38' Class A with 360 Cummins Towing Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amen

Wondering if a 38' MH with a 360 Cummins (pusher) could tow Lincoln Mark LT truck (like a F150 4 door 4wd) with a topper and a 14ft flat bottom boat on top. I'm sure we'll have the truck loaded with items. The hitch is rated for 10K lbs.

It will, but it won't be a racer.  What is the combined weight of the truck and coach, both loaded for travel? RV makers use 100 lbs/hp as there base performance target and that is none too exciting on hills. Most people want more like 80 lbs/hp. In comparison, your car is probably down around 20 lb/hp!

Agree with Gary that you need to know your actual (scaled) weights. But, for illustration, our 38 foot Monaco Camelot with a Cummins 350hp engine and 6-speed Allison transmission tows our Suburban with no issues. The coach was scaled at 30,600 lbs, but is closer to 31,500 lbs for many of our trips. The Suburban weighs around 6,500 lbs when loaded. That puts us over the magic ratio of 100lbs/hp.

Few rigs pass our driver on the hills. However, if she has to slow right down and loses RPM while on a hill, then it's a slow recovery.

My 38 footer figures out to 105 pounds per horsepower including the towed and it performs very well all over the western US,, I'm from Utah and mountains and hills are a way of life.>>>Dan  (To get something that performs well in the west you need a turbocharger,,,nuff said)

Back
Top Bottom