Verify axle ratio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markandpeg

Hello,
We are going to look at a vehicle this weekend and I was curious if there is a way to verify the axle ratio orher than what the sales man says? Its a 2015 F-250 super duty 6.2L 4WD 6 speed auto. 

Thanks
Mark

It should be on the window sticker. It will be either 3.33 or 3.55.
If you have the VIN http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

glen54737 said:

Thanks!  I will look for it... I just talked to the sales man yesterday and he said it was 3.73.... now I really have to verify it! Lol.... thanks again!

Open the driver's door and look at the black and white sticker. There is a place that says "axle". If that number is a 3, then 3.73 gears, if 4 then 4.30 gears. If it has an E also, then electric locking rear.
glen54737- F-250's only come with 3.73 or 4.30 gears.

kdbgoat said:
Open the driver's door and look at the black and white sticker. There is a place that says "axle". If that number is a 3, then 3.73 gears, if 4 then 4.30 gears. If it has an E also, then electric locking rear.

Kdbgoat, thanks! Just curious if you knew is electronic lock a desirable feature for 5th wheel towing?

It doesn't hurt when on grass or mud, but be aware, I think it's about a $2800 option.

glen54737 said:
If you have the VIN http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/vindecoder.php

And if you are buying used or the info isn't available, jack one drive wheel off the ground. use a jack stand and wheel chocks. Put transmission in neutral and rotate the drive wheel one full revolution while counting revolutions of the drive shaft. Mark the wheel and driveshaft for reference. The driveshaft will rotate 3.33 turns for a 3.33 ratio, 3.55 for a 3.55. In other words about 3 and a third turns for3.33 or 3 and a half turns for a 3.55. The higher the number the lower the ratio. A lower ratio gives more pulling power and less top speed and visa versa for a higher ratio.

You can E-mail the manufacture and ask them for the build sheet for your vehicle. Have the VIN # ready. Chrysler sent me mine in about 5 minutes.

markandkim said:
You can E-mail the manufacture and ask them for the build sheet for your vehicle. Have the VIN # ready. Chrysler sent me mine in about 5 minutes.

Thanks for the tip!!

kdbgoat said:
Sorry your correct the Gas ones are 3.73 or 4.30 and that's what he is looking at the diesel is 3.31 or 3.55.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dlord
Back
Top Bottom