EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Thor buys Jayco...  (Read 1723 times)

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Thor buys Jayco...
« on: July 01, 2016, 11:11:37 AM »
Yet another independent RV maker bites the dust. The Bontrager family is selling Jayco to Thor Industries, for a reported $576M.  The Jayco company includes the Entegra coach brand, Starcraft and Highland Ridge brands as well as the Jayco brand itself.

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/thor-announces-acquisition-of-jayco-for-576-million-300293191.html

Great financial move for the Bontrager family, I'm sure, but I'm sorry to see yet another brand rolled up into an industrial conglomerate. Inevitably there will be a consolidation of styling, designs and production to achieve "economy of scale" and maximize profits.

Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Gizmo

• ---
Re: Thor buys Jayco...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:45:51 AM »
Thank you for sharing this. Sad for sure.
Regards, Bruce, Lin An, Kenji & Suki
2017 Eagle Cap 1165 Truck Camper With Tork Lift Fast Gun Tie Downs & T.L. Wobble Stoppers
2015 Ram Big Horn 3500 CC Cummins TD Dually 3:73 Gears & AISIN Tranny
Gone But not forgotten:
2014 Northwoods Snow River 246RKS &
2013 Aliner Expedition

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
From what I've been hearing from folks I've talked to lately about their Jayco's, it might be an improvement. I've talked to a lot of dissatisfied Jayco owners in the last year.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Sy52

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 08:39:12 PM »
Haven't purchased an RV yet but I guess this will make them more expensive when I take the plunge after I finish school. Bummer.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 12:22:12 PM »
but I guess this will make them more expensive when I take the plunge after I finish school. Bummer.

Hard to say. The RV industry is extremely price competitive, one might even say "cut-throat", but consolidation like this is bound to reduce competition a little. Thor is sure to avoid competing with themselves and they own a major part of the trailer business.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Oldedit

• ---
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 09:53:30 PM »
RVDailyReport.com doesn't like the deal, but some commenters do.

http://rvdailyreport.com/opinion/opinion-the-more-things-change-expect-them-to-stay-the-same/
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 12.17-
2013 Itasca Reyo T 2012-12.12.17
2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes (Freightliner)
Colorado 2009-2012
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot Stick with Blue Ox

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 09:24:43 AM »
I share the opinion of RV Daily Report. Big business has some advantages, e.g. more stability and better capital resources to fund new plants and product development, but they are also notable for being unresponsive to consumers and stifling creativity. Neither Thor nor Forest River are well known for customer service and their products are no better (or worse) than anyone else's.

I'm also alarmed at Lippert (LCI) swallowing up suppliers left & right. LCI is good at making money but only mediocre at making products, and the companies they gobble up typically cut back on their customer interface & support, remove online access to information, and reduce warranty service.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:21:07 PM »
From what I've been hearing from folks I've talked to lately about their Jayco's, it might be an improvement. I've talked to a lot of dissatisfied Jayco owners in the last year.

Well then, they'll fit in real well with Thor.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Oldedit

• ---
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2016, 05:20:23 PM »
I share the opinion of RV Daily Report. Big business has some advantages, e.g. more stability and better capital resources to fund new plants and product development, but they are also notable for being unresponsive to consumers and stifling creativity. Neither Thor nor Forest River are well known for customer service and their products are no better (or worse) than anyone else's.

I'm also alarmed at Lippert (LCI) swallowing up suppliers left & right. LCI is good at making money but only mediocre at making products, and the companies they gobble up typically cut back on their customer interface & support, remove online access to information, and reduce warranty service.

Yes, Lippert is a huge problem for RV makers and customers. Manufacturers must find better suppliers.
2014 Newmar Ventana 4037 12.17-
2013 Itasca Reyo T 2012-12.12.17
2006 Roadtrek Adventurous Mercedes (Freightliner)
Colorado 2009-2012
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot Stick with Blue Ox

Hosted by Over The Network