EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: We're in Alaska now - finally!  (Read 3273 times)

Chet18013

• ---
We're in Alaska now - finally!
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:38:26 PM »
We left Benson, AZ on 15APR, ultimate destination Alaska. So far along the way, we've made stops at Flagstaff,  Lake Powell, Bryce, Provo, Yellowstone (RVForum rally), Harrisburg & Salem OR, Olympic penninsula, Victoria, Ferry from Port Hardy to Prince Rupert, and finally yesterday, the Alaskan Ferry from Rupert to Ketchikan.

Yesterday's ferry ride was a joy. There was about a 10% cloud cover, but otherwise the day was sunny and the water was almost glass smooth. The boarding and subsequent exit of the ferry was as a real challenge, especially with our 45' RV. We're presently at the Clover Pass RV/Fishing Resort which is the only RV park in Ketchikan with 50A full hookups. The sites are a bit tight, but the owners here are really friendly folks.

The attached photos show the Ferry, the loading ramp and our arrival at Ketchikan.
Chet18013
Full time in a 45' '04 Monaco Signature
towing a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Chet18013

• ---
Re: We're in Alaska now - finally!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 12:56:43 PM »
We have seen a large number of eagles From Rupert to Ketchikan. Here's a shot of an old crab boat and a blowup of the top of the mast.

Chet18013

Ken & Sheila

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smokey 3
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 02:25:30 PM »
Chet, did you have to do a 3 point turn to get off the ferry? One trip we boarded from the side, pull towards the front and then had to back out to exit from the side. Crew gave very careful signals to back me out. That was with our first MH, the 36ft Imperial.
Ken & Sheila
2009 Monaco Camelot 42 PDQ
2008 Jeep Liberty, 2006 Saturn Vue
Fur-ball kids: Ariel and Mia

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 10:10:28 AM »
Hi Ken, I think it was more like a 6 point turn. The ferry was over booked and they really packed us in tight. Plus they had 6 waiting on standby. I got a GoPro dash camera movie of both the loading and unloading. One of these days I'll start editing and post them.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2016, 11:28:12 AM by Chet18013 »
Chet18013

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 11:32:28 AM »
Hats off to you Chet. Alaska sounds exciting. I have friends on their way in a 5th wheel. I just can't get past wearing a winter jacket in June.  8)
05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

zmotorsports

• ---
  • Hardcore Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 11:43:58 AM »
Sounds like a fun trip Chet, I am jealous but following along.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty Baroness
2008 Haulmark Edge 26'
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
FMCA# F315002

MN Blue Skies

• ---
  • Favorite saying: "It depends."
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 08:33:01 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip Chet, I am jealous but following along.

Mike.

I'm also jealous.  Wish we were there!
A girl called Max, her husband Eric, Princess Kitty, and Molly the Service Dog in training.

2013 Cougar High Country 315 RES ( A 35' 5th Wheel)
"Big Blue" 2012 RAM 3500 Big Horn (Cummins Diesel 1 ton)

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 12:49:45 PM »
Here's a few more from our trip, so far.

One big Sitka Spruce.

a couple of Ketchikan totems.

We've seen as many as four of these cruse ships here at one time. The big cruse ships are making their stops along the way. They disgorge 3-4000+ passengers at each of three ports for 3-6 hours so they can walk along several blocks of souvenir “junk” shops, and then move on the next port. This one is just getting ready to depart.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 12:53:50 PM by Chet18013 »
Chet18013

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 07:21:47 AM »
We noted that during our Alaska trip as well. Some of the small towns thrive due to the cruise ships and their captive audiences.  It is fun watching them pull in and out though.
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickTNG
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Jeff and Anita

• ---
  • Hello from Oceanside CA!
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 07:46:10 AM »
We loved Alaska. When we were in Chicken, Alaska, they had the 100 year flood. Tried going over the top but the road was washed out. Holes big enough for large rigs. The town of Chicken relies on cruise customers for some of their income. Unfortunately, the cruise buses couldn't make it to Chicken.
2014 Winnebago Sightseer 33C
2015 Jeep Rubicon
2 furry Lab Children: Murphy and Gator

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
We've spent 4 nights in Wrangell at Alaskan Waters RV park. The only commerical campground in town.They have 5 full hookup 30A sites and two with power and water only. The owners are very friendly folks and also run a jet boat sightseeing tour in the area. We took their trip to the LeConte Glacier and really enjoyed it. It was a 5 hour tour where they took the boat a close to the face of the glacier as possible. Many of the ice bergs were home to harbor seals and their pups.

There are many totem poles around town. The life of a totem is 60 to 140 years before they finally rot away. They do NOT have a religious meaning, rather they are constructed to tell a story.

Here's some photos of the jet boat, the glacier, and several totems.
Chet18013

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2016, 01:01:50 AM »
Chet we are glad to hear the trip is going well.

Enjoy

Jeff in Ferndale Wa

• ---
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 09:26:02 AM »
We have seen a large number of eagles From Rupert to Ketchikan. Here's a shot of an old crab boat and a blowup of the top of the mast.

I doubt that boat ever was a crabber.
There is no means to move pots around,and no place to store pots on deck.
Judging from the configuration and the equipment on deck it is more likely a factory longliner of some sort.
Probably processed cod or some similar bottomfish.
2007 Springdale 260
2008 Ford F250
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
Rampage Motorcycle Lift

Currently at work in King Cove, Alaska

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2016, 11:57:42 AM »
I doubt that boat ever was a crabber.

The photo doesn't show the detail, but there were a large number of the large king crab traps stacked on the deck. It very well could be that this boat is now just a floating storage for all kinds of "junk". It may have been some kind of a floating collection ship that processed the catch while off shore.

We arrived at Petersburg, at 10:00pm last night. Petersburg has the largest fleet independent fishing boats of any port in Alaska. Hope to get some fresh fish here. Photos to follow later.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2016, 05:13:45 PM by Chet18013 »
Chet18013

Roadhappy

• ---
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 12:41:14 AM »
I'm also very jealous but enjoying the posts.  Keep them coming.

Robin

Robin & Charles
2008 30' Crossroads Cruiser Fifthwheel
2008 F250 Powerstroke

denmarc

• ---
  • "I put a spell on you!"
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 03:40:58 AM »
Me too! I'm jealous! And I've been there! I wanna go back so bad I can taste it. Sounds like we were up there the same time Jeff and Anita were there. Only we were one of those who couldn't make it to Chicken due to washed out roads.
Beautiful country. Denali National Park is awesome. A helicopter ride to Mt. McKinley is breath taking (weather permitting).
You guys are going to have a blast! Keep the pics coming.
Mark

1994 Jayco Eagle 370FB on 24 acres of paid off paradise in Michigan.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.
Dr. Seuss

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »
Sunday was a laundry and grocery shopping day. Didn't get much looking around done. The Frog RV Park where we're staying is the only one in Petersburg that has full hookups  - with 50A power no less. It's a big park with 5 sites, one of which is a seasonal. All 4 of the current renters arrived as a group from the 10:30pm ferry Saturday night. The owner and his wife (who's really in charge) were out in the rain to help the 4 of us get parked. As you can see in the first photo, the sites are a bit tight and are lined up on a gravel lot right on the water. Our Monaco kind of fills the area.

Around noon on Sunday, the owner knocked on our door  and gave us some fresh crab he had caught that morning. They were hot and right out of the boiling pot. When the tide goes out, second photo, he walks out and sets several traps on the mud flat. He leaves them there and then retreves them at the next low tide. Crabs in the front yard. Fresh hot crab along with a water front site is definitely a first for us.

I did get a shot of about 10% of the fishing boat harbor just up the road from us. There are several harbors here. More later.

The last shot is just some local color.

Chet18013

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 09:03:00 PM »
This morning the Matanuska (the ferry we've been on 4 times so far) went by the campground so I got a good shot of it. We went to the Crystal Lake fish hatchery today. There we saw one and two year old king salmon . The two year olds will be released in the spring of 2017.

RV park owner gave us some more fresh crab today.

So far the weather has been wonderful. The last photo is typical of the sights and the weather we've had.
Chet18013

joshj84

• ---
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 09:28:02 PM »
If you dont mind me asking how much was the ferry fee's to get to ketchikan?

Chet18013

• ---
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 09:44:10 PM »

The cost of the ferry is based on number of people and the length of your vehicles. Since we have a 45' motor home and a Jeep Grand Cherokee we have had to pay the maximum fare plus there is an extra cost for each on and off and we will have 6. You can go to the Alaskan Ferry web site can get detailed costs for your conditions.
Chet18013

Steve N Dee

• ---
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 12:04:11 PM »
Thanks for the pics Chet.  Glad your Alaska adventure is going well.  It's definitely a bucket list item for us that won't happen until retirement.  We are certainly enjoying following along.  Great to see you in Yellowstone.  Happy & safe travels!

Steve & Dee
Steve & Dee - Racing towards retirement
Fritz & DJ, (the boys)
2005 Winnebago Journey 34H Diesel Pusher
2013 Ford Edge SEL AWD Toad
Burbank, CA

On time.....is when we get there

Alaskansnowbirds

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 01:14:31 AM »

Here is the link for the Alaska Marine Highway System. Fares are listed under the "Travel Details" tab.

If you have a MH with toad, price it for overall length with toad connected and also price it with taking the toad off and taking each vehicle on as separate vehicle.

Sometimes it's cheaper taking two shorter vehicles than taking one very long vehicle (MH with toad connected is one vehicle). On the form select "Motorhome" as type vehicle then length is total from front bumper of MH to rear bumper of toad.

You can also save some money by driving to Prince Rupert, Canada and departing from there.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 01:17:45 AM by Alaskansnowbirds »
Don & Peg
Alaska/Arizona
Currently located here.
Weather at Camp Verde, AZ.

Northerntravel

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2016, 11:15:15 AM »
Hey Folks!

I've been reading through your posts and RVing sounds like an interesting way to explore the North!  I am doing some research on this topic.  If you would like to provide some insight about your travel to Alaska-Yukon that would be fantastic.  Message me if you're interested. 

Best,
Natalia

Bob Maxwell

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Smile, and the world smiles with you . . .
    • The American Southwest
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 04:06:40 PM »
Chet, having lived in Juneau for a year, I loved all these pictures. I Hope to see you at Saguaro this year. . .or you coming through Holbrook.
Adiós. . .

Bob †
and wife Betty Font 

. . . still ridin' for the brand.

1994 Suncruiser 34RQ, Cummins 5.9L/230 Allison 3060
'08 Kia Spectra5,
FMCA SKP

Holbrook AZ, west of the Petrified Forrest NP on I-40

Hosted by Over The Network