New Holiday Rambler - nothing but problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OC Metal Man

Picked up our 36' 2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer a week ago. In summary, I am in disbelief about how absolutely horrible the quality is in the coach. I have never purchased something in my 56 years that even comes to close to this MH. So say we are disappointed is an understatement!!!

From the minor (12v cigarette outlets don't work and Bluetooth and dvr from stereo don't work) to the major-chassis A/C, rear roof A/C, and refer all not working (and a dozen other issues in-between) on our first trip has me disgusted at the build quality (and how our dealer has responded). We got to drive 5 hours yesterday returning to CA from AZ in 110 degree heat with only the 1 roof A/C unit working. It barely kept the interior below 100 degrees.

Purchased from Giant RV in Montclair, CA. First call to sales guy. Couldn't even get a sorry out of him. Had to repeatedly ask for Service mgr and GM names and emails. Emailed both of me with NO response. Finally got a service writers attention. Took it in today and his response to my comment that I made a mistake buying this brand was that all new RV's have these issues.  Made in the USA-what a joke. Took it in today and am really hoping they get the major stuff fixed in the next 2 weeks as we're heading to Zion, Grand Canyon, and Moab in early July.  Can't do that withou A/C!!!  Thank god my 60 year old airplane was built with a lot more pride and quality than this crap being turned out these days. That's all the venting for now.  Just beware if you're looking at a HR!!!

OC Metal Man said:
Picked up our 36' 2016 Holiday Rambler Vacationer a week ago. In summary, I am in disbelief about how absolutely horrible the quality is in the coach. I have never purchased something in my 56 years that even comes to close to this MH. So say we are disappointed is an understatement!!!

From the minor (12v cigarette outlets don't work and Bluetooth and dvr from stereo don't work) to the major-chassis A/C, rear roof A/C, and refer all not working (and a dozen other issues in-between) on our first trip has me disgusted at the build quality (and how our dealer has responded). We got to drive 5 hours yesterday returning to CA from AZ in 110 degree heat with only the 1 roof A/C unit working. It barely kept the interior below 100 degrees.

Purchased from Giant RV in Montclair, CA. First call to sales guy. Couldn't even get a sorry out of him. Had to repeatedly ask for Service mgr and GM names and emails. Emailed both of me with NO response. Finally got a service writers attention. Took it in today and his response to my comment that I made a mistake buying this brand was that all new RV's have these issues.  Made in the USA-what a joke. Took it in today and am really hoping they get the major stuff fixed in the next 2 weeks as we're heading to Zion, Grand Canyon, and Moab in early July.  Can't do that withou A/C!!!  Thank god my 60 year old airplane was built with a lot more pride and quality than this crap being turned out these days. That's all the venting for now.  Just beware if you're looking at a HR!!!

You must be so disappointed. Sorry you've had a bad experience. Our trailer heating vent in the living area is not blowing out air. The dealer sevice guys have added a vent which is closer to furnace so we get air but it's at the opposite side from main living area. It's not the best result. The manufacturer have said it's not their issue! We were gobsmacked at this attitude - we are from Scotland and always thought US quality would be exceptional but we have been disappointed at a few things we have bought. Overall we are happy with trailer but you'd think a fundamental thing like the heating not working correctly would be jumped on and sorted.  Hope you get all of your issues resolved and you enjoy the parks. They are fantastic choices!

Sorry to hear all the problems you are having with your new MH. 

When we purchased ours MH we stayed at the dealership for three days before we would drive it off the lot (when the warrantee period began).  We ran every system including the washer and dryer.  Every little item that was not at 100% was fixed before we would accept it.

If a dealer will not allow this, I would find another dealer.  Caveat emptor!

Good luck with getting your repairs done.  Safe travels.

Sad story!  I know it's a imposition, but if you can, take the coach to the Rev Group factory service center in Alvarado, TX.  They know how to fix the coaches and will get you back in shape much faster than jerking around with that dealer. In my opinion, in the long run you will be better off spending the time to do that.

http://revrvgroup.com/service/fsc.asp

We owned a 1999 HR Vacationer which was a no problems rig. Having seen ours, a friend bough a brand new virtually identical unit several years later, it was nothing BUT problems. The final straw was when crappy chipboard drawer in the bedroom just fell apart when being opened. The drawer was fixed, the MH sold and they will never buy HR again. Sad for what was for years a top notch motorhome brand.

Tis a tale of woe.. and sorry you're having to deal with it.  We just bought our first RV (of any kind... have only tent camping experience and that was decades ago).  We bought used and have 'taken delivery' three times now due to multiple problems that I assumed would've been discovered and corrected during PDI, but weren't.  Thankfully our dealership is doing their best to give us confidence in both them and the coach (at least imo).  We've had to cancel and change reservations as a a result, but we built in one extra week and so had the flexibility to minimize the impact.
I've learned that there are manufacturers for:
Chassis
Coach
All components in the coach (genny, appliances, HVAC, electric power management systems, water management pieces, etc... I could go on and on.
Point being, the coach manufacturer creates these things using a hodgepodge of components from a variety of manufacturers. (Unfortunately, I suspect, based on lowest bidder).  And it's compounded by the fact that the coach manufacturer will change up components manufacturers they use between model years, for sure, but even within model years.
Hard to blame the dealer for not knowing or being able to keep up.  (Though is EASY to blame the dealer for not taking interest in helping you navigate the issues you're having.).
My dealer is willing to help, but in my short time as an owner, I've come to realize: if I want this to work best, I need to learn as much as possible about every component i have installed in my coach.
Good luck and again, sorry for your experience.

I have never bought a MH new or used, will soon, but OC Metal Man's experience based on several months reading this and other forums, seems more common than not.

I know a little about boats and when a person buys a new boat many times he has a surveyor (boat inspector) go over the entire boat to make sure it is in operative condition. Why not with a MH??

timjet said:
I have never bought a MH new or used, will soon, but OC Metal Man's experience based on several months reading this and other forums, seems more common than not.

I know a little about boats and when a person buys a new boat many times he has a surveyor (boat inspector) go over the entire boat to make sure it is in operative condition. Why not with a MH??

Thats a really smart idea even for fairly experienced RV'ers. As a buyer you can get so hung up on the price, details, financing, options, delivery times and other things, that you miss the problems with everything else on your mind. An independent, no dog in the fight, inspector that really knows RV's would be worth its weight in problem avoidance. Now if ONLY I can find such a person when I might buy another one.  I bet there are some out there, maybe even on here?  Sounds like a business opportunity for someone really skilled in RV repair.

A boat survey is often an insurance requirement, whereas no such requirement exists with RV insurance.

Tom said:
A boat survey is often an insurance requirement, whereas no such requirement exists with RV insurance.

I understand and appreciate the differences.

If the RV has problems, it gets stuck on the side of the road. A tow truck can find it easily.

If a boat has problems...  it can be difficult to get to. ;)

Tom said:

Yes a survey many times is an insurance requirement an almost always a precondition to obtain financing. We paid cash for our boat and of course had a survey done. Most people do when you are buying a boat with many systems (like a coach). Boat problems gone undetected at purchase can and most times do cost much more to fix than a coach.

Aye Tim, right on all counts. We've purchased a number of boats over the years.

I'm sorry to hear about all of your problems, I purchased a 2015 36 DBT holiday rambler and it has been a no problem unit, the fit and finish is great and everything has worked from day 1. I do however take it to the Decatur factory for service when needed, they do great work, it sounds like it may be a worth while trip for you.
Good luck on getting things straightened out.
Mrfix

Take it in to the factory like Gary mentioned, or just park it in front of the dealer where you bought it with a great big sign on the side saying: this is a real lemon and you bought it here at this dealer. That would get some attention for you in a hurray I bet.

Sorry to hear about this.

Be sure to give Giant RV in Montclair, CA a very low one star rating on Google. The more they get, the more business they will lose. A lot of people actually read Google reviews before they visit/buy from a place. Here's the link of the search. You need to be logged into your Google account to write a review.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&as_q=Giant+RV+in+Montclair%2C+CA.&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=

:mad:. My wife and I bought a 2016 HR Navigator XE last April, 2016.  I have to agree with Mr. Fix.  REV Group puts out mostly crappy MH's.  We have had a major breakdown every trip we have taken.  Here is the list:

1. First trip was shakedown weekend cruise.  The King sized bed on back slide started clunking and grinding.  Back to dealer where they found misalignment of rail system.

2.Second trip the vacu flush toilets quit working....talk about smelly.  I get back to dealer and am told it was my fault when clearly we followed the instructions of waiting for green light before flushing.  Found a broken seal.

3.  Third trip 3 1/2 week tour from MI to Yellowstone.  First day out the Whirlpool refrigerator quit.  Since we were on the road I tried to arrange through warranty work at REV Group to have tech come out when in Rapid City SD.  Lost all food.  Had to buy Yeti to finish the trip.  Whirlpool in Rapid City refused to come out...they decided they no longer serviced RV's.  Was told nothing else they could do unless we returned to dealer.  Dealer had for 6 weeks to repair that and the bed that broke again.  Bed rails were out of alignment so bad the slide would not come in.  They repaired it.....LOL.

4.  Took for a short weekend and bed broke again.....finally went to another General RV dealer in Wixom and the bed was completely rebuilt from base up.....

5.  Left on next long trip this year and currently sitting in Richmond VA where the rear slide will not extend, bed is clunking.....

Now that is just the major stuff.....we have had plumbing problems as well......shower leaking all over coach floor, had a river running through it....loose fittings on shower manifold...not even finger tight.  Washer leaking due to finger tight connections.....kitchen sink leaking all over floor due to, yep you guessed it....less than finger tight fittings....

I am a retired attorney and have put REV group on notice that my coach is a lemon...lemon laws do not cover RVs in MI so I am contemplating rescinding my contract...they take the unit back and I get all my money back....

So you are not alone.  And keep complaining....oh, and look for a used Newmar......

REV Group is terrible.  I even had the VP of customer service on speed dial but Larry just can't seem to fix the problems with this unit.

Sorry to hear about all your troubles. I guess this might explain why there is a high number of holiday ramblers for sale on the used market.

Papa Wiz said:
:mad:. My wife and I bought a 2016 HR Navigator XE last April, 2016.  I have to agree with Mr. Fix.  REV Group puts out mostly crappy MH's.  We have had a major breakdown every trip we have taken.  Here is the list:

1. First trip was shakedown weekend cruise.  The King sized bed on back slide started clunking and grinding.  Back to dealer where they found misalignment of rail system.

2.Second trip the vacu flush toilets quit working....talk about smelly.  I get back to dealer and am told it was my fault when clearly we followed the instructions of waiting for green light before flushing.  Found a broken seal.

3.  Third trip 3 1/2 week tour from MI to Yellowstone.  First day out the Whirlpool refrigerator quit.  Since we were on the road I tried to arrange through warranty work at REV Group to have tech come out when in Rapid City SD.  Lost all food.  Had to buy Yeti to finish the trip.  Whirlpool in Rapid City refused to come out...they decided they no longer serviced RV's.  Was told nothing else they could do unless we returned to dealer.  Dealer had for 6 weeks to repair that and the bed that broke again.  Bed rails were out of alignment so bad the slide would not come in.  They repaired it.....LOL.

4.  Took for a short weekend and bed broke again.....finally went to another General RV dealer in Wixom and the bed was completely rebuilt from base up.....

5.  Left on next long trip this year and currently sitting in Richmond VA where the rear slide will not extend, bed is clunking.....

Now that is just the major stuff.....we have had plumbing problems as well......shower leaking all over coach floor, had a river running through it....loose fittings on shower manifold...not even finger tight.  Washer leaking due to finger tight connections.....kitchen sink leaking all over floor due to, yep you guessed it....less than finger tight fittings....

I am a retired attorney and have put REV group on notice that my coach is a lemon...lemon laws do not cover RVs in MI so I am contemplating rescinding my contract...they take the unit back and I get all my money back....

So you are not alone.  And keep complaining....oh, and look for a used Newmar......

REV Group is terrible.  I even had the VP of customer service on speed dial but Larry just can't seem to fix the problems with this unit.
we have a 2017 Navigator xe and we have the exact same bed slide problems... Dealer would not fix it so my husband took it apart and fixed the alliegment but after one try it was back to not working again we finally took out the king size mattress and replaced it with a queen.. You would think the manufacturer would realize the king was just too wide to fit! We also had water problems with our washer (flooded floor)Our checklist was a mile long at least 15 things that didn't work on the unit. I have to say for us the biggest problem was the dealer... ( General RV) all they  care about is getting your money once you sign your name your on your own! Worst dealer ever! Guess it's a lesson learned.

I am a newbie and getting ready to move up to a Class A.  Guess I will take HR off my list.

Sorry to hear of all the problems.

Skip the dealer and call the factory customer service.  My experience with my dealer was horrible, so I took my brand new motorhome to the factory for repairs.  They not only fixed stuff without complaining, they actually fixed it so it worked!!!  (Amazing concept.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom