Towing combination - is this safe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glennrose

Hello, My husband and I have a Highlander 2013 V6 3.5L with towing package and are considering buying a 1 axle Forest River Shamrock 17 with bathroom, kitchen, two pop out queen beds. GVWR 3860 (listed on label on left front). Highlander vehicle manual says it can tow up to 5000 #.  Will this be a safe workable combination? Thanks

I may not be the best person to answer, but I'll try, since no one else has.  I think you need at least a 10% margin over GVWR, and you have that.  If you will be towing in the mountainous West, you need at least another 10%, and 20% would be better.  I would say that puts you just at your tow capacity, so it is doable.  That said, we just got back from towing a trailer of that weight over steep, twisty roads between the CA Mendocino coast and the Central Valley with a V8 4Runner, 7000# capacity, and we were in 3rd quite a bit, 2nd once.  That was at reasonably low altitudes.  It may depend on how often you plan to go and where (and how patient you are). 

One other suggestion is to repost your question with a title that indicates what your question is.  You might get some better answers, especially from someone who has towed with a similar vehicle.

Yes, at those weights it is probably ok, as long as the Highlander doesn't have too many passengers onboard. Any weight in addition to a 154 lb driver subtracts from the tow rating for a 2013 model.

But are you sure about that trailer weight? The Shamrock specs I see list an unladen weight (UL) of 3149 and a max loaded weight of 4350. That would be getting up to the max limits.
http://www.forestriverinc.com/product-details.aspx?LineID=179&Image=5388

Might that have been a gAwr rather than gVwr?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom