The Cousins Mexican Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Day -4

We arrived in Presidio Texas this afternoon to make final preparations for a 42 day caravan down the Copper Canyon by rail, the Mexican coast, and a ferry to La Paz before making the final three week trip up the Baja to San Diego. This is following in the footsteps of Betty and Terry Brewer. (I am on a fool's errand to try to emulate Betty's journals ::))

Our wagon masters are the Brewers' (and our) friends Pat and Alice Maitland whom we met a year ago at the Brewer's lot in Yuma and who visited the Forum site at Quartzsite in January. When we arrived this afternoon around 5:00PM an informal reception was already in progress. What a group, three days to go and the party has already started! Our fellow travelers are from all over the country and Canada and seem to be a fun group. Here is a photo of the first get together.

In the morning we cross the border to obtain Mexican travel permits and to exchange dollars for pesos. The afternoon is tentatively scheduled for a golf scramble for those interested. It seems our tail gunner Hex Hoechstenbach is an avid golfer and as soon as golf was mentioned went into action to arrange the outing.

We hope to spend a day running down to Big Bend NP 40 miles south of Presidio for a quick reconnoiter before the official rally day Sunday. Will have to see how things work out.

Attachments

• Presidio 1 (Medium).JPG
    Presidio 1 (Medium).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 133
You're at the beginning of a great adventure.  I know you'll enjoy it.  Looking forward to your trip reports.

Have a great trip Jeff. Having the Brewers as wagonmasters has to be the icing on the cake. Wish we were coming along.

Anyone,

Did Betty & Terry join one of the "RV Caravan Groups" as Wagonmasters???  What a kick that will be for them.  Good for Betty & Terry.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Anyone,

Did Betty & Terry join one of the "RV Caravan Groups" as Wagonmasters???  What a kick that will be for them.  Good for Betty & Terry.

JerryF

<<Our wagon masters are the Brewer's and our friends Pat and Alice Maitland whom we met a year ago at the Brewer's lot in Yuma and who visited the Forum site at Quartzsite in January.>>

I don't think Jeff said that Terry and Betty are wagonmasters. I think he said that the wagonmasters are friends of the Cousins and of Terry and Betty.

Is this correct, Jeff?

JerArdra said:

Jerry,

No we did not join the Copper Canyon Caravan, nor did we sign up as wagon masters.  While I like this people pleasing sort of thing, I have retired and will not work even for travel. :)  I think Jeff meant that the Wagon Masters who took us on our Copper Canyon trip are the same Wagon masters they have.  Pat and Alice are terrific leaders and will take good care of every one.  We have signed up to go on another Mexican Adventure next January to the Yucatan Pennisula.  Pat and Alice will be our trip leaders.  That trip is already booked up.

Terry and I await with anticipation the reports from Sue and Jeff.  We enjoyed our trip very much in large part because of the fun folks with whom we  met on the travels.

Betty

Jeff Cousins said:
We arrived in Presidio Texas this afternoon to make final preparations for a 42 day caravan down the Copper Canyon by rail, the Mexican coast, and a ferry to La Paz before making the final three week trip up the Baja to San Diego. This is following in the footsteps of Betty and Terry Brewer. (I am on a fool's errand to try to emulate Betty's journals

Jeff,
Just please be careful in Cabo San Lucas.  Do not join any limbo contests.  As you will note my journal of Mexico stopped when we hit Cabo and I almost broke my wrist at a very  great party on the beach.  By the way a 12 year old beat me out at limbo.  Please journal the whales in Guerro Negro as that was a highlight and I failed to write about it  as I was "injured."

Betty

Betty,

Here's what Jeff said so I thought you became Wagon Masters.

Our wagon masters are the Brewer's and our friends Pat and Alice Maitland whom we met a year ago at the Brewer's lot in Yuma.

I would have interrupted it different if he said,  Our Wagon Masters are Pat and Alice Maitland who are friends of both the Brewers and us.

Being a WagonMaster is a lot of work.  That's really great about you next Mexican adventure.  Too bad it's already booked up.  Ardra and I would have gone with you and Terry.  Maybe something will open for that trip.

JerryF

Jerry:

Sorry for the confusion. Put yourselves on the waiting list as Pat says they always have cancellations when they are full this early.

Day -3

The last of our group arrived today and all but two have completed paperwork and are ready to go. When Betty says Pat & Alice take great care of their group it goes beyond good. One of the couples arrived in a brand new coach. They are California residents but are trying to register the m/h in AZ so are on a temp AZ plate that expires April 14th. They do have a letter from the dealer giving them permission to take the coach into Mexico but it is addressed to the AZ address.

You are required to show originals and copies of Titles, Registration, and DL's that all show the same name on them, this couple could not do that with the paperwork they had. When we arrived at the Mexican vehicle registration this morning the couple was told "NO WAY" but the authorities didn't realize they were dealing with Alice. Three and a half hours after we left they came back with a permit after talking to five different officials at the office. Being persistant works!

We got together this afternoon and, as I am sure every group does, discovered talent sitting around the circle. Ted Lloyd (Photo below) is a rancher from Ontario Canada and is a good guitar picker and country singer. He was encouraged to entertain us tonight and came up with "Tequila Makes Her Clother Fall Off" and "That Train" that really got the group in the mood for our trip!

Tommorrow we are having a golf outing and an "unofficial" dinner as a surprise Birthday Party

Attachments

• Ted (Medium).jpg
    Ted (Medium).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
Jeff, it sounds like you're off to a great start.  Have a blast!

ArdraF

Hi Jeff & Sue,

That will be quite a transition for you switching from wine to Margaritas. :D
Take care and enjoy your trip.
chris

Sorry I don't know where to ask this question.  I can't view Jeff's pictures.  I get a message that I am not authorized to view the site.  Can anyone help?
Joe Bee

Joe,

You appear to have all the right permissions. I need to investigate further.

chrpennings said:
Hi Jeff & Sue,

That will be quite a transition for you switching from wine to Margaritas. :D
Take care and enjoy your trip.
chris

Chris:

See first song above. ;D

Day 1

We are ready!

Today was final packing, a three hour trip briefing by our wagon masters and tail gunner and a reception and dinner tonight to get things started. By now we are getting to put names to faces as we get to sit down with our travel partners. It becomes more of a family everyday.

It is also very evident that our group plans to have fun! Yesterday playing golf one of our group teed up his second shot in the fairway and didn't understand why we were all laughing so hard. When we got out a camera he immediately picked up the tee and would not pose so tonight he was presented with a photo of his motorhome. (see below)

The dinner was topped off with tequila shooters provided by one of the group.

I've added a map of our route.

Attachments

• CIMG0306 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG0306 (Medium).JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 96
  • CIMG0310 (Medium).JPG
    CIMG0310 (Medium).JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 61
  • MH TEE (Medium) (2).jpg
    MH TEE (Medium) (2).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 82
  • Mexico Map.jpg
    Mexico Map.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 73
Jeff,

Methinks your Motosat dish is going to make you very popular on the trip.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom