replacing the vinyl wallpaper in my Winnebago Brave.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yellowroses

The wood grained vinyl wall paper in my twenty year old Winnebago Brave is peeling in spots. I could glue it back down, but the color scheme was dated when it was manufactured and I would rather replace it with wallpaper in some areas and with a coat of paint in other areas.

Can I just peel the paper off and apply wallpaper? Is any special prep needed?

Can I simply use primer and a good quality acrylic paint or do I need special prep to cover the wall with a coat of paint? Can use acrylic? Do I need to peel off wall paper first in the paint areas?

Thanks for taking the time with what might seem to you a silly set of questions.

Sincerely,
Kate and the standard poodles (Plus Thomas, their cat.)

Almost all Rv's have the panels with the vinyl paper pre-glued on it. You can paint right over it; prep is the key. Make sure you clean really well with something like TSP.  I would imagine you could paper over it too. Just peel the peeling part off, and sand to even it out. Again, clean really good for best adhesion. Good luck! =)

When we repainted those wall panels we used Kilz as primer. It provides terrific adhesion and we have had no problem at all with the paint.

Elly

Elly...did you use standard kilz which is an oil base or their latex base version? My concern was the dampening of the covering and then it wrinkling or pulling off the actual "board" part of the panel.

Brad

We are just now about to apply paint to a small wall with wall paper we dislike. I purchased Kilz oil based primer...had it tinted to match the paint and will apply interior oil based satin paint as a finish. Would definitely would not use a latex paint. But remember the oil based will take nearly 24 hours to dry.

I painted a boat trailer with behr marquie paint primer,,,water base... 5 years later still look like new..

I use it on rv walls .... no problems....more the problem I see is knowing how to paint and paint all of the wall and not all over every thing else

I too used Kilz as a primer when I was having my rv walls repainted.You could actually repurpose your old wallpaper in a lot of ways.If the pattern or the color of the wallpaper reminds you of any particular theme like a garden or a sunny beach then you could cut the pieces and use it as a wall mural in the bedroom.You could even use it as tea coasters or on greeting cards.Here is a blog that I found from red bins that mentions some tips on how to recycle : http://www.redbins.ca/start-recycling-home-easy-tips/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom