Newbie Wanting a Generator

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan Ellis

Hey guys!  New to the forum here and I would appreciate some generator help.

I have a small T@B teardrop (30 amp system) and want to get a generator for it.....mostly to run the A/C.  It has a 5000 BTU window unit that only pulls about 5 amps.  This tab also has a very small TV, plus the normal electrical stuff.....lights, etc.

Anyway, I'm getting Honda 2000i.  The question is which one..... the 2000i or the 2000i Companion?  I really only need one generator, so the salesman said I could get the 2000i Companion as a stand alone unit so I could use the included 30 amp outlet on the generator then just plug it in and go.    Or.....should I get the original 2000i which has two 15 amp plugs and use an 30 amp plug adaptor to power the trailer? 

I would appreciate anyone's technical expertise especially if you have a 2000i.  I'm a TT newbie and want to get it right before I spend $1000 on a generator.  Thanks so much!

Attachments

• Tab.JPG
    Tab.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 14
Is that 5 amps, startup? If so either one would work. I have two of the 2000i s because I had one and got a good deal on a second one BUT I had to get an adapter to have a 30 amp plug and that cost me some money. If I were you I'd get the companion and, if you ever decide you need more power for an RV upgrade or for anything else you could always just get a second Honda, but the 2000i.

Well, you aren't gonna get 30A out of either of them, regardless of the outlet. 30A is 3600 watts, afterall, and the 2000i produces only 1600 watts continuous, with a  2000W peak output available for short durations.  Continuous output is 13.3A, so that's what you are going to live with regardless..

I think the standard EU2000i has 20A rated outlets, not 15A, so you can still get the full 2000W peak power.  Get an adapter that is rated for 20A rather than 15, if you can. If not, get one that has several inches of wire between male & female plugs. During high loading (anything over 12A), those shed heat better than the solid male/female integrated type. 
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Park-Power-1530ARV-15A-30A-RV-Adapter/50442234

By the way, the 30A outlet is a twist lock type so still needs an adapter for the RV plug.

If moneys.no.object  go with the Honda 2000 or the Yamaha 2000 watt inverter generator.  They are very quiet  and will run your ac, lights, fridge and entertainment center no proble.    But will not run your hot water heater on electric.    You should also.be ablet to use your.micro but it at the same time as the ac.    Mabey but border line..... just pick up a 30 to 15 amp adaptor

They are very quiet  and will run your ac, lights, fridge and entertainment center no proble.    But will not run your hot water heater on electric.

It will run the water heater just fine, but not much of anything else while doing so. Same as for the a/c. The water heater electric and the a/c draw roughly the same amount of power, about 1400 watts, and either one will tax the 2000i to near its normal limit (1600W).

Six of one, a half dozen of the other.  If you're ever going to sell the Honda, it may be a bit easier to sell the regular Eu2000i instead of the Companion, just because people are more comfortable with the standard outlets.

As far as paralleling two of them, it's just a matter of connecting the two AC outputs together and starting one and then the other.  The second one automatically syncs itself to the first.

The t@b camper is tiny.  And do sent have a monster roof top ac  unit.  It has a 5000btu window unit.  Only need about 500 watts to run. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom