Refrigerator - Turns itself off while driving

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bmohnsen

The refrigerator works fine and stays on when connected to AC and gas.

However, whenever driving it turns itself off and the fuse button has to be pushed in again.

Any ideas?

Make and Model of fridge??  Fuse button - a reset-able fuse?? But if this is a fuse that is blowing, the wiring may be grounding due to movement while under way.

It sounds like it is trying to draw too much power from the battery than it can provide. That would cause the circuit to overload and trip the fuse.  Check the connections at the battery for corrosion, loose cables, and the battery itself for adaquate water in the cells, if it is indeed a wet cell battery.  If it is you may need to check the cells of the battery with a hydrometer as well to check for a weak cell.

Pleasureway - 2007 - Class B

Dometic 3 way

There are three fuse switches in a cabinet next to the frig and one is labeled 15 amp refrig

The actually fuses are under the bed

bmohnsen said:
Pleasureway - 2007 - Class B

Dometic 3 way  Model # ??

There are three fuse switches in a cabinet next to the frig and one is labeled 15 amp refrig

The actually fuses are under the bed

resetable fuse - I switch it back on - stays a big ??  and then switches off

Totally confused!! This device sounds more like a DC circuit breaker with a reset ability.

With a 3 way fridge (propane, 12V or 120V) you seem to be trying to run on 12V. while underway. Is this correct?? Have you tried using propane while doing this??  12V heaters require a lot of current and you may be exceeding the limits imposed by this 'breaker' or it no longer functions at the expected amps draw after having been blown a number of times.

Blowing a C/B always results in weakening the breaker and it is bound to show up sooner or later in performance. Since the associated fuse (SIZE??) (under the bed) does not blow, I suspect this reset-able device has become the weak spot. It would be nice to know what current is actually being drawn when in use and before the device pops.

Yes - running on 12 volt while driving - we were told that running on propane while driving is dangerous

...we were told that running on propane while driving is dangerous

A debate that has been around for 30+years. Best I can offer is that state fire marshalls do not prohibit it, nor do federal safety regs.

In any case, 12v operation sucks a lot of 12v power (amps), so odds are the voltage is dropping too low and the fridge controller cuts off. You may not be getting charging power while underway, so the house battery runs down.

Hi there:

Do most people run their fridge on propane while in transit?  I thought it was supposed to be via 12V.  But I can't get my 12V to work (at least while parked with engine off) for my Dometic RM2310.  TIA!

I bought a 98 Dodge American Cruiser and am trying to figure all this out.

@metriRN
It has been a very long discussion on the forum (and others) as to run or not run the propane while underway. for me I came to the conclusion that that great big 50 gallon Gasoline tank I haul around (and empty too quickly) has far less safety features then my fridge and propane tank.
The most I do is turn the fridge to OFF at the fridge so that the auto lighter is not trying to turn it back on when I stop for more gasoline. my biggest issue is remembering to turn it back on :)
I am not sure if the 12volt even tries to come on with my fridge. It has a 12 volt off switch Norcold 680something. I set the fridge to auto (unless fueling) and if the generator is running it works from that. if that is off it runs on propane.

MetriRN said:
Hi there:

Do most people run their fridge on propane while in transit?  I thought it was supposed to be via 12V.  But I can't get my 12V to work (at least while parked with engine off) for my Dometic RM2310.  TIA!

I bought a 98 Dodge American Cruiser and am trying to figure all this out.

Of those that do operate the fridge while in transit, most use propane. Your Model RM2310 does not have the option to cool using 12V as the OP's model does, but remember that it does have a 12V connection but it is used only for the control circuits.

The fridge is usually supplied from the house battery, not the engine battery so it would be normal for it not to have power if the engine is not running unless the house battery is on and connected.
Your RM 2310 manual can be found here: http://www.bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/operating/rm2310.pdf

fridges that run just on 12 volts disappeared years ago.  virtually all rv fridges now run on propane or 120(shore power)
they still need 12 volt power to run on propane, but just for the control circuitry

we always run our fridge on propane while driving, bur never the furnace, water heater or stove

Back
Top Bottom