2015 F-350 "Trailer Disconnected" (no brakes)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Hyde

Hi all,

2015 Ford F-350.  Last weekend while traveling, I got a Trailer Disconnected message.  Pulled over, and everything seems to work except trailer brakes.  My truck has separate cartridge fuses for "trailer tow" and "RV trailer brakes".  I checked both visually, but the fuses are hard to extract and I was unable to confirm that they aren't blown.

I am thinking the first step should be to confirm that the 7-pin has braking voltage, yes?  If so, is that something I can measure at all times?  In other words, the integrated controller will be sending voltage to the 7-pin with nothing else connected?

Thanks,
Phil

This might help.  I used it when I had a trailer brake/controller problem a couple of years ago and it save a lot of time in finding the source of the problem.  Bought mine at Amazon.

Tekonsha 6562 7-Way Blade Tester and Trailer Emulator with LED Display

Here's a link to that Tekonsha 7-pin plug tester
https://www.amazon.com/Tekonsha-6562-Trailer-Emulator-Display/dp/B004BCA9B8/ref=sr_1_1

Basically, the brake pin has power only when the brake pedal is pressed or the manual braking lever on the controller is pushed. Digital controllers often pulse or send a low voltage across it as a means to detect whether the circuit is present or not (that's how you got the "Disconnected" message), but you may not be able to detect that reliably. Have somebody activate the brake controller while you check for voltage at the pin.

I would hook up the truck to the trailer and pull the pin from the break away switch then try to move the trailer. That will at least eliminate any issues on the trailer side I believe.

Thanks, Gary!

Rene T said:
I would hook up the truck to the trailer and pull the pin from the break away switch then try to move the trailer. That will at least eliminate any issues on the trailer side I believe.

That's also a great idea.  Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom