out in a couple weeks for a weekend of camping in Northern Mich.

Happy Camping and let me know how you like you TT

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom