Cat - outside kennel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arkansas

We have a 9 month old inside kitten.  We will let her venture out on porch for a few minutes but that's about it.  We are new to camping and I would like to take her with us. I've read lots of threads about traveling with pets and have seen some great advice. I will be getting her a harness and leash and introduce her to this at home. She always THINKS she wants to go out! I will also be introducing her to the tt while its at home. And introducing  her to traveling in vehicle for longer than quarter mile, which is all she has known since she adopted us!

My curiosity is, do cat owners maybe use a kennel outside for their babies to be out with them. My thoughts have been to purchase a metal (hate to say) cage such as a dog kennel for her.  My thought is to put on a table so ants and such might be a nuisance . Just wondering what others use.

I have seen a post where others have shared their window boxes! I think that is pretty cool!

I have three cats and I never let them outside. Once they get fleas getting rid of them is a real problem. They get into your carpet and breed and are with you forever.

We have a cat that is leash trained and we wish we hadn't done it.  It seems he wants to go out all the time.  We do have a cage that goes in a window in the motorhome.

Oh wow! I wasn't expecting that advise! Anxious to hear from others! @SellerBird do you not use a flea treatment or collar to prevent fleas? And @wackymac did you buy the window cage or make it?

Arkansas said:
Oh wow! I wasn't expecting that advise! Anxious to hear from others! @SellerBird do you not use a flea treatment or collar to prevent fleas? And @wackymac did you buy the window cage or make it?
It took me over a year to finally rid my cats of fleas. I used all kinds of stuff trying to get rid of them. I finally used Advantage and Novartis. I also comb them daily with a flea comb. I don't use flea collars because they have to be in contact with the cats skin in order to be effective, and then their fur gets worn off. Not worth it. Plus they don't really work all that well. Great Horned Owl has a great outdoor cat enclosure and I am sure he will be checking in soon. Personally I don't see the need to let my cats outside. Too many chances something could go wrong and there is no advantage to putting them outside.

Out cat spends many hours outside the RV on a long leash, most every day. Same at home. Our previous cat, an RVer for 16 years, enjoyed an occasional evening walk on a leash, or even better, a ride in a pet carriage (that my sister-in-law gave us), but otherwise was content to sit in an open window all day long.

Fleas &  ticks can be dealt with using systemic treatments, e.g. Frontline or Advantage, but as Seilerbird says, it is a terrible for both humans and furry child if they ever get infested.

My cats have been indoor cats for about five years. They don't care; they know where the food comes from and they just bask in air-conditioning and heating until it's chow time.

As for an outdoor cage/enclosure, that's called "bait."

In my current CG for a bit more than a year, three cats have gone missing. In the area we have foxes, dogs, birds and a few coyotes. IMHO the people who let them out are guilty of animal abuse.

When we are sitting outside, our two cats sit out with us. They've been trained not to wander off, and they understand that the command "go home" meant that they should head back to the door. they sometimes need a little encouragement to obey, but theyy do understand.

When we are not sitting out, they have a screen room to use. The supports are adjustable length paint roller poles. The brown gizmos on the sides are brackets to fasten it to a platform on the rear bumper when we travel.

When I get around to rebuilding it, it will have a sloped roof so that I don't get a shower when taking it down.

Joel

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Outside.jpg
    Outside.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 33
And down here in Florida we also have gators.
And owls and ospreys too. We always make sure the cat is inside by dusk because one got carried off by an owl last winter.

Whether any pet is safe or not outside obviously depends on where you are. Think about their ability to escape another predator if you decide to tie or cage them outside, unattended. Also consider that the sun gets hot on dark fur, even if the air temperature is mild. Unlike dogs, cats can handle a lot of heat but they still prefer to get under something for both shade and protection.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom