Cleaning Pop-outs on Hybrid Camper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidibb

Hello,

We have a Sportsmen 20 RBT Hybrid camper (2015) and I'm never sure where to put my message -- here or in the travel trailer board. Since this is about cleaning the vinyl on the pop-outs, I decided to put this one here :)

I just gave our baby a major cleaning and it looks awesome. I used a mixture of myers lemon dishsoap and a capful of Mr. Clean mixed with a few gallons of water. This worked AWESOME actually. Our canvas cleaned pretty easy with very little elbow grease.

I did do some research on what to use prior to washing and most posts said dish soap. I did that last year with some dawn and it didn't do the trick... the dirt on the canvas was very stubborn and it didn't really look like I'd cleaned it at all.

So, this combination of Myers Lemon soap with Mr. Clean seemed to do the trick and it seems mild enough to not bother the water-proofing, but wondering a couple things:

Does anyone has experience with washing the canvas and then having to waterproof again? I am a tiny bit concerned about using Mr. Clean. I only used about a cap-full in a few gallons of water, so I feel like it's ok.
Also, if you have any other solutions that work great for you on the outside of your canvas beds, please let me know!
Thanks so much!
Heidi

When I had a pop-up. We cleaned with soap and a little bleach every spring.    Then sprayed down with waterproofing. We picked it up at Dick's sporting goods.  About 2 cans.

I just cleaned our Forest River Shamrock hybrid pop-outs using the recommended Oxy-Clean solution.  Cleaned off well and yet I am a pessimist, so I will be re-spraying with waterproofing, myself.

you said vinyl.
My old popup had vinyl tenting.  I really don't think any waterproofing is necessary with it.  That applies more to the old fashioned woven canvas stuff.
It's really more about keeping it clean.  One might consider some of the various vinyl "conditioners", such as armor all, but i never did.  You might need some seam seal at any seams if a leak ever did develop there.  I never did have issue with that though either.

sidenote suggestion:
http://www.popupgizmos.com/
I put them on my old pup, and really liked them. help keep the tenting cleaner and the work for shading the bunks well and for the thermal insulation too.
I jury rigged this idea up, but i would consider asking them to sew Velcro along the top edge.  I used stick on stuff, and placed the mating part inside the roof, and I just left the gizmos in place even when folded up.  They lived on the pup several years till I traded it in....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom