The Cousins Mexican Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tom:

As a matter of fact we were presented the group "Care Bear" for the router and spending a few hours getting everyone hooked up and on line. It will ride in our windshield until it gets passed to the next "helping hand" in the group.

I have eight hooked up at the moment and we also have another full timer with a tripod Directway that is carrying several others. On the train we will proably have more. Pat tells me Terry & Betty had people driving up and parking beside their coach using their laptops. It has not seemed to affect performance yet, we were testing our Skype phones with the kids this afternoon and the reception was great.

Can't imagine going without cells for 6 weeks. :p

Watch your FAP :)  I see you updated your location on the datastormusers map but you might want to update your signature here.  Enjoy.

Ned:

Will do. How much can you get away with?

PS:

Thanks but I found the answer on DataStorm Users, 175MB for a 7000.

You won't have a problem if people limit their use to email and web browsing.  Just no streaming video or downloading movies :)

Jeff,

When you take a photo with bright light behind the people you are  taking a picture of, try this.  First, set the camera so FORCED FLASH is on.  In other words make the flash work no matter what.  Second, put your camera on SPOT metering.  Actually I suggest SPOT metering for all you pictures but you decide.

This will make it so the people are not so dark (under exposed).

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Jeff,

When you take a photo with bright light behind the people you are  taking a picture of, try this.  First, set the camera so FORCED FLASH is on.  In other words make the flash work no matter what.  Second, put your camera on SPOT metering.  Actually I suggest SPOT metering for all you pictures but you decide.

This will make it so the people are not so dark (under exposed).

JerryF

Thanks Jerry, in the meantime I touched up the photo (and cleaned up the rest of the post. It got late!) ::)

Joe Bee said:
I can't view Jeff's pictures.  I get a message that I am not authorized to view the site.

Joe,

Apologies for this delayed follow-up. As I mentioned in my earlier message, you have the correct permissions. One thing that might be happening is that, if you've been online for a while, the system logs you out, which makes you a "guest". You won't know what's happened until to attempt to do/view things that guests aren't allowed to do.

The fix - log out and re-log in. Then refresh the page and all should be well.

Let me know what happens, thanks.

Day 2

This morning we pulled out of Loma Paloma RV Park in Presdio for our first travel day. Our Tail Gunner Hex waved us out the drive to set the mood and we proceeded through town and across the border into Ojinaga and headed towards Chihuahua. We were waved through Mexican Customs and through an Army checkpoint a few miles west of Ojinaga. The country is very similar to SW Texas and southern New Mexico but we are slowly climbing and approaching the mountains where we board the train in La Junta.

What was very striking was the friendliness of everyone along our route. From the soldiers manning the checkpoint, children, construction workers, and drivers approaching from the opposite direction, everyone stops to wave as you pass. Considering there are 19 of us that takes a little time but they seem to enjoy waving hello and it really is a friendly welcome to Mexico.

The pace was liesurely and we stopped for lunch before entering the city of Chihuahua, a growing city of 1,000,000 that has benefitted greatly from NAFTA and the trade with the US. We bypassed downtown but the trip through the city took almost two hours.

We are now settled in the Del Fresno Parador RV Park on the west side of Chihuahua. It was very windy and cool this afternoon so a planned Margarita party was postponed and a few travelers hit WalMart and Sam's Club (one day and they needed a Wally fix) while the rest visited and wandered over to a new restaurant in a nearby hotel for dinner.

Tommorrow we leave at 9:00AM for a tour of Chihuahua followed by dinner tomorrow evening in the city.

Miles Driven: 180
Fuel: 0
Expenses:
Tolls:          $21.00
Dinner for 1: $6.50
Groceries: $17.50

Attachments

• Hex (Medium).JPG
    Hex (Medium).JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Border (Medium).JPG
    Border (Medium).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Road (Medium).JPG
    Road (Medium).JPG
    63.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Lunch (Medium).JPG
    Lunch (Medium).JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Chihuahua (Medium).JPG
    Chihuahua (Medium).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 91
Tom:
The problem is on my end.  I am having a software issue.  Thanks for trying.
Joe Bee

Jeff:

You are doing just fine with your reporting.  We should be able to enjoy the trip nicely with the photos.  Have fun, which I'm sure you will.

Shirley and I have arrived home today.

Joe Bee said:
The problem is on my end.

Thanks Joe, that saves me scratching my head further. Hope you get it sorted out. When you know the cause and the fix, could you let us know so we can help others who might have the same problem. Thanks.

Edit: Just read your post in the other topic.

Day 3

Hola!

Today was spent touring Chihuahua, lunch in town, and then returning for dinner and a folk lore show this evening.

After loading up at 9:00AM our first stop this morning was at Quinta Luz, Pancho Villa's home in Chihuahua, now a state museum. Villa was a major figure in the Mexican Revolutionary War who started as a bandit in the mountains of Western Chihuahua State. He also found time for 25 wives and 28 children during his 45 years! The museum is managed by the Mexican Army and includes artifacts including the Dodge Touring Sedan he was assassinated in.

Across the street from Quinta Luz we were fascinated by the pottery demonstration provided by a husband/wife team who showed how they create fine replicas of ancient Indian art dating back 400 years. The hours required to make a vase like the one below is 4 hours for molding plus 6-8 hours of hand painting, and after all that work half of the pieces crack while being baked!

Quinta Gameros was built by a 60 year old suitor of 20 year old Rosa who, after it was built, said "No way, Jose!" A side note: the Chihuahua dog breeds were not started here but were imported Chinese breeds from the US who locals thought looked like local prairie dogs named Chihuahuas, hence the name. Chihuahua breeding farms are located here and it is a city landmark as you can see.

Then it was on to the Governor's Palace to learn more of northern Mexico history including the 300 years of Spanish domination and the Mexican War of Independence. Father Miguel Hildalgo, father of Mexican Independence was executed here when he came north to expand the uprising.

A 6 block stroll down Liberty Street's shops brought us to Plaza de Armas and Chihuahua's Central Cathedral. As you can see the church is massive and the plaza very beautiful. It was also very apparent today how clean the entire city is maintained. Central Chihuahua is very much a modern, vibrant city.

After lunch in a nearby Quinta (Large Home) converted to an eatery we returned to the RV Park for Siesta time. While there I took a couple of pictures of the bus we used today and the one parked nearby that Terry and Betty got to ride in a couple of years ago. I heard the story of riding in this old, leaky bus and wanted them to know things have improved. ;D

This evening was billed as our Welcome to Mexico Dinner and Folkloric Show and we had a great time. The margaritas were cold and delicious, the dinner OK, and a group of University students entertained us with folk dances from all over Mexico. The end to a great day in Northern Mexico!

Tomorrow it is on to Cuauhtemoc and a visit to it's  Mennonite Community.

Miles Driven: 0
Fuel: 0
Expenses:
Misc: 30.00

Attachments

• Tour (Medium).JPG
    Tour (Medium).JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Quinta Luz (Medium).JPG
    Quinta Luz (Medium).JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Dodge (medium).JPG
    Dodge (medium).JPG
    62 KB · Views: 68
  • Pottery Demo (Medium).JPG
    Pottery Demo (Medium).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 66
  • Vase (Medium).JPG
    Vase (Medium).JPG
    73.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Quinta Gameros (Medium).JPG
    Quinta Gameros (Medium).JPG
    99.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Chihuahua Dog (Medium).JPG
    Chihuahua Dog (Medium).JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Plaza de Armas (Medium).JPG
    Plaza de Armas (Medium).JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Lunch (Medium).JPG
    Lunch (Medium).JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 63
  • Dance 1 (Medium).JPG
    Dance 1 (Medium).JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 70
Keep 'em coming Jeff. I'm enjoying the stories and the photos.

Tom said:
Keep 'em coming Jeff. I'm enjoying the stories and the photos.

Tom:

You see them before I get a chance to edit! ;D

Ron, Marsha, and everyone, thanks for the encouragement, we are having a great time and the trip has just strarted!

<While there I took a couple of pictures of the bus we used today and the one parked nearby that Terry and Betty got to ride in a couple of years ago. I heard the story of riding in this old, leaky bus and wanted them to know things have improved. >

Jeff,

You have captured the essence od Chihuahua just as I recalled.  Not only was your bus better, but your weather was better.  We had pouring rain for the city tour.  I'm reading every word and enjoying.  Kepp em coming!

Betty

thanks to Ned's assistance, we finally got tuned into your thread Sue and Jeff!  I don't review all new messages on the forum, so I am often a latecomer to a thread.

I am curious about one thing... if you get the time, could you describe what part of the route is the train used, and what part of the route will the coach be driven?

Smoky

Smoky said:
thanks to Ned's assistance, we finally got tuned into your thread Sue and Jeff!  I don't review all new messages on the forum, so I am often a latecomer to a thread.

I am curious about one thing... if you get the time, could you describe what part of the route is the train used, and what part of the route will the coach be driven?

Smoky

Smoky:

See Day One for the map of the total trip which is slightly over 2200 miles of driving. Here is the map of the rail trip which takes five days and is slightly over 215 miles.

Attachments

• Train map (Large).jpg
    Train map (Large).jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 55
Jeff,

If you stumble across a "Mata Ortiz" pottery and it's reasonably priced, snatch it up. 

Mata Ortiz pottery is pretty expensive in the states.  The more pricey ones are usually black with etching and are made in a little village just outside of Chichuahua.  They are signed on the bottom as most pottery is in Mexico.

I have one that a friend brought back for me.  I paid a 10th of what it is priced here.

Marsha~

Marsha:

Sorry but we left Chihuahua this morning. You are right about the black pottery. A small vase was $65.00 or so and went up to several hundred for the more elaborate pieces.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom