Solar Panel Wiring Connectors:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DesertMax

Ok I know we all use MC4 connectors but what are the alternatives?
I would like to try something different.  Is there anything outside
of the rulebook that says we can not take 3 wires (branch connector yes I know)
and solder them in a very professional manner and then use heat shrink waterproof
insulation on the joint and pin the panel over the entire thing???

Is there a "rulebook" for that sort of thing? Seems to me there are any number of viable connectors, including the good old solder joint you described. Any of them, properly done, will suffice. And any of them poorly done will not.

Hey hi Gary, well..  I guess in passing I have been asking so many technical questions on several RV sites and
in most cases, the responses are terse and somewhat strict sounding..  "If you do not use MC4's, your camper will blow up!"

MC4 connectors were the result of a 2008 rule to create solar panel connectors that were "positive locking", and able to be plugged together by hand but only separated with a tool. They're sealed with O-rings and generally pretty durable, but you could cut them off and install whatever works.

Kev 

Actually I think they are the only way to go..  I just have a schedule and it seems that not all the RV supply stores
stock them..  this means time consuming on line ordering and I just can't do it that way right now..
As a retired contractor I always find ways to make things work...  one of the finest things is to meet a challenge
no matter how small...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom