Speaking of campfires!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cut_un

One of the best things I like about RVing is having a campfire and sitting around watching the flames and talking!  Hard to beat!!!

The problem, these days, is fire wood. Bringing your own, is no longer acceptable in many areas. In some places it is even not legal. Those little bundles that you can buy are absurdly expensive.

At least, gathering fire wood in the National Forests is still permitted.

Joel

Personal choice.

We almost never have a campfire.  The only time we do is with the grandkids and we are making smores.
Smores over a gas grill is just immoral.

We still enjoy a campfire and nearly always have one when we have evening guests, but otherwise not very often anymore.  Since we don't do it every evening like we used to, I just bite the bullet and buy a bundle of wood (usually two). I still carry all the related gear, i.e. a large poker, starter fluid and sticks, a gas lighter, and some match-light charcoal if needed for a base (helps sustain a good fire when some helpful worker has removed all the old coals from the fire ring).

Greetings,

Don't know if I would have a campfire every night but when I rented an RV, pretty much had one each night out of the eight we were on the trip. Once a week would be required and agree nice to have one with friends. Something unique about sitting around the campfire that has been done for thousands of years.

Attachments

• IMG_7564.jpg
    IMG_7564.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 45
Most places I camp still allow bringing your own wood. My son on law always has a good supply of wood,so I take it whenever I can.
Campfires are one of the reasons I enjoy camping and I don't stay very long at places that do not allow campfires.

I also have a 42" portable fire pit in my back yard,and often spend a Friday or Saturday night there.

For me, a camp fire is almost a certification of an official camping experiance....

even better is an RV corral way out in the desert with a big ol' bonfire.

Gathering firewood in MN state parks is illegal. Bringing your own firewood is also illegal. So we're destined to purchase the absurdly expensive "bundles" (about 7 split pieces) that burn like a matchbox tinder, so you need quite a few to have a decent campfire.

I love the serenity of a campfire. We have one almost every night when camping. Also have a backyard fire pit we use quite often (love living in the country!!!). Can't move wood over 50 miles here in NY so sometimes have to suck it up and pay the ridiculous prices at the campground but can usually find private sellers close to campgrounds with good deals.

We went to a CG here in NH a few years ago. We knew before hand about not being able to bring our own firewood even where it was cut in NH. So I brought quite a bit of building materials. 2 X 4's and 2 X 6's. I wasn't allowed to burn that either. We had to buy the wood from them and you know it wasn't cheap. We did sneak in some of our wood when no one was looking. Needless to say, we will never go back to that CG again.

Today in Faribault it was a humid 90 degrees at 4pm. Some campers across the way had a campfire going with a couple of bundles worth of logs on it,,,  you know, because camping! :eek:

In the boundary waters, I pride myself to forage tinder and light a fire in a hurricane.
The campground issued wood ignites like gasoline and takes all the fun and challenge out of it..... :mad:

We use our Little Red Campfire.  To many restrictions out west for the real thing.

We used to have wood campfires, but the Emerald Ash Borer infestation put a stop to buying wood at home and taking it to the campground. We now use a propane fire most of the time. Still might pull out the wood when friends or family come to visit, but the little propane fire is friendly and easy - no more waiting until midnight to put out the fire!

One of the reasons we boondock and stay away from RV parks.

Many National and State Forests/Parks have restrictions on bringing wood in, so boondocking doesn't really alter the situation. Unless maybe you are boondocking at Walmart.  ;)

I personally don't think the restrictions have any real benefit. Nasty bugs have a habit of traveling to greener pastures just fine on their own and prohibiting fire wood is sort of like peeing on a forest fire. But bureaucrats, even forest management types, have to do something, so we get useless restrictions that are easy to write and enforce. And campgrounds are likely to be enthusiastic supporters, since it gains revenue for them as well.

Deep in their heart of hearts, both forest rangers and campground owners would love to do away with all fires. Would make their life much easier...

BinaryBob said:
In the boundary waters, I pride myself to forage tinder and light a fire in a hurricane.
The campground issued wood ignites like gasoline and takes all the fun and challenge out of it..... :mad:

Hi BinaryBob and all,

I use a bow with a stick to rapidly move the stick to create heat. Then when no one is looking I light the wood with my Bic  :-X ::)

Gary RV Roamer said:
Many National and State Forests/Parks have restrictions on bringing wood in, so boondocking doesn't really alter the situation. Unless maybe you are boondocking at Walmart.  ;)

I personally don't think the restrictions have any real benefit. Nasty bugs have a habit of traveling to greener pastures just fine on their own and prohibiting fire wood is sort of like peeing on a forest fire. But bureaucrats, even forest management types, have to do something, so we get useless restrictions that are easy to write and enforce. And campgrounds are likely to be enthusiastic supporters, since it gains revenue for them as well.

Deep in their heart of hearts, both forest rangers and campground owners would love to do away with all fires. Would make their life much easier...

We buy wood locally.  You are not forced to buy it in the park, you just can't transport it over 50 miles here. Most areas in the Northeast have lots of people selling wood near parks and campgrounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom