Mods/Upgrades made to my Winnie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Old Grape

I did not notice a thread for Mods/Renovations so hopefully it is ok for me to start one. So as time passes with RV ownership I find it really is like a house, projects never end. ;) We have barely owned our 06 Tour for two years and the wife's list has not gotten any smaller. So far we have had the flooring replaced with laminate, both dash and outside radios replaced, 2 of the 3 TVs replaced with LCD/LED TVs, replace cloth couch with leather one, and found a remnant piece of Corian for the table that matched the counter top exactly. I installed a WIFI antenna on my TV antenna and had the front end, front cap, and the side gutter areas repainted due to the clear coat peeling off. I just finished installing a LED flat rope light on slide awning cover on the passenger side. Snaked the wires through the Microwave vent opening. Also slowly replacing all of my interior and porch lights with LEDs. The next items on the list are replacing the Norcold with a residential refrigerator (this week) and two new captain's chairs for the front. We'll be doing that in 2 or 3 weeks.

We also want to re-upholster the window trim boxes. I can't remember what they are called :). Has anyone done this themselves? How hard are those boxes to remove and reinstall?

Attachments

• new Couch.jpg
    new Couch.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 125
  • New Flooring.jpg
    New Flooring.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 124
Yep, looks nice.
BTW- there is a section for remodeling threads:

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/board,79.0.html

Thanks all. Originally saw the general remodel thread but was a little unsure if it would fall in better in the Winnie section. Mods can get to be addictive. :) The fridge and new chairs should be it for a while. I want to actually use and enjoy the coach for a while. Would love to hit the lotto and buy a new coach but reality dictates and our 06 Tour is still a great coach. The new stuff makes it feel new to us. :)

I am really amazed at how bright the LED rope light I installed is. Here's a picture at night.

Attachments

• IMG_3378A.JPG
    IMG_3378A.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 45
Well the new residential Fridge is in. I had it done at RV Services in Ashland, VA. They did a great job. They were able to take the old one out and move the new one in though the passenger side window over the couch. They had to trim the fridge space opening frame just a small bit. They widened the front frame by about an inch and the height by about 3 - 4 inches. I will add a piece of quarter round trip on the right side but overall it's a done deal. Wife loves it. Definitely won't have any problem keeping the beer and soda cold. :)

Attachments

• Old Coming Out.JPG
    Old Coming Out.JPG
    85.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Old One Out.JPG
    Old One Out.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 48
  • View from sidewall Vent.JPG
    View from sidewall Vent.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Empty Fridge Space.JPG
    Empty Fridge Space.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 46
  • New Fridge Braced and finished.JPG
    New Fridge Braced and finished.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 55
Thanks. Wife loves having a decent size fridge now. She always cooks the food before our trips and then we just nuke it. Before we always had 2 or 3 ice chests full of food iced down due to the Norcold taking so long to get cold. That problem is resolved now. :)

That looks awesome Galen. We have our first residential refer now and I would never go back to a gasser. One suggestion though, you will need to come up with an idea to keep the refer doors closed on the road. Some go the easy route with a bungee or velcro strap, others devise a latch of some kind.  Our Maytag has a cabinet latch on the inside of each door at the top. 

Also give some thought to keeping the stuff in the refer from flying around during transit. The DW learned a painful lesson early on when opening the door after being on a particularly bumpy road. Her clever solution was to source a variety of plastic bins she bought on Amazon. They are designed for refer's and work perfectly at keeping stuff on the shelf's. 

We mostly run the generator while driving for the A/C so fridge will run on that mostly when not plugged into shore power. It can run on the inverter but mine is a modified sine inverter son not good for very long they say. I will eventually convert over to a pure sine inverter.

We are using a luggage strap around the door handles to ensure it stays closed while driving. We also have the spring loaded shelf guards to keep things in place inside the fridge.

SargeW : Can you provide a link to the plastic bins your wife bought on Amazon?

Sure Galen, here is an example. There are various sizes available.

www.amazon.com/InterDesign-Kitchen-10-Inch-6-Inch-3-Inch/dp/B00CS8DSMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467402413&sr=8-1&keywords=interdesign+kitchen+bin

Howdy All. So just finished the replacement of our Sharp microwave. It had intermittent difficulties working and all the metal trim fell off. Replaced it with a Whirlpool microwave. The one thing I found out during this evolution was that the Sharp's door actually did not go from side to side. It actually had a fixed section on the left side of about 2 inches. That enabled the door to open with out hitting the left side cabinet panel. All the new ones I looked at in Lowes and HD and online all had full width doors. So I had to extend the bracing outward about 2 or 3 inches. Also the standard rear mounting panel is extremely flimsy. I still need to install the vent from the back to the RV skin. I can do that from the outside. Have to extend that about the same as the bracing. I added a stiffener angle behind it. I'm pretty comfortable with it staying in place as we go down the road the way I have it braced but definitely a lesson learned about trying to look a little harder to find a better match for what is being replaced. I'll post a couple pics tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom