future entry door issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SMR

So when my DW opens the entry door to the MH she lets it ?fling? open ? my concern is how many times this can be opened this way until the internal mechanism goes bad. Is it a problem or am I just be a little too cautious.
thanks

I had a problem like that once and what I did to correct the problem was to drive over to my mother in laws house, go inside with my wife, then once inside I excused myself and went outside started up the rig and left.

Everything was much better after that.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

It sounds like you have a gas strut to hold the door open? More than likely, it will just loosen up the screw holes and they'll have to be re-drilled and reinstalled. There's some stress on the hinges, too. If one of those goes, you'll probably have to replace the entire door assembly (can be as high as $800-$1000).

NickB said:
It sounds like you have a gas strut to hold the door open? More than likely, it will just loosen up the screw holes and they'll have to be re-drilled and reinstalled. There's some stress on the hinges, too. If one of those goes, you'll probably have to replace the entire door assembly (can be as high as $800-$1000).

I wouldn't think it would have a gas strut to hold the door open, but I may be wrong.  I'm assuming it's like mine where the mechanism that keeps the door from opening a full 180 degrees is a metal piece that connects on one end to the door frame and goes inside the door, sliding in and out as the door moves. 

I don't know the answer to the original question, but I do know that I worry a bit about mine as well.  Not so much people flinging it open, but rather catching a big wind gust if I have left it open with just the screen door closed.

jagnweiner said:
I wouldn't think it would have a gas strut to hold the door open, but I may be wrong.  I'm assuming it's like mine where the mechanism that keeps the door from opening a full 180 degrees is a metal piece that connects on one end to the door frame and goes inside the door, sliding in and out as the door moves. 
That's a good point. I guess when OP said "fling open" I just thought of how those things sometimes pull the door out of somebodies hand who wasn't expecting it and startles everybody... Either way, I think it's the same risk of damage.

no strut- everything is inside the door. the door opens 90 degrees - sounds like its tie to upset the DW. LOL

SMR said:
no strut- everything is inside the door. the door opens 90 degrees - sounds like its tie to upset the DW. LOL

True.  I can't recommend the approach the Prospector describes though.  ;)

here's a picture if the mechanism and door - she gets my concern just forgets.... and I never use her poor memory against her. LOL

Attachments

• DSCF3320.JPG
    DSCF3320.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCF3321 (2).JPG
    DSCF3321 (2).JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 56
A little application of a strap might cure the problem!  No, not to the wife but to the door, should be simple to set up a limiting strap to solve the problem.

Would something like this work:  http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=29161466&KPID=17493981&pla=pla_17493981

I think it would leave marks.......unfortunately  the screen door is in the way. I might have to do a strap at the top of the door. I think one about 1/2" wide and not that thick will work. going to tackle it this week and see what I can find.thanks

SMR said:
I think it would leave marks.......unfortunately  the screen door is in the way. I might have to do a strap at the top of the door. I think one about 1/2" wide and not that thick will work. going to tackle it this week and see what I can find.thanks

I forgot about the screen door.

SMR said:
here's a picture if the mechanism and door - she gets my concern just forgets.... and I never use her poor memory against her. LOL

After studying the photos, it is my opinion that this is a device is a limiter designed to prevent the door from hitting the mirror when it is opened so no strap needed, at least until this mechanism breaks.
Wife may need to learn to hold on to the door.

we had a nice chat and she understands, she has been doing a great at controlling the door when she opens it. so far so good.

Here is a link to a door stop mod I posted about 7 years ago. I came up with it then SCVjeff modified it and made it better. It's still relevant after several years.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,20554.msg197776.html#msg197776

Happy Prospector said:
I had a problem like that once and what I did to correct the problem was to drive over to my mother in laws house, go inside with my wife, then once inside I excused myself and went outside started up the rig and left.

Everything was much better after that.

The information is out there, all you have to do is let it in.

I live next to your Mother-In-Law. Let me tell you they partied for a week.  Never saw such a happy bunch of people in my life.

Mine does the same thing and the mounting point on the door jamb is already loose. It seems to me the strut should be regulated to open slower, like the hatch back on a car. You have to hang on to the door until it opens fully or it will swing open too fast and cause stress on the strut's mounting points

thanks for the info- I can't get the pictures to open, I will try when we get a better internet connection.

Back
Top Bottom