Towing with 2005 Toyota Tundra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcb28

My wife & I are about to purchase our 1st Travel trailer. We have a 2005 Tundra V8 Access Cab 4x4  and wanted to know if I can pull a 5200 lb. trailer with "a few" things in it and get it around easy & safely. We don't want to purchase a $20,000+ Trailer & not be able to pull it to campgrounds. We also have a 2006 4-Runner V8 SR-5 but I think i'd be better off pulling with a Tundra (not sure which would be better).  From what I've read that I can pull 6900lbs, but I wanted to see what my "NEW" friends on here have to say. THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME!

http://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/om/OM34427U/pdf/8.pdf

1GR−FE engine Two−wheel drive models Without towing package 2268 (5000)

2UZ−FE engine Two−wheel drive models Without towing package 2494 (5500) With towing package 3311 (7300)

Four−wheel drive models Without towing package 2358 (5200) With towing package 3175 (7000)

(numbers in parenthesis are pounds, others are kg.)

Check the yellow/white sticker in the driver's side door pillar. That should tell you exactly how much the payload for the truck can be. Subtract from that the weight of passengers, any cargo in the back of the truck, and the weight of any non-factory installed hitch/accessories. That will tell you the maximum tongue weight the truck can handle.

Absolutely BEST CASE scenario from the Toyota Tundra specification pages, based on the limited info we have is...7000 lbs towing capacity, (access cab, 4x4) and a payload weight of 1477 lbs. (limited edition, standard bed)

Maximum payload including weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment and cargo
∗6: Installing accessories in addition to those installed at the factory increases the weight of the vehicle, thereby reducing
payload. Contact your Toyota dealer about the weight of accessory parts.

Your 2006 4Runner has about the same towing capability, but a much lower payload rating.

RV dealers are notorious for GIVEING the unloaded weight to customers.    You need to go by the gross weight of the trailer when checking towing capacity 5200 dosent sound like a good weight to me it probley more like 6,900

Excellent advise!

Get the Payload from the yellow label.  It is specific to YOUR truck as it left the factory.  The published payload is for a base model with no options, and an asterisk saying you must deduct the weight of all options from this number.

TT dry weight is what it weighed when it left the factory.  When you go camping, you have added propane, pots and pans, clothing, linens, etc. and the actual weight will be much closer to GVWR, so use GVWR as an estimate of camper weight.

Add up the weight of all passengers, pets and cargo in the truck.  Add 80# for the WD hitch.  Add 700# for tongue weight.  Your truck payload must be sufficient to carry this much weight.  Check, but you should be fine.

Thank you all for your help & answers/comments. Its a KZ Connect 260RK that we are looking into. I'll look back in case of more comments! I know I have SO MANY questions to ask, but THANKS AGAIN!

If the RK in the model number is for rear kitchen just be aware that those models sometimes have issues getting enough tongue weight to tow without sway due to heavy cookware and groceries being loaded so far behind the axles. One recent poster was going to load sandbags under the front storage cabinet to correct this on a similar model.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom