EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Checking my brake controller  (Read 580 times)

5erorT

• ---
Checking my brake controller
« on: June 30, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 club-cab with a six pin connection and a brake controller installed under the steering column. My wife and I will be renting a trailer to test the waters of trailering. The trailer is in Fresno and we are coming in from San Diego. Is there any way to test the controller BEFORE I get to Fresno?. I'd rather not find out the controller (or the connector) has issues and have to pay for a fix on the day I hook up.

I do have a meter and basic skills on how to use it. Just need assistance on the pin-outs and what the meter should say when I test.

Any help appreciated.

Rene T

• ---
  • Great being on the right side of the grass
Re: Checking my brake controller
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 08:04:46 AM »
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 club-cab with a six pin connection and a brake controller installed under the steering column. My wife and I will be renting a trailer to test the waters of trailering. The trailer is in Fresno and we are coming in from San Diego. Is there any way to test the controller BEFORE I get to Fresno?. I'd rather not find out the controller (or the connector) has issues and have to pay for a fix on the day I hook up.

I do have a meter and basic skills on how to use it. Just need assistance on the pin-outs and what the meter should say when I test.

Any help appreciated.

When you say six pin connection I assume you mean the electrical receptacle by you rear bumper which the trailer plugs into. I think you'll find, it's a 7 pin connector.
Rene & Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
You likely have the 7 blade wiring on this diagram: http://www.hopkinstowingsolutions.com/doc/trailer-wiring-codes.pdf

5erorT

• ---
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 07:20:49 PM »
I see six tabs + there is a double tab (split round) in the center which would make it seven.
I have attached a photo but it may not display (as I am a new member?)

Thanks lynnmor, the diagram should help a bunch

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 07:51:08 AM »
Yes, the center connection is the seventh and is used for back-up lights.

5erorT

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 06:34:47 PM »
Ill be checking it all tomorrow as well as changing the 16 quarts of oil :o

Thanks for the info lynnmor.
RV Forum assistance to date - 10 of 10

Hosted by Over The Network