Top Ten Gadgets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Smoky said:
How do you folks in motorhomes deal with this shade issue?? I have seen the screened in outside rooms and do not like them.? ?I want simple shade and open air.? Also it looks like I will need a ladder to hang patio lites.? I was hoping to get away with carrying just my footstool.

Smoky ,
I think a ladder is required equipment. ( for tree trimming, windshield washing, window washing)? We have one that collapses into itself allowing for very easy storage? in a bay.? I bought patio lights and have NEVER used them.? They were off loaded a few years ago.? WE don't have that easy groove method to attach things to awning either.? They make these two part clips that attach to the awning with one clip and the other clip is ready to hang your stuff.? I think you could get a bunch of those and have a screen made to your custom size using the material of the wind shield cover and clip it to the awning. The places that make? screens are very accommodating and since it would just be straight seams, I can't see how it could cost much.? ?Or you can do what Terry and I do.? When the sun moves to the side so awning won't shade us, we move our chairs to the other side of the rig and the motorhome provides the shade we need.? We tend not to want too many impediments to getting the awning up in a hurry as we travel to so many places where the wind comes up so fast you need to get awning down ASAP.? (ala Quartzsite)
Betty

Smoky

>>I don't like my new motorhome awning.? It does not give much protection from the sun except for the inside of the coach, which of course is a great help.<<

You probably have a curbside slide out in your living room. Thats why I don't like them, it is also harder to get into your curbside bays & the slide impedes into your outside living area. Depending on how far out & the angle of your awning you could possibly attach a shade screen to it.

Terry
At Clark Fork, ID

Terry and Betty, you are right.  The curbside slideout is certainly the source of our problems.  It forces the awning to maintain a high profile and cannot come down low enough for outside shade.  Part of the fun of RVing, figuring out innovative solutions.  ;D

I have one of those telescoping ladders too.  What a great contrapion!  I have had mine for the house, with an eye towards going full time.  Easy to stow, solid for use.  Saw my first one at a county fair, I stopeed and stared about 20 minutes.  Later it was available on HOme Shopping and Jolene ordered it for my birthday. 

The tabs for the groove are available all ove.  Patio lights, only if they are chile peppers.

Got this idea from Ned and Lorna - an electronic bug zapper! Shaped like a small tennis racquet and strung with wires, you push a button to charge it up and then sneak up on the little buggers and fry them ;D Works great. Told Susie about it and she said "Oh, you mean like this one?" and then she produced the exact thing I was trying to describe. Some bugs fry better than others, but the thrill is in the chase!!!

Oh!  I love trashy chile pepper patio lights!!  ;D

Karl, I think you may have invented a new RVing sport.

Now I am hoping someone will point me to a web site where I can see one of those telescoping ladders.  Cost?  Weight?  Collapsed length?

Smoky

Smoky  Our was around $200 weighs about 10 15 pounds collapsed, about the same when extended.  Mine is 12.5 ft extended, about 27 inches or so collapsed. 

I love mine.

I have a question regarding the collapsable ladders.....don't those have a weight limit?? ??? Most of the ones I've seen have a loading limit of 225 lbs, which after a winter of no dieting, I now no longer qualify for. Guess it's time to lay off the beer and restart my one hour feasting habits.....  ;D

David Derway
'96 Windsor

Smoky  My wife ordered mine on a shopping channel, but I have seen them at Lowes or Home Depot.  As to the weight limit, yes, 225 is it for mine.  After climbing up and down, and doing all the yard work, I can carry 60 pounds of breicks up and stay within guidelines. 

Good idea, I can dring the ice tea and sit, heck, she BOUGHT the ladder...  Well, the brick carrying is done anyway.  Ladder has a nce storage spot, and on we go.

I get away with the extra capacity due to my 6 weeks of hard labor getting thigs ready.  My shorts fell offI lost so much waist.

I know someone that might want to get 2 ladders so the he can put 1 foot on each!!!
................. I didn't mention a name!!? ?:D :D :D

Not that I have it, but the most decadent nonessential I've seen is a trio of cheezy pink flamingoes in front of a gorgeous big new Monaco a couple rows over from here.? The front flamingo, several times as big as the other two, is hollow and lined with pink, alternately blinking, lights, while the head and neck dip up and down.? Frankly, I think these brave people are in the True spirit of this topic.?

For myself, I had Chinook dump the VCP and install my Playstation2 in my audiovisual wall.? They hooked it up to the TV, but I have since changed the wiring to my computer.? Bigger screen and easier to see.? I have about a dozen games and cheat guides.

