Removing cargo door frame

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Merc123

I have severe water damage in this area and it's rotted enough the plywood and 1x1 can't support the screws/staples holding up the metal.  I'm wanting to replace the 1x1 at the very least so I can secure the metal back up and seal the seam until I can tear it all out. 

What I can't figure out is how to get the door frame out.  I see screws on the corners but that's it.  Are they just caulked in? 

I also think to fix what I need to temporarily I need to just pull that small 1" strip of metal back to access the screws that go from the outside to the inside through the 1x1 and into a metal frame that's in there. 

Attachments

• camperdoor.jpg
    camperdoor.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 54
When you open the door, look to see if there are staples driven through the frame into the edge of the siding. Sorry, kinda hard to explain what I mean without a pic.

I think the screws just hold the sides of the frame together. Each piece is probably stapled as kdbgoat described. Staples may be from the inner door-edge side, or even the back. The caulking around the outer edge just seals between the siding and the door frame.

Likely you will also have to remove some siding to repair the structural damage underneath.

I don't see any staples anywhere on the frame or inside. There was a gap on top inside and it looks like some kind of white foam type double sided tape. Could it just be individual pieces taped in and then screwed together on the corners?

I will have to remove the bottom metal eventually which looks like fun  :'(

Our first travel trailer was a 2000 Wilderness (looks like your 5th wheel might be a Wilderness, too?). In any event, on ours the exterior "picture frame" around the door had plastic trim pieces that came off revealing screws underneath. These screws are what held the door frame in place to an opening framed with 2x2s. Can you tell if those pieces come off on your door? If so, just you should be able to remove the screws and then remove the door frame (along with caulking and any other weather stripping that was used).

Joezeppy said:
Our first travel trailer was a 2000 Wilderness (looks like your 5th wheel might be a Wilderness, too?). In any event, on ours the exterior "picture frame" around the door had plastic trim pieces that came off revealing screws underneath. These screws are what held the door frame in place to an opening framed with 2x2s. Can you tell if those pieces come off on your door? If so, just you should be able to remove the screws and then remove the door frame (along with caulking and any other weather stripping that was used).
Yep. This. You need to remove the plastic screw covers by gently prying them out of the track. They may be brittle and break, in which case, your local RV dealer should have replacement pieces in stock. The caulking will probably need to be cut(carefully!) to get the door loose.

I have a different brand trailer, but mine were just caulked in.

The piece marked with orange seems like it may pop out but probably not without removing the screw and the other part of the frame surround.  I was worried about trying to pry it out and damaging it.

I did notice there are staples from outside to the inside into the frame that was rotted.     

I can't find anything on the interior of the frame to indicate any covers or anything on the inside of the opening. 

Attachments

• IMG_8507.JPG
    IMG_8507.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 33
If that piece the orange tape is on is plastic, it should pop out. Just take a sharp knife at the end/45 degree joint and try to pry it out.

Rene T said:
If that piece the orange tape is on is plastic, it should pop out. Just take a sharp knife at the end/45 degree joint and try to pry it out.

Agree. The trim should just be press-fit in there.

The screws at the corners are just holding the outermost frame together (similar concept to the frames of metal storm windows or doors.). They don't hold the frame to the camper in any way.

Search for "RV rigid insert". This is what you're seeing marked in orange. Like Rene said, just get a blade under their and carefully pry it out. You may want to heat it a bit with a hair dryer if it's a cool day when you do this.

Glad we could help and thanks for getting back to us. Many times we attempt to help members and they never get back to us with the outcome.

There is some kind of Playdo type of sealer underneath the trim is that a lap sealant or something else it is still pliable and workable

On that same Wilderness I mentioned earlier, I installed a new baggage door under a bunk bed. I bought some putty tape (my words...don't know what it's called) - it came in a roll about 1/8" or 1/4" thick and 1-1/2" wide. I bet that's similar to what you found under the trim piece.

Could be As it was similar in dimension and looked like a roll type product.

Found it I think.

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Butyl-Putty-Tape-p/vts-419.htm

Back
Top Bottom