Checking my brake controller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

5erorT

I have a 2000 F250 7.3 club-cab with a six pin connection and a brake controller installed under the steering column. My wife and I will be renting a trailer to test the waters of trailering. The trailer is in Fresno and we are coming in from San Diego. Is there any way to test the controller BEFORE I get to Fresno?. I'd rather not find out the controller (or the connector) has issues and have to pay for a fix on the day I hook up.

I do have a meter and basic skills on how to use it. Just need assistance on the pin-outs and what the meter should say when I test.

Any help appreciated.

5erorT said:
I have a 2000 F250 7.3 club-cab with a six pin connection and a brake controller installed under the steering column. My wife and I will be renting a trailer to test the waters of trailering. The trailer is in Fresno and we are coming in from San Diego. Is there any way to test the controller BEFORE I get to Fresno?. I'd rather not find out the controller (or the connector) has issues and have to pay for a fix on the day I hook up.

I do have a meter and basic skills on how to use it. Just need assistance on the pin-outs and what the meter should say when I test.

Any help appreciated.

When you say six pin connection I assume you mean the electrical receptacle by you rear bumper which the trailer plugs into. I think you'll find, it's a 7 pin connector.

I see six tabs + there is a double tab (split round) in the center which would make it seven.
I have attached a photo but it may not display (as I am a new member?)

Thanks lynnmor, the diagram should help a bunch

Attachments

• f250 Trailer connection.jpg
    f250 Trailer connection.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 22
Yes, the center connection is the seventh and is used for back-up lights.

Ill be checking it all tomorrow as well as changing the 16 quarts of oil :eek:

Thanks for the info lynnmor.
RV Forum assistance to date - 10 of 10

Back
Top Bottom