How long of a trailer would be your max for this...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3 Ladybugs

Hubby and I are considering getting a trailer. I have been thinking about this for about a year now and one thing that I think I need to think of is the narrowness of our street where we live. The street is about 28 feet wide. Cars typically park on both sides of the road. We have a single car width driveway as do all of our neighbors. Our drive way is about 50 feet long, could be longer if we pushed into our backyard. No one has a pull through driveway (circular or go through to another street)

What is the longest trailer you would get to get it to park at home? I am worried about turn radius. Currently I ALWAYS back up my minivan into the driveway, but a minivan, and a truck and trailer are 2 different animals. Or because of where we live, should I start thinking about Class C's or something for our family?

It ain't gonna be easy to back anything in there if cars are parked on both sides near your driveway. A 28 ft wide street gets narrow in a hurry with 7-8 ft knocked off both sides when a car is in just the wrong place. Otherwise, 28 ft is plenty for even a large trailer.

Note that a truck & trailer is going to fill your 50 ft driveway. Figure 16-20 ft for the truck, plus trailer length. Most rigs are 45-55 ft overall.

There has to be a happy medium of what I should be looking for. Most of the time the cars are only on one side of the street. For the most part, cars don't park in front of our house for instance. Over the years we have had times when no one parked on the road, now there are several people that do.

you can look in to a side shiftier system  like http://www.purplelineusa.com/ for travel trailers  they work great ( i have seen them in action ) and in tight areas not having the extra length of the tow vehicle  and the 0 turning radius of the system  make getting a mid to large trailer  in the driveway a breeze

I would expect cars parked on your side of the street would be less of a problem unless parked really close to your driveway.  Would it be possible to ask folks parked on the other side to move long enough to get backed into your drive?

Most folks in my neighborhood just park at the curb overnight or long enough to load/unload. Our local storage lot is less than $30.00 a month so that is what most here do. With our covenants here you must have RV behind a fence anyway so the driveway is not an option. Can be at the curb for 72 hours at a time and so much easier than trying to get it in the drive.

I live in NJ. I can't get a parking spot for anything for $30 a month. If I could I would not even consider any other options. I have a neighbor that has probably a 28-30 foot class C. It has a couple of slide outs so has to be around that size. They are able to park it in their driveway, BUT that area of the road isn't as crowded as ours. Hmmm...

I'm looking at this way ... you say your street is 28 ft. wide, not withstanding the parked cars because you could ask them to move them for a few minutes and you really only need the clearance on the other side of the street, that is more than 3 times the width of you trailer. You will encounter many, many campground roads that are far less than that plus they have trees, rocks, site marking posts, etc., and you will need to be able to back your trailer into sites there. I would guess it should be doable (not addressing the depth of your final parking spot).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom