Water Heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

albertm1960

Hello, new to forum and to RV's.  I bought a 2007 35 foot Montana 5th wheel.  I read in manual that the water heater runs on both propane and electric.  When I turn heater switch on inside camper the flame lights to heat water.  Which I believe is the propane.  How do I get it to run on the electric so i can save on the propane?  I do notice an on off switch in outside panel where heater is. aybe if i turn that off it runs on electric.  Or maybe it just runs on propane. Wanted to ask before I break something. Thanks

There will be separate on/off switches for propane and electric, and you can use both at the same time if you want faster heating.  The switch on the heater is for electric heating, but most RV makers also install a remote switch inside the RV somewhere. Not necessarily anywhere near the propane switch either.  There will also be a circuit breaker for the 120v power to the electric heater. They all have to be on for electric heater to work.

In a typical set-up, you would leave the circuit breaker on and also the switch on the heater itself, and just use the remote switch as needed. I just don't know if a Montana has a remote or not.

albertm1960 said:
Hello, new to forum and to RV's.  I bought a 2007 35 foot Montana 5th wheel.  I read in manual that the water heater runs on both propane and electric.  When I turn heater switch on inside camper the flame lights to heat water.  Which I believe is the propane.  How do I get it to run on the electric so i can save on the propane?  I do notice an on off switch in outside panel where heater is. aybe if i turn that off it runs on electric.  Or maybe it just runs on propane. Wanted to ask before I break something. Thanks

I have a 2011 Montana and I have a switch in the RV for gas and a switch for electric. What brand and model heater do you have
Before you turn any switches on, you have to make sure the tank is full of water or else you'll burn out the element. If you did burn it out, it's easy to change and not expensive as long as you have access to the backside of the heater if that's where the element is located. Cost around $10.00 at Home Depot.

Thanks.  My Montana is a 2007 3075 rl.  It has a directvent water heater sw10de.  aka Suburban.  I don't see any other switch inside but the fuse which is on and red htr button for propane.  I might have blew the heating element cause I somehow I emptied tank and didnt turn switch off.  (or maybe the water in there is just lower the pressure valve at top? Not sure where 10 gallons of water went, all I did was sanitize and empty water storage and faucets) Also, This element is actually right there though, not other side of tank so easier.

Thanks, Rene, I found the element online but not home depot. What do I look for there, is it in store? thanks

albertm1960 said:
Thanks, Rene, I found the element online but not home depot. What do I look for there, is it in store? thanks

It will be in the same area where the household water heaters are. They'll be a display with all the elements. They also sell the wrench for removing the old one if you don't have a socket that size.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/1500-Watt-120-Volt-High-Watt-Density-Screw-In-Water-Heater-Element-15024/204834407?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204220144-_-204834407-_-N

Here's the wrench:  http://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-5-in-Screw-In-Element-Wrench-09883/206807374?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-204220144-_-206807374-_-N

Thanks, do you think it possible that it isnt working because I have unit hooked up to house and it isnt strong enough.  The electricains are here setting up my temp pole for full service ( I am in Jersey and lifting house, using rv for living while doing) And I know ac doesnt work on house power, so maybe water heater too???

albertm1960 said:
Thanks, do you think it possible that it isnt working because I have unit hooked up to house and it isnt strong enough.  The electricains are here setting up my temp pole for full service ( I am in Jersey and lifting house, using rv for living while doing) And I know ac doesnt work on house power, so maybe water heater too???

Do you know if you have a 30 Amp RV or a 50m Amp RV. The RV plug will have either 3 pins on the plug which is for 30 Amp and 50 Amp plug will have 4 pins.

My '06 Montana has a 110 - 20amp breaker above the toilet for the water heater.  For the 110 electric to work, the switch outside on the water heater has to be OFF.

Hatchee said:
My '06 Montana has a 110 - 20amp breaker above the toilet for the water heater.  For the 110 electric to work, the switch outside on the water heater has to be OFF.

On page 7 of the manual, bottom right hand corner of the page says the switch has to be on.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/633400/Suburban-Sw10d.html?page=7#manual

My 07 Montana heater quit working on electric soon after I toggled the rocker switch beside the water heater. I replaced the switch and turned it on, and promised myself never to touch that switch again. Hopefully yours will be a simple fix. Also you may want to check and see that the ball valve behind your water heater tank,  that allows you to keep winterizing coolant from getting into the water heater tank is turned so that your tank will fill when you are hooked up to water. The easiest way is to remove the ano rod from the tank and hook up to water, if water begins to flow out of the hole, your valve is in the working position.

So heres the end of my saga.  Two things.  It does have to be hooked up to 30 or 50 amp plug( mine is 50) House power not enough like AC.  I didnt thing that little element needed so much power.  Also, my switch has no ON/OFF words, just a circle and verical line.  The previous owner wrote with a Sharpie "ON" next to the circle.  Thats where I had it.  When I got the correct electric I figured it should be ON and it still didnt work.  Then I turned it to the vertical line symbol and it all worked.  So if the line symbol is OFF then I guess it has to be set to off, which is strange to me cause I would have figured it to be set to ON.  Unless the verticle line symbols means ON, but I'm sure that means OFF....anyway, all is good , thanks for the many suggestions.  I seem to have everything running but sure I will be back for something since I'm a newbie... ;

Then in the end the switch is ON even though previous owner wrote ON next to the circle??

albertm1960 said:
So heres the end of my saga.  Two things.  It does have to be hooked up to 30 or 50 amp plug( mine is 50) House power not enough like AC.  I didnt thing that little element needed so much power.  Also, my switch has no ON/OFF words, just a circle and verical line.  The previous owner wrote with a Sharpie "ON" next to the circle.  Thats where I had it.  When I got the correct electric I figured it should be ON and it still didnt work.  Then I turned it to the vertical line symbol and it all worked.  So if the line symbol is OFF then I guess it has to be set to off, which is strange to me cause I would have figured it to be set to ON.  Unless the verticle line symbols means ON, but I'm sure that means OFF....anyway, all is good , thanks for the many suggestions.  I seem to have everything running but sure I will be back for something since I'm a newbie... ;

This is raising a question for me.  As Rene T correctly pointed out, the manual says the switch on the outside of the water heater should be ON.  But my electric element works with the power at the break ON and the exterior switch is OFF....which appears to be the case for albertm1960.  Sooooo, exactly how does the w/h work from a mechanical perspective?  Should the exterior switch be ON for BOTH propane & electric?

ETA: I just looked at my w/h wiring and I don't think it is the original wiring.  I'm the 3rd owner and have no idea what the previous owners modified/replaced

Well if the vertical line means ON as sadixon49 believes then mine is on.  But the previous owner did write on next to the circle so I have no idea. But I would think to turn it off if using propane.

Many have a secondary switch on the inside of the trailer, sometimes located right next to the propane  switch. It is often a standard 120V household style switch (BIG!!) when compared to the usual 12V switches. It did not come from the tank manufacturer but was installed by the trailer/motor home manufacturer. If this is the case, as long as it is left on, it makes little difference as the 120V operation will be controlled from the inside. I leave the outside switch in the ON position 100% of the time, and thus save a lot of trips outside to control the water heater power source as we often use dual heat for faster recovery as mentioned by others above. Just remember to not turn on the electric side if it is possible there is not water in the tank!!!

Back
Top Bottom