The Cousins Mexican Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
wendycoke said:
I'm not a morning person but that sunrise looks like it was worth getting up for.

Wendy:

It certainly was, and I got to bed about 1:00AM! I had a couple of other nice shots of the ship that morning but I couldn't find a place to get both at once. We slept well last night! ;D

Day 21 - Los Barriles, Baja

Another day of dreams in Mexico! 16 of us got up to meet at the break of dawn (11:00AM) to go 4 wheeling into the mountains surrounding Las Barriles. We were driven a mile south of town and met our guide for the day and received a briefing on safety and the route we were using.

We left the highway and climbed into the foothills just west of town and got used to our mounts. After an hour or so we came back down out the hills, passed through town to the north and then followed a large riverbed back west to a waterfall about five miles up the stream. Once there we had lunch and were on our own for an hour or so which we put to good use running up and down the riverbed!

By 3:00PM we headed back into town to the RV Park where we ended the day. For many it was a first but by the end of the day they were holding the hammer down! As you might be able to see we were a mess by the time we got back. The combination of eating dust all day and the spray from the river really made for lots of mud and dirt.

We got together at 5:00PM as usual to swap stories of the day and finshed with dinner outside the RV Park at a very good fresh fish restaurant owned by a gringo.

Tomorrow Sue and several others are taking a boat trip up the coast for lunch, snorkeling, and hopefully whale watching.

Attachments

• Getting Ready (Medium).JPG
    Getting Ready (Medium).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 50
  • On the Trail (Medium).JPG
    On the Trail (Medium).JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 50
  • Break 2 (Medium).JPG
    Break 2 (Medium).JPG
    118 KB · Views: 41
  • Mountain View (Medium).JPG
    Mountain View (Medium).JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Riverbed (Medium).JPG
    Riverbed (Medium).JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Lunch (Medium).JPG
    Lunch (Medium).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 42
  • Spray (Medium).JPG
    Spray (Medium).JPG
    86 KB · Views: 47
  • End of Ride (Medium).JPG
    End of Ride (Medium).JPG
    104 KB · Views: 53
Great pics Jeff, I'm enjoying following your trip and I hope one day to follow your footsteps. How are the trailers doing. Do they have any problem following along on the roads?

Doug

We so appreciate reading your daily log and seeing the photos, Jeff.  I missed a few days due to a (self-inflicted) problem with my designated viewer.  George Van Luchene to the rescue .... for the umptie upmth time .... and we've been enjoying your progress ever since.  Keep them coming! :)  Great job!

And thanks to George for bailing me out again ... and again ... and again!

Margi

baucom1 said:
Great pics Jeff, I'm enjoying following your trip and I hope one day to follow your footsteps. How are the trailers doing. Do they have any problem following along on the roads?

Doug

The trailers had more problems on the train and ferry than m/h's but other than that they are fine.

Day 22 - Bay of Dreams

Today Jeff got to stay home and fuss with an errant refrigerator while Sue and about 20 others climbed aboard two boats and headed north up the coast to the Bay of Dreams and the Giggling Marlin for lunch. Along the way there was plenty of time for swimming, snorkeling, and line dancing on the beach.

For several brave souls lunch led to getting hung for a trophy photo!

After a late afternoon get together some headed for the hot tub that had been treated with too much chemical while more headed for dinner down the street.

In the morning we head down the coast to Cabo San Lucus, or Lands End, for three days.

Attachments

• Bay of Dreams-1 (Medium).JPG
    Bay of Dreams-1 (Medium).JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Boat 1 (Medium).JPG
    Boat 1 (Medium).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Giggling Marlin (Medium).jpg
    Giggling Marlin (Medium).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Lunch-1 (Medium).JPG
    Lunch-1 (Medium).JPG
    98 KB · Views: 35
  • Hanging-1 (Medium).JPG
    Hanging-1 (Medium).JPG
    39.2 KB · Views: 43
  • Hanging  1 (Medium).JPG
    Hanging 1 (Medium).JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Dancing-1 (Medium).JPG
    Dancing-1 (Medium).JPG
    81.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Hot Tub (Medium).JPG
    Hot Tub (Medium).JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 46
  • Dinner (Medium).JPG
    Dinner (Medium).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 40
Jeff and Sue,

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure with us.  I love all the pictures. This trip sounds like such fun. 
Word of warning!!! Watch out for those Waboritas in Cabo Wabo!  Spent a little time there last Dec. on a cruise........OH MY is all I can say....can't remember much else ROFLMBO!

Have fun and be safe!

JoAnn

Day 23 - South to Cabo

As far south as we had come there were 64 more miles to Land's End when we left Los Barriles this morning. The road follwed the scenic coast for a few miles and then cut inland directly to Cabo San Lucas. When you approach Cabo the sights are spectacular! A couple of cruise ships added even more impact to our first views of this large tourist area on the south end of the Baja Pennisula.

Our campground is three miles east of downtown located on a cliff overlooking the convergence of the Sea of Cortes and the Pacific. It has its own open air restaurant that we enjoyed later for dinner.

We quickly unpacked and headed for the center of town to reconnoiter and do a little shopping. We will have more time on Tuesday and Wednesday to see the rest of the city and beaches. We returned for a little late afternoon revelry and then walked over to the restaurant for a sunset dinner as the cruise ships left the harbor.

Miles Driven: 64

Attachments

• Road 1 (Medium).JPG
    Road 1 (Medium).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 35
  • Road 2 (Medium).JPG
    Road 2 (Medium).JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Cruise Ship (Medium).JPG
    Cruise Ship (Medium).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Lands End (Medium).JPG
    Lands End (Medium).JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 34
  • View From RV Park (Medium).JPG
    View From RV Park (Medium).JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Gathering (Medium).JPG
    Gathering (Medium).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Jeff and Sue (Medium).JPG
    Jeff and Sue (Medium).JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Dinner at Sunset (Medium).JPG
    Dinner at Sunset (Medium).JPG
    72.6 KB · Views: 43
Day 24 - A Lazy Day in Cabo

This was our day off for this stop. We met for coffee and doughnuts this morning and had an hour tour of a local glass blowing factory at 10:00AM. After that we were on our own for the day.

We spent the morning shopping and then headed downtown to stroll around and have lunch. Jeff got it in his head that it was a good day for fish and chips but after stopping at six or seven restaurants he gave up on finding them. We did manage to stop for a beer at the Giggling Marlin while the resident rooster strutted around looking for a handout and found fish and chips on the menu at CaboWabo but they had a half hour wait for a table!

We finally settled on Margaritaville and then stopped at Ace Hardware for a light switch, made a quick stop at Costco for veggies and ice and headed back to the RV. With all these brand names you can see why this is certainly the most Americanized place we have been so far on the trip, and the prices reflect it! Cabo San Lucas was developed as a resort area with the help of the Mexican Government in 1976 and the obvious customer targets were American and Canadian tourists.

Part of the group spent the afternoon on the beach and several went out for dinner this evening. We sat around and accomplished things like watching the cruise ship sail past the park as it departed southeast for the mainland. Jeff exported some photos for Pat Maitland our Wagon Master and fiddled with the MotoSat which is working great this far south. The satellite system has become our phone service as well as internet using Skype to call US phones for .021/minute.

We have tomorrow free until 3:30PM when we leave for a sunset dinner cruise so it will be more of the same until then. Jeff has to meet an RV repairman who is coming to look at the refrigerator while Sue and a friend are headed for a spa at one of the hotels downtown.

Attachments

• Glass Blowing Factory (Medium).JPG
    Glass Blowing Factory (Medium).JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Glass Fish (Medium).JPG
    Glass Fish (Medium).JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
  • Cruise Ship (Medium).JPG
    Cruise Ship (Medium).JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Rooster at Giggling Marlin (Medium).JPG
    Rooster at Giggling Marlin (Medium).JPG
    73.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Lunch at Magaritaville (Medium).JPG
    Lunch at Magaritaville (Medium).JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 44
  • Cruise Ship From RV Park 2 (Medium).JPG
    Cruise Ship From RV Park 2 (Medium).JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
Thanks Shayne, some days lend themselves to getting more good photos than others.

I have about 4Gb so far for the trip. Hate to think about going through again and getting rid of the excess!

Jeff,

One thing is for sure...you'll know how to spell margarita by the end of this trip!  ;D  Sounds like you have a good group of travelers.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
Jeff,

One thing is for sure...you'll know how to spell margarita by the end of this trip!  ;D  Sounds like you have a good group of travelers.

ArdraF

I have had enough margaritas to last me a lifetime already! When we are out its either a Pina Colada or cervesa! ;D ;D

You have an awful lot of pictures labeled "dinner" and "lunch" but I haven't seen any actual FOOD in those pictures....where's it all going?

If Jeff got up to take the pictures before eating, there wouldn't be anything left by the time he got back to the table :)

Day 25 - Partying at Land's End

Today was our last in Cabo and it turned into a grand evening! After Sue and Isabel visited a Spa this morning we shopped this afternoon and then loaded up in vans and headed for the waterfront to board a catamaran for a sunset cruise out beyond Land's End into the Pacific for three and a half hours. The boat was large enough for everyone to enjoy themselves and the young crew seemed to enjoy the trip as much as we did.

The rocks are the last point of land on the Baja and Lover's Beach is as far as anyone except the seals get to go on land. It was a beautiful evening and the scenery delightful!

The other catamaran you see is managed by the same company and a race developed past Land's End that lasted almost an hour. The other crew finally conceded and started their engines to keep from falling behind which brought on a strong reaction from our group.

As the sun set on Land's End we were headed back to port and the final dances were under way. It was a very good time and a great end to our visit to Cabo San Lucas. We returned to the RV Park and wound up the night with ice cream sundaes.

Tomorrow we head north, first stop La Paz for two days.

Attachments

• Spa (Medium).JPG
    Spa (Medium).JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Sunset (Medium).JPG
    Sunset (Medium).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 41
  • Dancing (Medium).JPG
    Dancing (Medium).JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Dancing 2 (Medium).JPG
    Dancing 2 (Medium).JPG