Chalk painting all those "wood look" surfaces.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kricket09

Anyone had experience painting cabinets and wood panel walls in their rV? Ive done some in chalk paint ( lightly sanded and cleaned surfaces first, no primer) but I am worried about the durability and find even though they are finished with wax they dont seem as durable as I was hoping. Was hoping someone has tried painting them and had some tips on a more durable finish or even some suggestions as weather or not to use a primer, which type and what to finish with? wax? polyacrylic?

I've not personally painted them (yet!) But, in all my research have found that chalk paint wouldn't be good for cabinets, as the finish isn't durable enough. Now, if you plan to polyurethane afterwards, they should hold up. I plan on painting all of my walls and cabinets with Behr premium paint. If you go with a higher quality paint, your results will be better. Good luck!

I painted all of the cabinets and wood in our RV. I used rustoleum paint in high gloss for most of it, and if gives the cabinets a high sheen and laqured feel.
For the doors, I removed them and used spray paint, for thr bases I used the rustoleum roll on paint.
It has held up beautifuly, and can be wiped down and cleaned no problem.
I did not finish it with poly, as I have had more issues with it flaking and yellowing over time than I have with just the paint.

Did mine, didn't even sand, just washed down any areas that would obviously be greasy from fingers after years of use (around handles, edges.) I used a gloss interior paint, but exterior would be fine as well. Maybe even hold up better. After one year of use I had a few small areas of chipping or scraping off where my fingernails hit the surface when opening two of my cabinets that do not have knobs. I touched up the paint and then put on a coat of clear poly and all has been well since. I painted professionally for years and found that as long as you have real wood, not the pressboard, you really don't have to do major prep work aside from washing away grease and dirt before painting to get a durable finish. Gloss is the hardest finish, but if you want a more satin look most paints today are very good, but for extra protection you can add a layer of satin poly. Unfortunately pressboard will at some point just bloat up in spots from humidity or water/spills and it will peel off any paint you put on the surface regardless of primer or other prepwork. Primer is really only used to cover up underlying patterns, a dark paint color, to seal up any patch jobs or to create a bond to a very shiny surface. I know chalk paint is all the rage for hard to paint surfaces, but regular paint really will work just as well.

Back
Top Bottom