Speaking of campfires!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
maybe being required to buy firewood would be less painful if they put up a little sign saying....

"Firewood proceeds are used to support this campground" .

....AKA...good advertising... ;)

Or more truthfully ...

"Proceeds from firewood sales are used to help fund personnel to extinguish smoldering embers and clean the messes behind by careless campers"

We always carry an old stove rack to use as a grate to cook on.  Love the smell of wood burning, and the taste of meat cooked over an open fire.
    However, these days, seems my only campfire is the forum's Wednesday night's "Virtual Campfire"

Ed

TonyDtorch said:
maybe being required to buy firewood would be less painful if they put up a little sign saying....

"Firewood proceeds are used to support this campground" .

....AKA...good advertising... ;)

Perhaps they could elaborate:

"Please note the outrageous price we charge for a few sticks of sawmill slab waste (we get it free) goes a long way to offset our operating costs."

BinaryBob said:
"Please note the outrageous price we charge for a few sticks of sawmill slab waste (we get it free) goes a long way to offset our operating costs."

see,  this is how you do it..  there should be this kind of  "Truth in Advertising" in everything !

it's still not right, ... you're just not as mad about it.    ???

We love our camp fires but with so many bans and high wind conditions, we have enjoyed our Garden treasures propane pit quite a bit. No mess, no worry, no waiting to burn it down to go in at night. Just twist the knob and put on the lid.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I personally don't think the restrictions have any real benefit.

This is a matter of opinion. Here in MI, the Emerald Ash Borer has taken quite a toll. Thousands of Ash trees have had to be destroyed because of this little bugger. The restrictions were necessary to help control the spread to areas not yet infested. Or beyond state lines.
Yes, the local campgrounds do try to make a few extra bucks because of it. As well as some of the nearby residents with their little bundles of wood out in their front yards. But you can't blame them.

Personally, we have a campfire every night if weather permits. Sometimes all day long too! Depends how busy we are. We do some cooking on the fire when we feel like it. Or just sit with an adult beverage and watch the flames. I've also been known to throw in some cut up pieces of old copper wire in the hot coals to watch the colors dance in the flames.
Then again, we don't travel and have an endless supply of wood. A campfire can be a very comforting thing.

BTW...
Nothing better than a big juicy steak, or even some hotdogs, cooked over a hardwood campfire!

camperAL said:
Hi BinaryBob and all,

I use a bow with a stick to rapidly move the stick to create heat. Then when no one is looking I light the wood with my Bic  :-X ::)

LOL... After a very challenging day when I'm dead dog tired, I've been known to add a dash of white gas.  ;)

Wow dry firewood at a campground! around here I am sure they soak it in anti flame solution for 2 weeks before selling it to you!
It is so wet that IF you can get a small fire burning you have to dry the larger sticks on the grill so it will smolder for an hour or so.

I plan on this season to try the compressed sawdust blocks. they are clean burning easy to light and last about 3 hours.

Great Horned Owl said:
I prefer charcoal lighter fluid. It burns longer.

Joel

Denatured alcohol works well, as does WD-40. I used to buy WD-40 in the gallon jugs and have a bit left over that I used some of a couple of weeks ago. I can build a fire the conventional way, but would rather get the thing going then relax rather than mess around with it.

Great Horned Owl said:

Joel

When I worked for the Forest Service we had a substance we made called poor mans napalm.  Get some powdered rubber shavings from the local tire recapping shop, mix with three parts diesel to one part gasoline.  That stuff would get snow covered rocks burning.

Of course, the local air quality district was not happy when we used it. 

I put 3 or 4 match-lite charcoal brickets under a bunch of firewood and it's a for sure fire.

Great Horned Owl said:

Joel

I start fires with a couple of paper towels wet with vegetable oil. And I try to find a few pine cones if there are pines around.

srs713 said:
I start fires with a couple of paper towels wet with vegetable oil. And I try to find a few pine cones if there are pines around.

I put my bacon grease into a can with paper towels. Love the smell of bacon fires.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom