Dumb Question From Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MetriRN

Hiya:

I just bought a 98 Dodge 3500 American Cruiser van conversion and am trying to learn about the various equipments so I can take it on the road.  I'm a total RV virgin, but have been reading the manuals, forums, FAQs, articles, and such.  But one question I cannot find an answer to is this:

On my rig I have two inputs for water:  1 is just a hole behind a locked panel that says "Potable Water" or "Drinking Water".  The other is a hose connection to hook up to a faucet. Are there two different fresh water tanks?  One for drinking and one for toilet/bathing/washing up?  Or do both water inlets go to the same tank.  This one of my many mysteries of the week.  TIA!

Generally one fills the tank, then you run the onboard water pump for use, the other connection pressurizes the water system from a hose for use without filling the tank.

kdbgoat said:
the other connection pressurizes the water system from a hose for use without filling the tank.

Sometimes there is a valve in the ater system which when you open it, you're able to fill your fresh water tank.

kdbgoat said:
Generally one fills the tank, then you run the onboard water pump for use, the other connection pressurizes the water system from a hose for use without filling the tank.

Thanks!  So I take that to mean when I'm hooked up by hose I don't need the water pump to be on, correct?

MetriRN said:
Thanks!  So I take that to mean when I'm hooked up by hose I don't need the water pump to be on, correct?

That is correct. But be aware that your plumbing will be pressurized at the same pressure coming from your water source. It is always best to use a water pressure regular before hooking up to city water (campground etc). That will ensure that the pressure is not too strong for your plumbing lines.

As a side note ... I NEVER leave the water on at source when I leave my RV. If you every have a leak or burst water line it will make one heck of a mess. Just turn it back on when you return.

Same with the water pump. If I am using water from the fresh water tank I NEVER leave the pump ON. I just turn it on as needed. AND ... I would never leave it on if I was leaving the RV for any length of time.

Karsty said:
As a side note ... I NEVER leave the water on at source when I leave my RV. If you every have a leak or burst water line it will make one heck of a mess. Just turn it back on when you return.

Genius!  We don't stay hooked up usually long enough, but I will remember this. Great advice!

If I'm leaving my RV for a few minutes or as far as that goes, a few hours, I do not shut off my water. If I was to leave for overnight, I probably would turn it off.
I would highly recommend you get a pressure regulator. Don't buy one of the cheap ones you get at a RV store or Walmart like this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/14504323?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009149818&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839137072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652130552&veh=sem 

Get one like this. They are adjustable:
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regulator-Lead-free-Adjustable-A01-1117tm/dp/B00KH7RFVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467312608&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+adjustable+water+regulator

Rene T said:
If I'm leaving my RV for a few minutes or as far as that goes, a few hours, I do not shut off my water. If I was to leave for overnight, I probably would turn it off.
I would highly recommend you get a pressure regulator. Don't buy one of the cheap ones you get at a RV store or Walmart like this:  http://www.walmart.com/ip/14504323?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&adid=22222222227009149818&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40839137072&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=78652130552&veh=sem 

this is useful thanks for sharing man!
Get one like this. They are adjustable:
https://www.amazon.com/Pressure-Regulator-Lead-free-Adjustable-A01-1117tm/dp/B00KH7RFVI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1467312608&sr=8-2&keywords=rv+adjustable+water+regulator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom