Brits need help with those "place names"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
edjunior said:
And then we have Texas, the Lone Star State, the United State of Texas, the only state that can have all four climates going at once!  Snow up north in Amarillo, jungle heat and monsoons in the south, dry desert heat in El Paso, and spring or autumn type weather in the East Texas piney woods.  The only state that takes two days to drive across, unless you're one of those masochistic marathon drivers.  Man I love this state!

Ed,

If you drive from Miami to Pensacola it will take 3 days. It's 400 miles from Miami to Jacksonville. Now if you start at Key West.......

Ah shoor hope them thar Britfolks are reedin the ansers to thar questun.

LaTeX:

That happened way back when Alaska got annexed!    ;D

I still remembered when they anounced that on the news, the very first thing all the reporters said was that, "Now the Texans no longer have anything to brag about."  LOL!

RV Roamer said:
>>The only state that takes two days to drive across, unless you're one of those masochistic marathon drivers.? Man I love this state!<<

Only state?? Try driving across Alaska.? There isn't even a road that goes all the way across!? ?;)

Not so!  There are roads that go across -- at least south to north.  Homer to Anchorage on the Sterling Hwy.  Anchorage to Fairbanks on the Richardson Hwy.  Fairbanks to Livengood on the Elliot Hwy.  Livengood to Prudhoe Bay on the Dalton Hwy.  Admittedly that last highway is a 2-1/2 day dirt-road bear of a highway but there it is, from the Pacific to the Arctic Oceans.  In a car.  In the summer.

RV Roamer said:
Some regions, however, are cultural as well as geographic. "Deep South" is one of those, encompassing an area whose predominant culture was established early in US history and generally encompassing Georgia, North & South Carolina, Mississippi, & Alabama. Some people would include Arkansas, Tennesee and Virginia in that area too. 

Gary, 

Glad to see that a transplanted yankee floridian understands that Florida is not part of the South! :)

Hi Tom

YEP - we're still here.

Im starting to get worried that understanding the place names wont be as much of a problem as understanding the way the Americans have messed around with our fine language.  ;D ;D

Whats a TIRE ?
How about LITER ?

Surely they should be TYRE and LITRE,

Oh God, I just realised that Im "learning American" already.........I should have started with Yes, not YEP (where did that come from).

UK-RV said:
YEP - we're still here.

Spoken like a true Yankee doodle RVer.

.... understanding the way the Americans have messed around with our fine language.

LOL just don't say that when you're here. Your translations were correct, and there are plenty of other examples in everyday use. Many words have an entirely different meaning, e.g. if you happen to be a smoker, don't do as some of our UK visitors do when they get off the plane in San Francisco saying "I need a fag" - you might not get what you expect. Geography also takes on a new meaning when someone asks if the UK is a part of England.

OTOH if you put a pebble in your mouth and speak "college English", most folks won't understand a word you say anyway. You can always tell when that happens - they go very quiet, smile, and have that deer-in-the-headlights look in their eyes.

Okay, well, I'll admit, it's not the only state, but really, Alaska.  Once you get to Anchorage or Fairbanks, there's not much more except virgin territory.  I spent 3 years in Fairbanks while in the Air Force, and truly love it.  We drove down from Fairbanks to Omaha, and was the best thing I think I ever did.  An absolutely gorgeous drive.  Highly recommended.  But as someone said, normal driving.  And normal states.  And yes, California north to south would be a two dayer, but that's hardly a normal state either.  And, well, I better shut up before I get myself in trouble.  Oh, but I do love sparking a little controversy!  (All in fun  ;D ;D

Glad to see that a transplanted yankee floridian understands that Florida is not part of the South!

You got that right, Joel.  Probably some bits of northern Florida should be considered "Deep South" but certainly not the state as a whole!  It's in the Southeast, but not the "Deep South".  Got to be confusing for our UK friends.

On the other hand, the UK has plenty of regional names too. The regions are smaller, sometimes county size, but just as distinct.

Once you get to Anchorage or Fairbanks, there's not much more except virgin territory.

You must be a big city boy, edjunior.  ;) ;)  There's lots more to AK than just Anchorage & Fairbanks. You can readily reach Soldatna, Homer, Valdez, Tok, Haines, and  & Skagway by car or RV. Even little Chicken in the northeast and tiny Hyder in the southern panhandle. I've got to admit, though, the roads to/through those towns still leave a lot of inaccessible  virgin territory  [more than all of Texas!].  ;D

RV Roamer said:
On the other hand, the UK has plenty of regional names too. The regions are smaller, sometimes county size, but just as distinct.

LOL a few Gary, like the Midlands, the West Country, and the Smoke.

You must be a big city boy, edjunior.? ?;) ;)?

Gary,

Unfortunately, I am city transplanted.  Which I'm hoping to rectify with this new RV.  However, back to the Alaska thing, it's rough riding just about anywhere except those hotspots.  But for anyone willing, it's a trip I highly recommend taking, even if only to Anchorage/Fairbanks.  And a must see of course is Mt. McKinley.  I can't speak for the road condition there anymore, it's been too long since I've been there, but what was one summer, may not be the same the following summer.  Winters are real bad on the Alaskan roads.  And I did plenty of camping/fishing during my three years there, and loved all of it.  I just hated the cold winters.  That's why I live in the south now!  I'll visit up that way in the summer!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom