Ceiling falling down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vectra 04

Anyone else  have this problem? Like some  input.

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Vectra,
There are a ton of friendly and helpful people on here BUT they really need more information to assist you. Like year and model of your motorhome added to your signature. Wood or fabric ceiling? Maybe a pic?

I suspect by his forum name he has a 2004 Vectra, a very close twin of my 2005 Horizon.  But adding the model year, floorplan, and model to your signature is indeed very helpful.

The 'correct' method of dealing with a saggy ceiling is unfortunately a bit dramatic.  I think somebody reported Winnebago's solution was to pull the roof off.  A less dramatic solution but still a bunch of work is to strip the ceiling and apply new material.  The easy but clunky fix is to use wood furring strips across the width of the ceiling or some kind of rosette screwed into the headliner every few inches to hold up the material.

Eventually the adhesive and or foam backing will probably completely fail at some point in time and then you have address the problem all over again.

Search the Internet for marine upholstery, they have a very similar challenge as we do with RVs. Here's one good page/video about dealing with a headliner.

the padding on the ceiling wasn't the problem the wood its self was separating from the foam roof. no moisture just bad glue.  Used some glue that was compatible with foam , all is well . Others with a older coach may face this problem , mine is a 04 . I was at Gaffney for service and guy with a Winnebago about the same year had all the padded ceiling fall ,the wood did stay up.    Thanks for the replies, sorry didn't get back sooner.

I've had this since we bought it.  I may try to remove it and see how to re-secure it.  On mine, I don't think it is a glue issue.

Attachments

• 20180626_152300-1.jpg
    20180626_152300-1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 75
yep. - I have that problem.  It is slowly getting worse.  I can reach my hand up and now understand it is the foam failing for me.  Not sure what I am going to do yet.

Vectra 04 said:
the padding on the ceiling wasn't the problem the wood its self was separating from the foam roof. no moisture just bad glue.  Used some glue that was compatible with foam , all is well . Others with a older coach may face this problem , mine is a 04 . I was at Gaffney for service and guy with a Winnebago about the same year had all the padded ceiling fall ,the wood did stay up.    Thanks for the replies, sorry didn't get back sooner.

Vectra, So what was the procedure used to rebond the wood to the foam ceiling? We have the same problem on our 2005 journey with the second panel from the front?  Vinyl is still bonded to the wood but wood is loose from the foam ceiling.  Thanks, randy

edit by staff - fixed quote block

Well Vectra04 never responded (and doesn't have PM) on how 'they re-reglued the wood to the foam roof core' just that they used a foam compatible glue.  We have the same issue...vinyl/foam still attached to the luan but luan on one panel is no longer fully attached to the foam roof.  Anyone else ever have the same issue and how did you 're-glue the Liam to the foam roof core? Thank, Randy

Would this work for you. 
https://www.sailrite.com/NG633-Foam-Lock-Spray-Adhesive-12oz

Thanks, I already have access to foam compatible glue.  The real question is how to get the adhesive on TOP of the luan panel to re-bond the luan to the foam roof?  Our vinyl headliner is still in perfect shape and is still bonded to the luan, it is just that the luan panel itself has loosened from the roof.  Thanks, randy

How to make a signature for your RV so we can serve you better.

1. Click "Profile" button towards the top of the screen.

2. Scroll down a ways and select "Modify Profile"

3. Select Forum Profile

4. Fill it out and click on "Change profile".

My profile signature is filled out, not sure why it doesn't show up.  Also, on my first reply to vectra04 I stated that we had the same problem on our 2005 journey. Thanks

It takes a while for a signature change to show up. Some forum software will only display changes from the change forward, some will change all posts from day one.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom