2000 Fleetwood Discovery alarm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cesar

Recently purchased a 37' Fleetwood Discovery with Cummins pusher diesel on Freightliner chassis.  The coach is in like new condition.  However, almost right away we started getting a tone alarm (not a buzzer) coming from under the dash while going down the road.  It is the same alarm you get when you put the transmission in drive while the parking brake is on.  It now stays on all the time once it starts which may be pulling out of the drive away or 5 miles down the road.  There are no warning lights on in the dash, just the alarm.  Air pressure gauges read good pressure.  I have been reading about the VDC as a potential cause.  Can anyone confirm whether or not that it is the likely problem? Also checked leveling jack fluid level and sensors.  All are working fine.  As a short term measure, can the alarm be unplugged. 

Thanks in advance for the help. 

Difficult to say until the cause of the alarm can be pinpointed.  The VDC could maybe be giving a false report, but more likely it is some sensor that is malfunctioning, e.g. not sensing that the park brake is off or the jacks up. For example, a Power Gear jack system can function fine but still gives a "jacks down" warning is the fluid in the pump reservoir is a bit low.

Is this possibly the low air pressure warning signal?  That's the warning that comes on when you first start up, until air pressure exceeds about 65 psi. Does that warning ever stop? If not, you may have a problem at the air pressure sensor (even though the gauge reads OK).

You can always unplug an alarm, but [in my opinion] it's fool-hardy to do so if you don't have a clue as to what the alarm is trying to tell you. If you turn off a fire alarm, does the fire danger go away? You shouldn't just assume it's a false alarm.

Thanks Gary.  I found the alarm today.  I actually took it to a diesel mechanic that works on Freightliners. It is the tone alarm that comes on if the parking brake is on when you put the transmission in gear.  The mechanic said the system thinks the parking brake is on while going down the road.  Once it comes on, it tends to stay on.  I am disabling the alarm until I return from an upcoming trip.  Thanks for the advise.

I'm not surprised - that is a fairly common fault. As I recall, the sensor is on the big yellow Park Brake button assembly and is driven by air pressure there.

I had that same issue, took it into freight liner and they disconnected the chime, 396.00 later, It is a parking brake chime...if that helps

barbe12 said:
I had that same issue, took it into freight liner and they disconnected the chime, 396.00 later, It is a parking brake chime...if that helps

This is a Very old post but the OP was here on the forum this past March so they may see your posting.
If it helps, they too disconnected the alarm.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom