Wave Mapper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve CDN

When using Nero Wave Editor to record analog music, the choice for an input device is either my sound card (Sound Blaster) or Wave Mapper.  What is Wave Mapper, and what is the advantage or disadvantage of using one or the other as the input device?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Nero gives you a choice of every sound input device you have..... What is a wave mapper

This question might better be asked in the proper community.compuserve.com forum... And to be totally honest I'm not sure which one that is so start with pchardware

However, your computer's sound system includes many options... one is MIDI (or rather what Windows calls Midi)  MIDI, the Real MIDI, is Musical Insturment Digital Interface... Computer MIDI is simular, but not exactly, the same tihng.

A MIDI file consists of groups of 2, 3 or 4 numbers,  1: Note, 2: Duration, 3: Veloicty, 4: Channel (Voice)

Note corrosponds to a key on a keyboard synth, Duration, is how long to sound the note, Velocity is how fast you press said virtual key, and channel, (voice) is which of a dozen or so channels you wish to send it down.  There are also groupings to command the device at the other end to change voices, increase/decrease volume and slur or bend a note (Bending refers to pulling it up or down) and to controll other features of the music.

The Wave Mapper is, in this case, the digital synth.  It takes all the MIDI requests and translates them from MIDI numbers to WAVE signals which are then sent on to the sound card

For the record, 20 years ago I wrote some MIDI software for a different computer.... What I remember about it today is more or less in the large paragraph above

John,

When I select either option as the input device, I cannot tell the difference in the recorded product and both appear to work the same allowing my tape deck to send the analog music to Nero Wave Editor to record.

So it's not clear to me what is the difference between selecting the Sound Blaster or Wave Mapper as the input device. 

Back
Top Bottom