My other decadence is to buy DVD movies when I think I might like them.? I have about 180 and have given away another hundred or so.? I also have the "Are You Being Served?" series, and a couple other old shows.? I leave the DVD cases in storage and carry the disks in a book to save space.?

Missy my cat has a 3-story kitty condo up in the cockpit between driver's and passenger's seats.? She really loves it, and I finally found one that is a perfect design.? When we're on the road, it's by a window so she can look out.? We're in a relatively small 24' RV, so our decadent toys take on more significance with regard to available space.

We have a couple other things.? It's playtime.

I have a wonderful, lightweight, folding dolly with gurney type wheels, huge tongue, and 275 lb capacity.  I use it mainly for laundry, but it helped my neighbor haul blocks this winter.

--pat

Pat:

Lately I have found myself collecting DVDs also.  I am primarily drawn by the magnificent sound the newer ones provide.  Even in our coach we have a very credible theater surround system and woofer.  Not awesome, but much fun to hear.  Almost, but not quite as good as the one we are leaving behind, and much more compact.  It is amazing how small the boxes are getting for decent sound.

At any rate, I get the best sound from a good DVD.  Next best from satellite, followed by VCR.  This has led me into some decadent DVD spending.  I wonder if folks ever trade DVDs at rallies?

Smoky:  My Chinook has surround sound (assuming you can "surround" somebody in a 24' motorhome).

I'm thinking of looking at larger, flat screen monitors.  Something that is a fully functional TV, but also has a video in for a computer.  High resolution.  Maybe  27" screen.  I'd be only 5 feet from it, so not too big.  Don't know if HDTV would be desirable.  I'm not sure where that technology stands.

Hope I haven't given away any movies you'd want at a swap meet.  My computer does a great job copying copiable VHS tapes and making movie-like DVDs, so I've bought a couple of my old favorite classics that come only on tape and copied them.  I have three more to do, but I forgot I don't have a VCR.  Have to wait till I get back to AZ to do that project.

--pat

NC DaveD said:
I have a question regarding the collapsable ladders..

There is a ladder called the "little Giant" it's is a very different ladder, it is a collaspable step/extension ladder

It's rated at 300 LBS and will likely hold a bit more (most do) sadly it's cost about a dollar a pound (I think it's 349 or 399)

One thing to consider if pursching an EXTENSION ladder is ladder booties, These are foam caps that go on the TOP end of the ladder to prevent "Scuffing" of the wall it leans against.  I'm told they are "Hard to find' by a professional

Don't know how true that is.. I looked for them in exactly one place,  And if you read this statement you will understand:

IT is the LAST place I'll ever look for them in this area

(They sell them by pairs or by the dozen, your choice (Case lots are six pair)

Ladder Supply, Telegraph Road, north of 5 Mile Rd, Redford (I think) Michigan (Else Detroit, not sure just where the line is)

They also carry the Little Giant... So does either Home Depot or Lowes, and a few other lumber yeards I've visited

Collasped the Little Giant is about 5 or 6 feet, Extended it's something like 15 feet, As a step ladder I'm not sure

GOOGLE hit on a site that has them for $319.00    And I was wrong on the size too.

IT comes in many sizes... The following text is from the one featured in TV ads

The Little Giant is versatile. The 22' version replaces all 5', 6', 7', 8', and 9' "A" frames. It also replaces 22' extension, 2 scaffolding trestles, and staircase ladders. In fact, it would take nearly $600 to replace the capabilities of the Little Giant. Even then, you would still lack the versatility, durability and storage benefits.

Unbelievably, it stores in just 5'7" of space. And weighs about 40 pounds. Shorter sizes weigh less and store in even less space. As if that weren't enough, the Little Giant's adjustable nature allows it to be safely used on stairs, ramps, curbs, docks, or other uneven surfaces.

John:

Last week at Granite Hill Park near Gettysburg, I saw an even smaller telescoping ladder.  It telescoped down to about the size of a yardstick.  That is the one I want.  Now it does not go 22 feet, but I don't need something that long.  It would reach the top of my MH.  I do not need it to get on the roof... the coach ladder handles that.  Just to be able to get up high enough to scrub the upper regions of the sides and caps.

Costco has something like the Little Giant.  I hefted a Little Giant and found I couldn't even get it off the ground.  Crossed it off my shopping list.  I wanted to get the one that separates into two ladders with a platform to create a scaffold.  I never need a ladder enough to haul that heavy set around.  The one I tried to lift was the size of one of the two ladders in the kit as seen on TV.  I read quite a few reviews about it.  Possible Amazon has it and some comments.

--pat

Back
Top Bottom