CB Radio Install & Antenna

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudshark

Hi All
Getting ready to install a CB.
I have a Cobra 29 LX and I am looking at a Firestik antenna. Amazon has an FS3-B with a tuneable tip, 650 watts. But it doesn't mention NGP. Would this work?
Thanks

I just checked this antenna nd saw nothing related to no ground plane and in one article there was a caution about ground plane installation so I suspect a ground plan is needed for this antenna.  For RV use I recommend a no ground plane antenna as it is much easier to find an installation point and generally works as well as a grounded one.

Here are 2 antennas that should work well, Firestik NGP 3-Way Mount CB Antenna Kit, Firestik NGP Side Mount CB Antenna Kit.  There are many others but I happen to like Firestik products based on past experience.

Firestick makes bot GP and NGP antennas... (NOTE an NGP will work with or without) I'd make sure it's an NGP.

NOTE: Most better truck stops carry them, you can walk out today.

Mine (phictured in another thread) is a competitor's NGP, works well, I'm sure the firestick NGP (I think they make two of those, one longer) The longer one shoudl work as well or better than mine.

Of course I don't use CB that much..... I push 100 watts into 50 feet of wire (or more depending on where I'm parked) on 80 or 40 meters Ham Bands.. Way nicer.

But I use CB on the freeway.

I have the Firestik NGP 3-Way Mount CB Antenna Kit on its way to me. I believe it says it is tuneable by twisting the end.
How do I do that? Do I need an SWR meter?

mudshark said:
I have the Firestik NGP 3-Way Mount CB Antenna Kit on its way to me. I believe it says it is tuneable by twisting the end.
How do I do that? Do I need an SWR meter?

Yes, you will either need your own or find someone, a Ham Radio person for example, that will help.  It is a lot easier with 2 people but one can do it.

I have the antenna and I had to order a different mount. I also have an SWR meter on its way.
I would like to mount it on the driver's side but there is a radio antenna there. Will they interfere with each other? Or should I mount the CB antenna on the passenger side?

My peterbilt uses same antennas for CB and am/fm radio from factory. Thought they were special antennas, broke one, put on fire sticks, no problems.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom